Home General Discussion

Repetitive Wrist Action...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
No...not that repetitive wrist based activity... blush.gif

I've recently gotten an internship pushing polys with a medical visualization company here in NYC. The current project I'm working on is reconstructing a broken ankle from CAT scan data, and due to its deadline and nature of how the model is being constructed, has me performing a lot of repetitive wrist motions for about 10+ hours a day. This is leading to my wrist becoming tired/painful. I've tried switching between using my wacom tablet, and using my mouse, to change up the motions during the day, but that only relieves it for a little while. Any suggestions on how to keep the wrist from burning out during those long work days?

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Read up on carpal tunnel. I found some good excercise processes when researching it. One that I found that helped was putting your arm out fairly straight, make a fist, then rotate your fist in a clockwise circle. Then after 12 rotations, reverse the direction... repeat.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    In the long run, you really have a lot of options as far as grip training, yoga, etc. and I suggest looking into these outside activities to keep your wrists healthy in the future.

For your goals, you need something quick and fast you can do at your desk. Start with wrist stretches. Check out the last images in the beginner and intermediate sections here
    http://www.frixo.com/sites/fitness/stretches.html
    You'll see some nice wrist stretches. That said, I suggest hitting the rest of the stretches too.

From there, try push-ups or at least push-up holds (where you just hold your body in the top position). This is an effective stretch on the wrist. If you feel comfortable doing it try holding pushups with palms up (back of hands on the ground). This will stretch the wrists in the opposite direction. Finally, push-ups on fists for wrist stability. As you advance, you'll be able to "jump" between these three positions, but don't try that until you're comfortable with these positions.

Finally, here's an 8 minute video of grip training you can perform anywhere. This gets fairly advanced, but starts off easy enough.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HTc-VRRbl0E

Ideally, stronger, more developed your hands and wrists are, the less chance of pain and greater prevention of injury. I strongly suggest getting up A LEAST once and hour and perform some of these stretches and exercises.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I have bad Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist. It actually prevents me from doing normal push-ups. I have to do push-ups on fists, instead of my palms. Putting a lot of pressure on my bent back palm causes severe pain.

If you catch it early enough, you can get some cortico-steroid shots in the inflamed area - usually heads the problem off. If you're past that point, there's always release surgery (not a good time). Release surgery can take several weeks to recover from.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Thankfully I'm not at carpal tunnel yet, no tingling sensation or numbness. My wrist just hurts when I extend it too much, and it feels like someones tightened a belt around it, like a sore muscle feeling after a work-out. Thanks for the advice so far guys, I'll try it out. Does anyone know if those wrist brace things help?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Heres a couple good stretches I use for climbing and for long days at the computer.

Extend your arms straight out from your sides at shoulder height and face your palms outward and fingers upward. Do some shoulder rolls along with this one as well.

Get on your knees with arms straight hands flat on the floor facing forward. Turn the right hand 90 degrees clockwise and then 180 degrees and hold for a few seconds. Repeat for the left arm counter clockwise.

Every 30 minutes or so stand up and stretch your arms skyward like a cat.

Don't neglect your other areas either. Many times stress can build up in places other then your wrists and cause tension. I'm lucky in this area. My wife is a massage therapist wink.gif

Maybe look into some videos on stretching or start a yoga class. My wife and I do stretching vids together in the evenings.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hm, i have one but haven't used it alot really. felt a bit clumsy. i used to use a cycling/mtb-glove with polsters everywhere, that felt alot better.

that being said, i only wear a glove when the temperatures are very high and the forearm/palm would otherwise get sweaty and rub too much against the table. frequent switches from wacom to mouse do it for me otherwise. taking regular breaks and doing sports makes a big difference, too. i'm into cycling/mtb and the very different handpose seems to help bigtime for operating a mouse during the rest of the day. had hardly any pain since i got back into doing that.

check your posture, the angle of your forearm/wrist, maybe try a trackball or a mouse that fits better? some mice are really small and don't fit big hands very well, for example. the mighty mouse with it's squeeze function seems pretty bad as well. some of my coworkers have some kind of pad to rest the forearm onto.

in any case, watch it. i know several people who had to give up careers in CG very early because of this.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    maybe one repetitive wrist action relieves the other ?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    one other thing. Stay hydrated!

If you drink lots of caffeinated beverages be sure to drink enough water. Your hydration effects the elasticity of your tendons.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I got myself one of these. It really helps to use it during and after a hard day on the mouse. Basically the harder you train with it, the more it resists - making your wrist stronger.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    hmm my hands used to cramp up like mad, then i just switched over to using the tablet all the time for everything, and it pretty much stopped, except for when i'm painting as if i'm trying to chisle the damn thing out of stone, which happens sometimes when i'm not paying attention, props to wacom for making sturdy tablets... lol
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i got some wrist pain and tingliness a while ago and my doctor reccommended a gel wrist pad/rest, been using one at home and work and its a lot more comfortable than resting it at an angle on the desk
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Powerballs (http://www.powerballs.com/) are awesome. I was starting to develop numbness until I got one, now I very rarely have pain even from long work sessions. Every time I do get pain, I just (gently) use the powerball a couple times over a day or two and it goes away again.

Don't waste money on expensive metal ones, though. Pointless way to gauge people out of cash.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't waste money on expensive metal ones, though. Pointless way to gauge people out of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

.. but...but ...it's pretty. smile.gif

Look it's got a little box and everything...

IronPower.jpg