Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Base Head Sculpt

I've been working on this for a while now (i.e. too long), and was kind of on the fence as to whether or not I should post it. It's pretty boring, but I more or less just wanted some feedback on the proportions of the head. I'm sure everyone on #model_design is sick of seeing it by now, so maybe a second opinion will do me some good. smile.gif

I plan on using it as a base for future (human) head sculpts, so I wanted it to keep it looking fairly generic and simple. The polygon distribution is pretty even, and it's constructed entirely from quads (a feat which was harder than I had anticipated). It weighs in at 3,050 triangles (not counting the eyeballs).

Any comments or criticisms are greatly appreciated. Maybe I'll post some finished sculpts that I get out of it when I'm done.

jgarlandHead.png

jgarlandHeadWires.png

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    The eyes appear to be placed a bit high up on the face, they should be almost in the middle. And I don't dig the way that ear looks, it looks...unfinished to me... it's on the right track, but not quite there yet. smile.gif
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had planned on tweaking it in Max. It seems like I'm taking one step forward, and two steps back. I've been working on learning proper anatomy, but it's a long process, and comments like that are certainly a testament to it.

I think maybe I'll do as you suggested, and just scrap the head and keep working on understanding anatomy better. Maybe some studies on paper will do me good.

Thanks for the comments, guys. They're definitely appreciated. smile.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Dont scrap this mesh!! its a wonderful mesh man. The flow is very nice and looks like it can yield itself to be molded into many different faces and from your original brief that sounds like what you were after. As for anatomy, yes part are off. but you can easily fix that with soft selection and ffd's. If you want you can drop that into zbrush and use the tweak tool and push the face around untill It is more "correct" but correct depends totally on what your going for. be it human, monster, monkey ect ect. You have the techy side of this down it would seem, now just train your eye and mind to make this a bit more perportionate. simple anatomy and photos of people will remedy that.

-phil-
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Am i so old that i can remember those days before sculpting apps? laugh.gif

Yes i do agree that sculpting a box in mud or Z will help improve your artistic skills (faster than traditional modeling) but dont leave technical aspect aside, it's just as important.

I agree with Phil: use and abuse this one, it's better than a box because you will have a headstart on the features. You can always go back and rebuild the topo when you are done with the sculpt.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It really helps me get down to work when I'm feeling discouraged. smile.gif

I think I'll try taking the mesh into Mudbox, maintaining the generic look, while tweaking the proportions until they're correct. I could always just export it as an .obj when I'm done and use the tweaked mesh as my base for future sculpts.

I'll post some more updates soon.