Home General Discussion

Blizzard induces pants sexytime explosion

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html

Sorry, i'm a little excited here, may want to wear a raincoat.

[ QUOTE ]
3:00 - FMV sequence in a spaceship - looks Terran - zooming in on a metal door - door opening - reveals a guy with a cigar in chains - prisoner - door shuts behind him - there's so much bass the room is shaking - guy steps into some kind of metallic devicce - legs are strapped in - guy rising toward ceiling - Korean text on screen got people very excited - another part of the machine is dropping metal arms on him - machine whirring - applying armor to his torso - extremly detailed visuals here - now guy is strapping on gloves - armor is molding together - seems like a Terran marine - rockets turn on - zerg now onscreen - Marine delivers a line - StarCraft 2 officially announced.

3:05 - Morheim says everyone eager to see actual game - going to show actual gameplay - bringing up SC2 lead designer. Dustin Browder.

3:07 - Showing gameplay footage - Looks like protoss ships - floating over asteroid/ base structure - entering protoss ase - similar looking buildings - vespene gas still in the game - character pane shows up on right side - some protoss guy - shifts to terran bases floating on rockets over same type of territory - sill collecting crystals as resources - marines load out. Dustin is actually playing the game - nothing in the game is final.

3:09 - controlling protoss zealots - still has psi blades and personal shield - new charge ability that let him quickly close range on enemies. Siege tanks shown - still the same type of behavior where they can lock down - take out zealots really quickly - new protoss unit - called immortals - have special shield that only activates upon being powerfully attacked - siege tanks could barely do any damage to them.

3:10 - Terran reapers - can hop across unever terrain with jump packs - two types of small pistols that don't activate immortals. Protoss now have the ability to create shields whereever they want. Protoss can now warp in units from manufacturing facilities anything within pylon range. New protoss unit - stalker - can teleport - quadripedal thing - can keep blinking forward - seems to be a shot cooldown on the ability. Zerg start coming in, giant worms pop out of ground unleasing zerglings. Protoss can use phase fields and teleporting abilities to create an army anywhere on the battlefield, according to Blizzard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Where are the pictures? We need visual, man!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    WHAT! I thought this was at 1am PST!
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    SICK!! Now I need gameplay vids and the trailer in HD.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Sheesh even on just a grainy video and it looks amazing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Some proper screenshots. Also being hammered by every geek in the world so I have yet to actually successfully load any.
    http://au.media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html
  • fmnoor
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I peed a little.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I saved 2 shots because that IGN site is getting SLAMMED.

starcraft-2-1.jpg

starcraft-2-2.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    by the ammount of detail there... i hope Creep is animated. smile.gif

exciting stuff!
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    ...Zergling... rush?... must...hold.. back... tears....oh the happiness

I just came a little

And ingame video
    http://tvpot.daum.net/theme/ThemeView.do?themeid=122&lu=t_c_theme_1
    uhm watch it till the end.. awesome stuff in the end ;D
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Alright. Can't wait to get owned by everyone and their dog online! But seriously, very cool.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    omg zerg rush is back kekekekeke ^^
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    humminnnnahummminnnahumminnaaa!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow, an actual zerg rush. Thats how it should be.

Lookin pretty cool, but Im sure the gameplay is gonna be where it really shines. I thought the gfx were a little underwhelming for the resources that Blizzard has right now, but they certainly are polished incredibly nicely.

Anyways, check out this thread on penny-arcade. Better info. More screens.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=22901
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    hmm i dunno dudes... those screens just don't floor me at all, the cinematic is FUCKING SWEET, but the screens... it just looks like the original sc in 3d with some bump maps and extra effects, it doesn't even come close to how good company of heroes looks, i mean sure u know, rts limits and yeah we're blizzard we make shit cartoony, but come on, the cinematics set the bar and with next gen you can totally go there and reach it, i think the cinematic team should just take over and make the damn game themselves cuz OMFG that vid looked sweet, can't wait for the official one to be released.

it all looks really cool, but just it looks so gamy, i wish it was more realistic and looked like shit actually belongs there as opposed to just a bunch of sci fi crate textures slapped on the ground all over the place, like man would it be awesome to play gears of war the rts or what? i know they can do it... guess i'll have to wait till diablo 3, maybe that'll fit the bill.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.starcraft2.com/

Yup official site is up. Go go go.

