Home General Discussion

The Interview!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
If there was one thing I could say about my biggest fear in life it would have to be the interview process. Phone interview, in person, you name the type of interview, I'm likely to hide myself in a corner when I hear it coming my way. Why? I figure its the fear of not saying the right things or the fear of being judged by my interview performance. I can't place my finger on the cause exactly but its a real shame because there is the possibility that I won't call or make the interview at all out of this fear of what will be asked, whether I have the answers, whether I'll seize up on a curve ball question, etc...

I have some good books around to prepare for an interview though honestly its overload material and I'd probably do better off, and more natural during the interview If I just acted myself and expressed my desire for the position and simply said the things I know without fluffing or making garbage up.

I've been working freelance for the last 4 months, Though its not the spot I envisioned myself to be in. Its good work for now though I'm looking for something more solid and where I can work with others and make friendships to last a long time. I have the passion, skill and experience to get myself where I want to be and the biggest hurdle right now for me is taking the leap into the unknown, facing my fear of the interview, and moving on and up with my life.

I am hoping that this thread will serve as a place for others to share their experience, tips, general do's and don't , methods and ways of preparing for and DOING the interview without all the anxiety tied to it.

Thanks, Look forward to everyones responses

-Art

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    dude, if you have what it takes as you say, then why the nervousism ? just relax, be yourself , i kinda dont know since i never was interviewed eheheh...good luck.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I just had my first interview last week, didn't go so well but here's what happenned.

I talked to a few people in the industry and they told me the same thing -- study the company, get ready to answer questions like why I am applying, know what the company is doing and why they should pick me over other candidates.

During the actual interview however, none of those were asked. The interviewer just told me everything about the company and asked me about my past experience -- if I was familiar working with dead lines, how I organized multiple projects that needed to be done at the same time, if they throw at me 3 pieces of assets to work on, all with very tight dead line, how would I deal with it. He said, he want a person with good eyes for details, can I do that and why.

Everything I did in college and while freelancing had dead lines, so I am very familiar with such thing. I also had a lot of art trainings, traditionally and digitally, which have given me very good eyes for details. But I wasn't expecting the interviewer to ask about these D: So I was trying to remember what I have done on the spot and struggline to make sense out of what I say. It was quite a challenge especially with my not so good english skill.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I've had a few, my advice is just relax, be yourself (unless you are Arshlevon tongue.gif) and take your time. These guys are fellow artists, they've been through the same process and the point of the interview is to see what you are like and get a better idea of your capabilities, not to break you down.

Generally (from my experience at least) it's mainly been a case of talking them through my work and explaining some of the decsisions. Nothing pant-wetting there.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I've also opened myself up to a website critique by making this thread. Too bad I can't update with the work I've done in the last 4 months due to NDA. My Demo reel out of school was heavy on character art though I am now beginning to move towards environment work.

Johny, I fall into the group of people who seem to experience social anxiety. Heart races, hands and face sweats, stomach growls, body stiffens. Its ridiculous whenever I look back on the times this has happened. Almost for no reason. I know in really bad cases people need to vomit before speaking to an audience and such. Never went to that extent for me, but my kryptonite when I get really nervous Is this never ending pause during a sentence or after a question has been asked.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    It is great if you can show your "positive" side in the interview, but some people try to be something they really are not "just to get the job".

I mean, show your talent and be honest what kind of person you are - show what you can do but dont try to impress the interviewer in any other way. If you get in, they'll find out that you "lied" or you'll have a hard time as you try to "be someone else you are not" smile.gif.

I'm not talking about 3d industry as I've "traditional" art background myself and I've never been working on this industry (well I'm quite interested about 3d and actually I've quit from my recent job so I can train this more. Next week I'm going to an art test to the art academy / 3d).

I've got my last 3 jobs as I've been - i think "too honest" - and also a bit "rude". But also being myself.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmmm, well...

I've had about 5 phone interviews with different companies in the past 4 months. And 4 on-site.

Phone interviews are pretty easy, after the first one you'll get the hang of it. Just try and relax, think of the questions they might ask you ahead of time and do research on the company so you can ask your own. As everyone will tell you - be yourself.

On-site interviews, oh what fun. My first interview was no big deal. Just a friendly interview to talk with a local company, heh my wife even sat in on it.

My second on-site was very relaxed, took about 4 hours including lunch. Everyone was friendly and cool, I had a great time. We talked about games, life, my work and their work. Easy stuff.

