Home General Discussion

i has a motorcycle

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
Living in Europe taught me just how troublesome and expensive it is to own a car. So I finally did what I've only talked about for years. I bought a motorcycle!
ninjapic01.jpg
ninjapic02.jpg
Beauty Shot

It's a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Found it for $2400 on craigslist, including a helmet. Great starter bike and gets up to 70 mpg...which is awesome these days. poly144.gif
I may ride it to the office. I took the MSF course last year, and it was very helpful. Cheap bike, cheap gas, cheap insurance means more money for expensive games! laugh.gif

Post your bikes if you got 'em, or want 'em. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Ninja 650r (mordeth13 fan :P), or maybe a Buell, before winter blows in.

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    haha awesome man! I bought a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250 in may. They call it the ninjette because its not the 600 wink.gif I love it! Congrats though. smile.gif I'll be upgrading next year after i drive my insurance price down. I'll post some of mine on monday or something.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet deal on that bike, GX. A coworker and a friend both got that same bike (in red) recently, and I've been tossing around the idea. My very experienced buddies think I should get something a bit more beefy like the 500, but it's all outta my price range at the moment... having to pay off my '01 'vette for the time being, but gonna start putting away a few bucks anyways. smile.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmmmmmmm...

Gonna give myself one of these for my 25th bday when my insurance goes down.

imgnull_12,517.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Great man, i really would love to have one too, cheap, fast and great for the city.

ChaosEidolon-> that is fantastic! really a beauty.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh vitor, you and bikes. vou-te maze oferecer um triciclo. lol
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Grats Elysium.
    Mine
    Bike pic

Wear a helmet and good body armor.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaos: My 25th is coming up too. Mmm...Ducati Monster eh? They sound great, and I hear they're very reliable. I'm attracted to the naked bike style over the full fairing sport bikes. I'm glad it's getting popular here in the States. I'd prefer good looks over top speed. So something like this or the Buell XB9R would be on my wishlist.

Sean: I've heard Baby Ninja and Lil' Ninja. It's a nice girl bike. laugh.gif My insurance is $85 a year.

Tech: Nice, are you painting it?

Flaag: start small and buy used if you want a low price.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Nice! My course is coming up in a couple weeks.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    gah i so badly want a bike, but im afraid to ride it laugh.gif youv got a great deal there elisium !
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GX.. that's the plan.. and I could get a 250r already, but based on past experiences with buying big pricey things, and going off of my buddies' recommendations, I'm going to save up to get something a little better. Why buy a slice if you're gonna end up wanting the whole pizza anyways. wink.gif

(Then again, if I come across a 250 with a killer deal, may just jump the gun. tongue.gif )
  • Jay Evans
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Good choice GX, a very nice machine.... I really should have a bike - especially living here in the home of the TT races... Some very nice bikes here. I'd go for an old skool Kawasaki Z 1000, awesome machines.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_z_1000_1977.php
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I saw a Ducati Monster driving the other day (same color scheme as the pic Chaos posted). It looked pretty sweet.

Have you seen the new Ducati Sport Classics, though? That's the bike I'd go for if I were to buy a Ducati (if only I had the money). Just looking at the pictures makes my pants fit a little tighter in the crotch area ooo.gif

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-motorcycles/ducati-photos/ducati-sport-classic.jpg
    http://www.rocketworld.org/images/duc_sc1000_800b_72.jpg

shocked.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    The sport classics are cool, but I really would have to get a Multistrada smile.gif

Good job on the bike choice elysium, although I would have leaned towards the 500, you still did goot!

I also share your opinion on the Buells smile.gif
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Elysium. if someone gives you crap about the engine size, remember that your bike is lighter than thiers and can corner faster. Heck, I would trade my 600 for a 250 any day.

Yes, I'm going to repaint the bike. It's on hold for now till I get a garage to work in again. I'm also waiting to get the rest of the bodywork from the previous owner. After all that, it's paint and radial buffer time.

Silly as this may sound here is my dream bike
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GX: Thats exactly what my insurance is. smile.gif You must be married or over 25. wink.gif

ChaosEidolon: The monster is what i was looking at for my next bike! hahaha wtf.