Gotta say, after the initial omfgwtfsooocool phase of seeing all this, I've started to realize, even the gameplay looks exactly the same as SC1. Just a few more units, and 3d good-ness. They didn't really innovate all that much it seems, which is their perogative, but a little disspointing. I suppose the Koreans would have gone insane if it was too much different from the original. I feel like maybe Im expecting too much from Blizzard or setting them on too high of a pedestal, because with most other companies, this would be a great job at a sequel to a former game they made, but with all the money Blizzard has made off of wow, I expect to see some billion dollar ideas and billion dollar tech. It makes me kinda wonder how epic would have made this game. Or Will Wright.

Edit again: just saw an interesting quote from another forum "Well the theory behind being NOT nex-gen at all is so it can be available for South Korea users, who control the Starcraft market, and GeForce4 is an average graphic card in there."

Thats a pretty interesting way of looking at it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    echoing aesir and rawkstar in my own simple little way... it's a bunch of pretty characters, and bunch of pretty ground tiles, and they don't seem to be on the same plane of existence.

A screenshot of this lined up next to a screenshot of the latest C&C, and I'd choose C&C.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Edit again: just saw an interesting quote from another forum "Well the theory behind being NOT nex-gen at all is so it can be available for South Korea users, who control the Starcraft market, and GeForce4 is an average graphic card in there."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how the company has always looked at it. From a marketing and sales point of view... how would you maximise the sales of your product in a market where the "base" PC isn't even defined?
    You make a product that runs on the absolute bare minimun that you're willing to let it to. In this case, a machine with a Geforce 4 video card.
    You can argue that, with the popularity of this game, many players will upgrade just to play it. Sure that could be the case. But why take that chance? You immediately cut your market by a large portion by taking that risk. Because they either upgrade or they don't. And you never know just how many people will have the lastest set up to play your 'next-gen' game.
    Why do you think WoW has sold over millions of copies? Because the game is available to be played over a WIDE spectrum of PC set ups. Fuck, even I can play WoW and I'm at the bottom end of the PC market with a machine that's easily 7 years old.
    The focus of Blizzard games has never been the graphics. It's always been about the gameplay. Cartoony, stylized graphics is just one of the ways to hide and overcome the lack of technical brute.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Damn, it looks sooo cool! smile.gif
    I cant really understand what you guys complaining about? There are hundreds of zerglings and space marines on the screen above and also a lot of environment stuff! How should this work with high detailed models??
    I personally really like the cartoony style, im really tired of all the wannabe reallistic games! If they would go with a desaturated more realistic style like gears of war you would lose the overview very fast.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like fun, I enjoyed the first one. I don't need realism, to have fun, I'm fine with it looking cartoony, I love moonbase commander and the graphics on that are horrible. As long as StarCraft2 is fun and not just a 3D update I'm sure I'll like it.

I think SouL is right on the money about Blizzard appealing to the largest market possible, its what every company should be doing if they ever stop the run away tech train for half a second and think about it. I'm not saying forsake tech and go back to building games like we did 6 years ago but build in scalability, most engines have it so why not use it? Money and time I guess...

@ rawkstar: I hear ya and second that plan if it wasn't Blizzard and wouldn't destroy one of the best / coveted teams in the industry.

I do have one complaint about the art very minor and people who are not me wouldn't care. The example units on the site specifically the mechanical units aren't mechanical as far as animation is concerned., they have vert weighting and it shows on most of all on the Protoss Immortal.
    - "Maybe if we speed up the animation no one will notice we used blended weights...?"
    - "Wouldn't be easier just to 'not blend' the verts?"
    - "Don't be silly, those stupid players won't care as long as we recycle the game play they know and love"
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn, i love screenshots!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Thats a pretty interesting way of looking at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you look at what games sell shitloads they tend to be playable on low end hardware like the sims and rollercoaster tycoon for example and ofcourse blizzard games.
    Also i think in south korea most gaming takes place in those internet cafe kind of things and to force them all to upgrade so they could run sc2??
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's definitely a very blue game.