Second interview - was hell. pretty much 9-5, I answered the same damn questions over and over. Every hour a new set of three people would come into the room and ask me the same stuff, this happened five times. It was really hard to stay enthusiastic about it, giving the same answers over and over, and at the end I knew it wasn't the place for me. When their HR asked me if I was ready for the "gauntlet" I thought he was kidding...

Third on-site was as great as the first, very nice people and very relaxed. They even had a realtor drive me around to look at the town and drop me off at the airport.

So just be yourself, and relax. Easier than it sounds.

I'm planning this week or next to write up a mini article that goes into detail on my experience with the job hunt. It was a wild ride.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, I'm impressed by the number or responses already. I know asking questions shouldn't only be the job of the interviewer. If I were to relocate to another city or state or location I'd want to ask what the living expenses were for that particular area, what benefits I am likely to receive, hours of work required, relocation assistance, etc... And I'm sure asking questions would be a double positive because your learning more about the job and taking some of the pressure off yourself and onto the interviewer, yes?
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had my first job interview (granted, it was at Future Shop :P). I was really, really nervous, but once I got in there, it wasn't so bad. Just act as you normally would. Don't think of it as an interview. Answer honestly, and if you have to think on a question, that's fine. It's better to think about the question and answer well than to blurt out whatever pops into your head, making you sound unprofessional and unnerved.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Also, think of it as you interviewing them, not just them interviewing you. Every company will be different, pick the one that best fits you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am much like yourself and really don't like the interview process. One thing that helped me get over the "oh crap I'm going to say the wrong thing" is to think of it as you are interviewing them more then they are interviewing you.

If you are confident you can do the work and ask questions it will take the pressure off of you. It also gets them talking instead of you which should help loosen you up. It's my personal experience people love to talk and don't actually like listening to other people even if they just asked them a question. Most of the time they are just waiting to but in and start talking again. If you can get them talking you'll find out a TON of stuff about the company, they will bond to you a little better.

Things I do to make the interview as pain free as possible:
    - Scout the company and learn about them. Most places will have a family photo on their website, take note of how everyone is dressed and shoot for a tiny bit dressier.

- I normally wear black laceless loafers, khakis pants and an un-tucked non obnoxious Hawaiian shirt.

- Read the bio's of people you will be interviewing with. Look them up and see where they have worked previously. Worm those tid-bits into the conversation but not in a "I've been stalking you from the bushes kind of way". Don't be fake about it tho if that isn't natural for you.

Things I like to ask in interviews:
    - I know in most cases crunch time can't be avoided but what steps do you take to minimize it or at least make it bearable?

- How long have you been here? Where do you see this company in 5 years. (Only ask this one if they haven't sprung it on you already)

- How involved are artists/production staff in the design phase? I've heard (or lived thru) horror stories about tiny crazy design features having a huge impact on the dev cycle only to find out it could have been done much easier another way if dev was included in the decision in the beginning.

Be clear you aren't looking to have design control over the entire game but you don't want to make 500k polys trees for a year knowing the entire time it will run like crap in game and you will have to stay late for 3mo after alpha to tree trim polys. You just want to know your voice will be heard and things can change rather than being told to suck it up and just get it done.

- When its over, it is a good time to get a pro's prospective on your portfolio, so ask for an example of what you did wrong and what you did right. Ask if there is anything you should focus on as you hone your skills.

If you're nervous be honest with them, but don't play the "you scare me to death" card too soon they might start handling you with kid gloves and it just gets awkward.

If you have time and are ballsy set up some practice interviews at places you know they will grant you an interview but you have no intention of taking the job.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Just hope you never have an interview at Mythic. They spring a trap on you!.. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Its all quiet one on one with an interviewer, then the someone might say "you'll be meeting all the artists later"

When time comes, the entire art team comes into a room and you give a presentation on yourself.

Its Flesh to the grill baby!

I was surrounded by 20 people... YOu mythic guys are the greatest. BEST interview ever!.

Do you guys still do that even? :P

I'll never forget it, but when I tell that story of my interview to some people they cringe and think "I would never have made it" To which I reply, The reason I think I did well in it was, they sprung it on me. I had no time to get nervous, I just reacted.

rephrased:
    I think what i meant to say was.. If somehow during an interview we think of everything coming at us as spontanious and we just react to it, it could feel less stressful. If we anticipate everything, we can work our selves up with stress.