Still have to get some pics of mine... wifey has the camera and i dont know where it is currently.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaag: it's more expensive to drop a whole pizza. :P

Jay: very nice camera setup. why only one video?

Tech: I don't mind the size so much. It sounds good for being so small, keeps up with traffic, and the bike is fun to handle. I've made a few mistakes already, and it has been very forgiving. I would have dropped a larger bike by now. Experienced riders always advise to start with smaller bikes, and work your way up. That makes you a more confident rider. I learned how to ride on a Buell Blast at the MSF course, which is around 500cc. So I feel like I'll outgrow this bike quickly, and move up to the 600s. I have a friend that wouldn't mind taking the 250 from me when she completes her riders course.

Hito: Good luck! I've convinced a coworker to take the course, which he'll be doing this weekend.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Justs haven't got around to it. It's a bit of a pain to get all the different angles on the camera mounts. Takes a bit of planning and editing. There are some great mountains around here so I should get on it and make another one.

I do have this one which was the first time off road on any motorbike and the first time using the cam setup.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GX.. hahaha, too true... though I seriously doubt I'd get a brand new bike (again, unless I come across a killer deal), but mainly my friends were suggesting starting a step or two up from 'basic bike' cause they feel I'd get the hang of it quickly and rather shortly be wanting something a bit more powerful than the 250.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    normally i don't like riceburner bikes but that looks pretty sweet. i was going to get a motorcycle, talked to the owner and was going to get my license and crap, but then my girlfriend and mother both did not like the idea at all so instead i got a bunny
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some pictures of my bike...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/n30g3n3s1s/P6050347_small.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/n30g3n3s1s/P6050348_small.jpg

I hate the fact that on the 2003 they put the decals under the clear coat of the tank... i just want to take them off but i'm not willing to take the clear coat off just to get a decal off the bike. frown.gif

I see on yours they put them only on the other panels so if you wanted to remove them its not a huge deal.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    How fast are you able to go on the 250 that you don't feel that it has enough power? Or is the "more power" thing just for the thrill of accelerating faster?

I ask because I am thinking of getting a bike for commuting to work and I'd hate to get a 250 only to find it lacking in power after a couple weeks/months of use.

All I really need is a bike that can get me to work "safely" going around 70 mph. I know safety is largely based on driving ability, but by "safely" I mean the bike doesn't feel like its going to fall apart under me when driving at those speeds.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bike has 6 gears. I've been up to 55 mph in 5th gear at around 7000 RPMs (the bike redlines at 13,000). I read it's best to ride the bike around 7k, and shift around 9k, keeps the battery charged. The bike has a factory rated top speed of 100mph, which can be tweaked to go higher, so 70 is easy. The guy who sold it to me says he would keep at 80 easy. It doesn't have a lot of acceleration, it doesn't kick me off, but I still leave cars behind at the light. So far it feels very smooth. In fact, it makes everything around me feel like it's in slow motion, which is surprising.

Sean: awesome. nice color blue.
    Mishra: Haha...motorcycles don't poop everywhere! laugh.gif
    Jay: Awesome! I like these.

Since last year I've been a fan of http://livevideo.com/mordeth13. He has a camera inside the helmet, and rides around talking about random topics. He started a Vlogging trend with many bikers. The guy had over 300 videos on Youtube, and was one of the most subscribed channels, when Youtube decided to ban him for no reason...twice.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over memorial day weekend I rode mine down to auburn university (about 2 hours from my place) and it was a pleasant ride!

Apparently on interstate 85 everyone thinks the speedlimit is... 85. So typically everyone is going around 85 or 90. I was riding about the same speed. Around 85 the bike gets to about 9500 RPMs. It did just fine but the bike is notorious for burning a slight amount of oil at above 8000 RPMs. So i've heard its pretty typical to need to change or add more oil after a long ride on the highway.

From my experiance its mainly a city bike but it holds its own on the highway. Its not scary to ride on the highway in the least, i just think its probobly more suited for city driving because of the gearing.

