Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketches and stuff

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
After quite a long hiatus from doing art i'm starting to get back into it. With a vengence. I've been trying to sketch every day. Trying to draw stuff from imagination as well as what I see. I'm also taking a figure drawing class that starts in a week or so. Hopefully i'll impove quite allot there as well. I know i have some serious problems with what i'm drawing. I know my perspective is almost always off on stuff i draw from imagination. I also have a really hard time blocking in what i see correctly without having to redraw it multiple times. Allot of times i wont even notice that i've screwd up on proportionis when i'm drawing what i see untill i start rendering. Something else i'm trying to work on but am not sure how to really improve other than to continue doing it untill i can get it right.

also did a little crappy fish head model so i could make sure i remembed how to do teh 3D stuff.

and the pics
fishHead.jpg
Never did finish skinning the fins...oh well.
girl01.jpg
bonus points to those who can place what website the ref pics were from for these two girls.
girl02.jpg
hand.jpg
Scott Robertson Gnomon DVD for the win!!!
sketch-6_14.jpg
sketch-6_15.jpg
sketch-6_21.jpg
sketch-6_22.jpg
sketch-6_25.jpg
sketch-6_26.jpg
sketch-6_27.jpg

and a quick z brush thingie done while on the phone with someone at work.
zhead01.jpg

anyways. crits and comments always welcome. I'm aware of most of what i need to work on. lets just hope i can learn something from my figured drawing class.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    been a long time since we seen you around, welcome back smile.gif

dig the fish head model and where the ZB3 sculpt is headed.
    as to the sketches, i like the girl sketches, overall they tend to be stronger than others... but you're on the right track for improvement. i think something good for you to practice are heads drawn via oval/circle and proper construction axes... that's one of the biggest troubles of that first girl's head sketch is that her left eye is left swimming somewhere in her head. the same "feature float" problem is showing up elswhere, too, so giving yourself more grounding/foundational sketch lines should help improve overall quality quite a bit.
    keep posting, and lets see your daily sketches posted in the sketch thread! smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    man_o_mule. TBH , dont lke the sketches, but like the models/textures.
    I suppose you don't have to be good at both.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    thanks Gauss, you've always been one to nudge me along with some insperational words and some spot on constructive critiques. Hope i can keep up with doing daily sketches. i'll start posting them in the sketch thread too. My sketching time is usually limited to when i'm on the phone at work and dont need to be typing anything. Usually only about an hour to two hours a day broken up into 5 to 10 min segments over 9 hours.

Ruz: glad you like something here. But i'm under the belief that modelers do need to have the basics of proportion, perspective and composition and be able to at least apply these ideas to paper as well as being able to apply them to 3D. Thus i'm going light on the 3D work right now, and diving head (face?) first into the 2D stuff.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah , least you are trying, my sketching bites:)
    But if I was to give advice i would say do more modelling/texturing as you seem to have more natural aptitude for that side of things IMHO.
    I have never had to do concept stuff in my job, just finished models/textures and it never held me back
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i like metal creature's head