FYI.. I took the job at Volition, Mythic was a great place and I almost ended up there. I regret passing the opportunity to work with Mythic's wonderful group of people.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I know u in person cyborg, your a sociable guy, just gota have a bit more self confidence. I think u could nail an interview, just gota go in thinkging "this is going to be fun" and it will flow smoothly.

dude if i went to an interview and a whole group of people came in, id be SO excited!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you do actually realise that at the end of the day its all about your work really. as long as you are not a total retard, they can't really make you feel that small.
    the more experience you get,the less you will worry about feeling nervous. in fact you may start to enjoy interviews as you will probably have more than one in the same week, so yu may start weighing up them rather than worrying what they think of you
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an interview at Blitz a few weeks ago and was suprised that I enjoyed it. Was just talking over my work, the company etc. and joking around a bit with the guys. Had a good time smile.gif
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I had the phone interview today at 2. I don't feel I got the second interview and am not sure now whether I'd take the job even if I did get an offer. I was caught a little off guard by the fact that the person who called to do the interview wasn't the same person that I was told just a few hours prior. Didn't matter too much really. Needless to say, it was a good learning experience.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I found that the golden rule to doing well in an interview is to ask a bunch of industry related but personal questions. I ask people how they got into the biz, or what they're playing currently, or what they enjoy working on--things they might ask me.

It's almost like being on a date--the more they talk about themselves, and how proud their are of what they're doing and working on, the more they want to sell you on it. That tends to leave them feeling that you're interested, sociable, and that they want to keep convincing you to keep things going--which is good when they huddle up for that post interview decision making time.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    just hope they don't ask "If money was no object, what would you do?" question.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    BS Joe: soo.... are you suggesting people get flirty during the interview process? "i love kicking back and playing halo 2 with some friends at home, and long walks on the beach. how about you guys?"

all jokes aside it's good advice though. smile.gif i think especially in this industry, showing that you're comfortable around other people (without instant messenging programs as a go-between) will go a long way, as will enthusiasm.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It is something you need to practice if you're not good at thinking on your feet, so to speak. If you haven't gone through the interview process in the past (as I hadn't when I was first trying to get into thte industry) then Vig's suggestion of trying to get at least one interview at a studio that you don't particularly want to wind up at before going for your dream job is a good idea. You'll probably screw up your first, simply because you don't know how things work (or at least thats what happened with me). Once you know the mechanics you'll be fine to kick back and relax in your next interview and get that job you really want.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    ARTUR my man. Just relax on the phone. I know you don't really like the social type situations with random fuck faces but just relax. I mean they are just other people just like you and I on the other side of the phone. Hell maybe some of them are even scared of calling you. Who knows.

What I have always done is just be myself. Be polite, answer the questions as best as you can and just think of some answers to the normal interview questions and write them on paper before you even have the interview (phone).

Also have a list of questions for them. They want you to ask questions. If you don't have any then they will think thats odd. I have asked what the average workday is like? The environment. How often do they go on crunch time? Will I be chained to my desk. What do people from the studio do together outside of the work environment for fun. (I know High Moon plays Ultimate Frisbee and they go paintballing with Concrete Games and Rockstar in San Diego). You know the normal things.

Just be yourself man. I know you in person and you are a good guy to have on an art team.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good advice all. Im afraid I cant offer any of my own though. Im in the same damn boat, interviews scare the shit out of me. I used to have social anxiety same as you mentioned, but a lot of my classes have required presentations so after a bit it wore off for me slightly.

My only experience with the interview process was a mock interview i did for a class. I think i lucked out though cuz all the questions i got were relating to my work flow and pieces that ive done smile.gif Super easy and things went very smoothly. lol if i remember correctly i crammed on Brain Age a week before just to be on my toes laugh.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    There's a load of stuff talked about for interviews - what to wear, how to behave, what to ask, what questions to expect etc. However, THE most important piece of advice often gets missed, and it's this :

Have stuff to say about your work.

So many interviews, when it comes to looking over portfolios, descend into the candidate repeating with every click of a file or turn of the page "here are some more graphics I did for such and such a project", and with nothing else to say. After a couple of times, cue stilted silences while the interviewer tries to think of relevant questions to ask about the work, while at the same time wondering why the fuck he should have to. Usually a basic question gets asked, but the answer is often poor.

