Home Technical Talk

Better Color picker Plugin for PS?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
Ive been painting more in PS lately, and the failings of the scaled down crappy color selection palette are becoming more apparent to me ever day.

I would LOVE to get some kind of color wheel plugin like in Painter, or really anything that doesnt require the amount of fine noodling to get the color i want.

Anyone have any leads for me?

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I tend to use the HSB sliders in the colour tab, lots of control and easier to understand than RGB.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, same at me, i hate photoshop color palette.
    mac version of ps have some color ring, you know=)
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I hate the colour picker too. Lets start a colour picker hate club frown.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    I'd love to have a large (eg. scalable) colour picker (like the one you get when you click your foreground/background-colour thingy to assign to a Function-button so i could have a near-fullscreen one. Also, i wouldn't mind if they'd add midi/osc-message control to PS, so you could link actual tangible sliders or knobs to hsb-sliders (or anything, really. brushsize would be excellent as well)
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    well, no leads but im glad im not the only one.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to have a large (eg. scalable) colour picker (like the one you get when you click your foreground/background-colour thingy to assign to a Function-button so i could have a near-fullscreen one. Also, i wouldn't mind if they'd add midi/osc-message control to PS, so you could link actual tangible sliders or knobs to hsb-sliders (or anything, really. brushsize would be excellent as well)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah even something as simple as that large color window but that sticks around would be way better. Using HSB is about as good as it can get right now and accurate color picking on that tiny strip is pretty futile.

As for the midi idea, Hooooly shit, why didn't i think of that. I would love something like that. you can get some nice small midi consoles with 5 or 6 knobs/sliders that would be perfect for that sorta thing.

We need to petition Adobe. Apparently they are unaware that people paint in their app.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Does anyone on these boards know what's involved with making plugins for Photoshop? It seems like i remember reading a long time ago that they were releasing SDKs but I've never found anything like that.
  • Eric Chadwick
    I asked the guy who made the CoolPicker plugin for Max if he could port it over to PS, but his problem was too many hoops to jump thru to get the SDK. IIRC you have to sign up with the Adobe developer program first, which might require approval, etc.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    dudes, let's find some solution over the internet.
    what i found so far
    http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-blog/05/07/fluid-mask.html
  • Michael Knubben
    Isn't that just a plugin to facilitate the extraction of parts of a photo? Or am i missing something on that website?
    I know the principle, but i haven't actually used it yet, so enlighten us!
    about the midi-integration:
    it *would be amazing, wouldn't it? Especially since the Wii can be made to send midi or osc (which is essentially a newer, more advanced midi-like language, largely unsupported though) through things like glovepie laugh.gif
    Not that this'd be usefull, but a small midi-controller with a handfull of knobs and sliders would be fantastic for this purpose.
    And for the colour-picker i was thinking of something like how i have my brushes-palette set up. I've got it dragged over my entire canvas-area, and i toggle it with F5, and i'd love to have a very large colourpicker to do the same.
    To whoever said "they must not know people paint in their app", yeah, that certainly seems to be the case.

Speaking of plugins we want, i want Portalgraphics to make a PS plugin with their brush-engine. Their colour-mixing is quite lovely, and a hassle-free way of just using it every now and again in PS would be a god-given.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yeah mighty,
    umm, let's look on some cool color swatches then.
  • Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I really like painter's color wheel, I prntscreen it and use it together with the HSB sliders. HSB panel alone is enough but I just like the bigger wheel for no reason.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Schlepping around, I found these...

This looks pretty cool, too bad it's Mac only.
    http://www.humansoftware.com/pages1200/SmartPicker/smartpick_1.html

This one has a color wheel, dunno if it's any good.
    http://www.colorcache.com/colorpicker.shtml