Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hybrid Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
timwiese polycounter lvl 9
Here is my current WIP its based on a character concept I drew out for a character design class. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome, this will be the first character I have done a complete normal map for, so this is a relatively new process for me.

Both pictures are grabbed from the perspective viewport in max 9.

viewportgrab2.jpg
The base mesh

viewportgrab1.jpg
Normal Map

Replies

• Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Generally I like it, but the face/head seems to be devoid of the same level of detail as the rest of the character (maybe the normal map isn't showing up right, or maybe the details aren't noticeable at this distance, or maybe you haven't added them yet) but either way, I think that could give him a lot more character than just "normal mapped cyborg guy...#59182". However like you said, as it was a learning experience for normal maps, I have to say you did a pretty nice job.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you are right about adding more detail in his head to match the rest of the character, I had the same comment from a couple people in my class. I'll work on that.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the face detail, but I do want to say I really like the amount of detail it holds in the normal map on the other parts like the torso, good job on that.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with the face detail, but I do want to say I really like the amount of detail it holds in the normal map on the other parts like the torso, good job on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I have been studying anatomy in depth for the last month or so. I am getting pretty confindent in working with muscle structure and bones.
    I will have another update of this soon, I am going to change up his head a bit.