If you've got nothing to offer up about the techniques you used, problems you ran into and how you solved them, how you found a certain piece of software or engine, what you'd have liked to do differently and so on, you may as well not be in the room. It's an interview for an artist, it's not an appreciation hour for your images - that's already been done remember, that's why you're in the interview in the first place

As an opposite example : the best interview I've ever been party to was (and I'm sure he won't mind me telling you this) for the lead artist down at rockstar london. When it came to the showreel, quite apart from the quality of the work, what was most impressive was the information he could offer up. He knew the showreel frame by frame, and could talk and answer questions on all of it. He'd pause it when he wanted to elaborate more before letting it run, and rewind on request to any point to answer questions about stuff we'd seen before ... and then smooth as silk carrying on from where he was. It was all so comfortable, and so satisfying for everyone involved.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    someone should hire you for who and what you are, and not for pretending to be anyone or anything other than that. if you get socially anxious, then that's part of who you are; it doesn't mean u'r an asshole, or incapable of meeting deadlines or producing good artwork. might as well just accept that rather than try and hide it, cuz that's only gonna make u more nervous. accept your flaws, and know they all reside in your mind and can be worked out, ultimately. so don't worry about their judgment, deal with your own. then just come in, say this is who i am, this is my work, and let the chips fall where they may. good luck smile.gif
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I had a bunch of interviews recently after GDC and got a job off of one of them.

The only prep I did for them was to come up with a short list of questions to ask (workflow and work environment pretty much) and make sure I had read up on the company so when they mentioned a game I hadn't played I at least knew what they were talking about.

Anything more than that and I think I would have suffered from test anxiety.

Ultimately I think the most important thing to do is realize that no one is going to judge you during the interview on some sort of test - it's not like an oral exam. They want to get to ask some questions to get to know you and get an idea of what you know. If you are already making game art or whatever you already know game art and so you can talk about it. Don't lie about things you don't know about so you don't have to worry about covering your lies, and everything else pretty much should just flow.

The person you're interviewing with is someone you're going to be talking to probably every day. With that in mind, talk with them as if you would any other day (don't swear or bitch, save that for after you're hired smile.gif).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    My own advice, treat it like a conversation, back up answers with legit examples, put a smile on your face, don't lie (I had a friend who lied that he knew how to use 3DS Max), ask them questions, leave room for follow up etc.

Always show your personality and what yo ucan really bring to the company's needs...that's all I dealt with since my my 5 industry interviews...though I havent got my first gig yet. I had one ready for me but had to be away before signing up.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first interview I had (codemasters), I was a little nervous, and instead of just relaxing, durince short silences I would try to talk. Which usually ended up with me pointing out flaws in my work. Though didn't have a very negative effect as I got a second interview.

In the last couple of interviews I've had I asked about technical specifications of characters I'd be working on, which seemed to go well as they spoke of polycounts, texture sizes etc. and got them talking a bit about the game and platforms (ie. 360 and ps3 great at pushing polys, not as great with textures).
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, lots of good advice that I'll take with me on the next interview. ..

Out of disgust I kinda tore down like half my bedroom and tossed it in the garbage. Old artwork and school projects, posters and shit. I even had a slight consideration of doing the same when I saw my Bachelor's degree on the wall. BUt I worked to damn hard to do something stupid like that.

Overall I must say I disagree a lot of realities of life. They tend to drive me to bitter ends. I may not be the greatest artist, but I'm far far from being horrible..Having said that it seems a little sad that everything is based on presentation and first impressions. I'll never be able to express myself and speak vocally as well as I can express myself in written form. Thats just the type of person I happen to be. ( as Shotgun pointed out)

I know I really can and do kick ass and those who know me know I kick ass (I think) although potential employers don't know anything about me so they don't know I can kick ass. smile.gif They are left to judge me by my portfolio and interviewing skills. Thats why I guess for someone like me I'll need to rely heavily on my work to sell myself. Which is also a little sorry because I CAN be a completely sociable guy and AM, but when under pressure or nervous that all changes and people notice.

Anyways I'm going to rethink my angles on all of this and consider all the advice you guys shared and start somewhere fresh, even if it requires me to leave my current job so I can work things out and revamp my portfolio. And hopefully In the process I can keep myself motivated enough to not stop all together and lose all of my passion for art.

I know that last bit was a little gloomy but its honestly how I feel.
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Art, dont stop the job youre in now, seeing as its freelance say no to some projects and take a lighter load then put that extra time into your personal portfolio. I DO know you and I DO know your work kicks ass, its a shame you cant show what freelance things youv'e done on your website. I think it would greatly benifit you if you could get a job far from San D. and make a bunch of new friends at a new job. I've known the interview process scares the beejesus out of you but Im glad to hear that youre ready to jump back into the interviews again and attempt a job at a company, whoever hires you would be greatly pleased with the amount of importance and creativity you put into your projects. dont give up and dont place the weight of the world on your shoulders for each interview, as others have said, dont stress it, cause if they dont hire you someone else will, be yourself and dont throw a bunch of B.S. and dont voice the negatives you think about yourself in an interview. Make a mass assault my friend, send your stuff out to a lot of places and wait it out. Later buddy.