Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai Tank and other stories (big images pos)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
hey there everybody

just thought id show some of the crap ive done since working at Ttales,

hoho not much but its gettin there,

deffinatly in no way finished but heres a high poly tank made in Max nearly ready for a low poly cage, still playing with materials etc

tankrenderINT.jpg

tankrender2INT.jpg

tankviews2INT.jpg

last image shows correct colour rivets, also got some crap render issues with the flag.

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and a plane ive done in Maya and Modo (maya for base modelling and modo for the rivets)

plane.jpg

pretty up to speed with maya now, this was my first bit of high poly in maya though, gotta love the split edge ring tool its a godsend
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Holy shit, that plane is awesome. I just came in my pants. Me wants MORE!!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I love the tank, but I think you have too many rivets there. You could remove every-other-one and still have plenty. I like how the tank looks like it has a face.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I would have to agree with Slum on some of the rivets Shepeiro, as of now the rivets feel a little large, and over done. Sorta like rhinestones from that cheesy John Travolta movie, as all I can see are the rivets rather than the tank itself:)( In the rendered shots ). Nice modeling though, on the tank and the plane.

Spark
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the tank threads seem like boxes with no smoothing groups :8 Chamfers are friends-a ! keep going shep , nice hearing from you finnally !

( porco rosso game...*cough*)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Agreeing with everyone else about the rivets.

Also I'm guessing the tank is procedurally generated, but you may want to add a bit of dirt and grime to the cracks using a dirtmap/AO mask. Especially on the treads/wheels I'd expect that there would be a tiny bit of wear smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    this tank is ridiculously awesome
    i think the rivets are plenty cool, as everything else

maybe a (same blue?) color inside the tank head-hole crack? like a glow inside
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    The tank screams MetalSlug. And the plane is awesome too. laugh.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i toned the rivets down in the last image which is more recent by keeping them the same colour as body,

but im keeping how many there are, =P you see the inspiration for this tank came from a mixture of places, samuria helmets, old copper pots and old steam locomotives, and one thing theyve got is rivets by the bucket.

i think once thyre normal mapped onto a low poly mesh and dirt, decals etc are added they will be just right, and (spark)im kind of going for that metalslug over sized look)

the treads are already made (3 different varietys) but at 100k per tread (for the high poly not shwon) im rendering out with the low poly ones as my computer crumples when i try to replace the low with the high.

cheers for the input, even though im gonna completely ignore it MWAhahAHAHHAHHHAH

PS porco is waiting on coder input hoho story of game artists life
  • momoko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice concept.
    Side view of the tank is kinda cute. smile.gif
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    A lot love i see here. Ace work Shepeiro.
    I dig them all without two words. And the design is pretty cool either.
    Gratz man.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers,

the low polys coming on, most of the base low rezed now, needs quite a bit of kleen-up going for rediculus specs on this one (so dont give me that, it would have to come down blahblah) probably gonna use a 2ksq map and hit the 20k tri mark. at 10k now (with tracks with are 5)

shit just realised i left me harddrive at home, no piccys sorry :-P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nesarly time for puttin in the oven and baking.

still needs a bit of cleaning up, esp round side pods

uvws are done but neeed packin

tankwires1INT.jpg

tankwires2INT.jpg
    currently just under 15k polys (high i know but this is designed to be huge) 3rd person character should be able to climb up ladders
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that mesh looks lovely Shep smile.gif
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I'm totally going against the crowd here, but I rather liked the rivets, given the theme (Samurai Tank), since I've seen so many examples of samurai armor that uses that sort of rivet structure. At the very least keep the rivets on the sidewall (enclosed within the treads) silvery, since that was the area that screamed "samurai armor" most to me.

Loving the mesh. And that plane is awesome.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Shep, hehe as soon as you said Metal Slug, I was like...ok dead on:) Looks great, and looking forward to the updates:) Also love what your doing on the Porco Rosso game, I really want to play that game:)

Spark
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok nearlty finishe dthe first pass on the uvws, not that pleased with the res, so im thinking i need to mirror more

metal is temp map at 2k res

tankpoop2.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi

nearly done the baking, just a few bits to fixup then on to painting a decent diffuse

tanklow.jpg