You start getting power around 7k+ so its a great beginners bike. You can't flip the throttle and kick yourself off. You just have to remember if you need to get out of the way to shift, but that should be common sence! smile.gif

GX: are you still in the break-in period? I wouldn't be surprised if you were, its horrible from what i hear. Mine had just made it out of the break-in period... who knows why a guy would break the bike in and then sell it. ;D

Also, this is almost un-believable... a cop pulled me over getting onto the highway going to work last week and he tells me he pulled me over for "saftey reasons" He saw the drain tube under the bike and thought something was hanging from my bike... I explained to him that it comes stock that way and they are notoriously long... so... you may want to trim yours a bit... it is pretty retartedly long. Mine was at least 4 inches past the bottom of the bike!

oh, and btw, this page will be your best friend! smile.gif

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Apparently on interstate 85 everyone thinks the speedlimit is... 85. So typically everyone is going around 85 or 90.

[/ QUOTE ]
    We have a highway 85 around here, it's my commute to work, pretty much the same thing. laugh.gif

Psuedo.. I have two corvettes and I'm working on a barracuda... yah... power.. laugh.gif
    ... but seriously though, yes, they were saying the extra ooomph you'll get outta the 500 makes the extra money worth it. If it's more of a challenge to learn how to ride than the 250, all the better to get more experience. smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I have been wanting a bike for a while. Now that I might be getting one I'm living in maine and not southern california where I could ride it year round. Oh well it will still be fun i'm sure.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey jesse, look on the bright side, you're probably less likely to get splattered on the roadway by some psychotic SoCal driver in Maine. tongue.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    GX: are you still in the break-in period? I wouldn't be surprised if you were, its horrible from what i hear. Mine had just made it out of the break-in period... who knows why a guy would break the bike in and then sell it. ;D

[/ QUOTE ]

The odometer is around 2500, so broken in and still new. Though I just discovered the fuel tank on mine was recalled. Need to have that checked.

Flaagan and Mishra: Found the perfect bikes for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4BDbjOr44
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a cool replaecment for your tank.
    Carbon fiber tank DIY project
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Bikes are cool. I've had a few but don't ride anymore. Traffic is scary around here. Here's my most recent, a CBR1000 Honda.
    hurricane2.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey jesse, look on the bright side, you're probably less likely to get splattered on the roadway by some psychotic SoCal driver in Maine. tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey you are totally right about that one. I am more likely to be trampled by a moose or something around here.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Baught this 2 days ago Suzuki_GSX-R_750_2006_14_9w.jpg

I love it
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting to seriously look into one. Way I see it, 'bout a month or two from now, all things going well, the 'cuda will be done, and my weekends will be free again. That happening, I'm gonna take the rider safety course and go grab myself something with a ~600cc motor in it. My friend's helping me pick through the ones on craigslist and the like in order to find a good one. It'll work out cause my commute to work is only about 5-7 miles, all freeway save a short bit of street on either end, so I can get practice in there and go cruising on the weekends whenever I feel like it. smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you got a Ninja? how is it?

i used to have a Honda, but it was a cruiser style bike. it was stolen just under 3 months ago... i'm saving up for a Yamaha R6 (should be getting it next month). but everyone says the Ninja are better bikes.

i just have my heart set on the R6 i guess?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, cep.

Move away from all the traffic, Sal. :P

I'm getting comfortable with mine now. Taken it up to 70 mph on the highway. Gas mileage is awesome. Now if only I worked closer to home.

The shop I take the bike for maintenance is selling this for $5500. The bike is barely broken in. I'm hoping to get it before someone else does. It's a comfortable seating position. I hear nothing but good reviews.
    ninja650r.jpg

Gir, what did you do about the stolen bike?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done a bit more talkin with my buddy, leaning towards a late-90's honda cbr600 f3, or something similar. Should be an interesting next few months for me as far as vehicles are concerned.

GX.. grab that 650, dude.

Gir.. was talking to my buddy who rides an R1, said that the r6 would be a good bike to get.