But can anybody explain why the hell the game is rendered from an orthographic camera from a fixed angle of view? Now this might change, but it looks stupid and would play dumb if you can only navigate an entirely 3D world from 1 angle.

And it's very blue.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    you could rotate and zoom in warcraft 3 so i wouldnt bee too worried skullbox wink.gif

this looks awesome.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i want to play it. The art seems a tad crappy, i mean not crappy but a bit cartoony i dont know , but if it plays the same as the original i can die happy smile.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Is this a trend or something? It's as if the RTS industry is only bringing out semi-remakes of old games with not-too-great graphics; C&C3 wasn't much new, SupCom wasn't much new and this looks one hell of a lot like a certain 1997 game here on my shelf. It's as if nostalgia is the main selling factor these days =\
    And let's be honest, their graphics are all rather lousy when compared to Company of Heroes.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like fun to me despite the graphical flaws. I havent played anything from blizzard in years, and never played starcraft, but this looks interesting smile.gif. I did love warcraft and diablo back in the day, kinda takes me back in a way.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I am pretty confident that Blizzard will innovate with fantastic character abilities and technologies and a superbly balanced gameplay ..

I played many hours of starcraft and i am yet to play a strategy game that is packed with so much depth and balance. The cartoony style is a Blizzard trademark and i wouldnt trade it for any "gears of war" style visuals.

I think you all should visit the website again and take a look at the gameplay trailer because it looks quite nice in motion, even at such low rez.

What defined starcraft was clever character design, no one unit was like another, and no one race was like another, yet on BNet it was a hugely enjoyable and competitive strategy game with a LOT of depth despite looking quite childishin and unserious.

I understand the remarks though, people expected everyone to follow in the same suit of "next gen" graphics, but i find it looks great and up to standard for strategy games in little gameplay vids they showed.

I wouldnt speculate that it's the same game refreshed.

Furthermore, i think i've just heard the entire population of South Korea squeel in joy smile.gif
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    its funny how neox knew it all along =D
    his blizzard art contest entry looks pretty damn close to the real thing smile.gif

the cinematic just blows me away. all the subtle animations.. damn!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    its about time! SC2 is long overdue, and that cinematic was freaking sweet!

There was a brief glimpse of Kerrigan from broodwars wink.gif
    kerrigan0000tg8.jpg

I wonder if this is a heavily modified Warcraft3 engine?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Got a bit excited seeing all the screens and especially the cinematic. Sure the style isn't to everyone's tastes, but I still think it looks rather pleasing and I think I will enjoy the game as much as I did the original.

-caseyjones
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Wish they would have given some kind of an idea as to when it'll go gold... even if it isn't reliable. heh.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    yahoooooooooooo!!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Animation in that cinematic just took the fucking cake, I've not been that impressed in ages.
    The screenshots definately don't do it any justice, it looks badass in motion.
    Gameplay vid tomorrow wink.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Blizzard fucking rules, man.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Now, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    After watching some videos, reading some more, and what not... its still going to havbe to prove a lot to make me let go of Dawn of War smile.gif

3 unique races just doesnt cut it for me anymore. I hope too they refine their building of units, and or selection methods.

I'm still excited, but i'm not tottally floored.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Aww... no diablo. frown.gif
    hump_day.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I can't wait, the pressure is on Blizzard. We all know they will deliver an awesome title!
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Any info on what date its out ?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah... i dunno i guess i wanted to see something a little different from those guys. but i dunno if starcraft's history is any indication they could just change it all completely and come out with a totally different game 2 years later.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    One of the reasons I can get excited is because I know I won't have to really upgrade my computer to play it tongue.gif

When Supreme Commander came out I was uber excited, and then it ran like shit even on low-medium settings.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    game play footage
    [url="mms://211.33.120.153/Data1/2005/8/000594448-a317000000000000.wmv"]mms://211.33.120.153/Data1/2005/8/000594448-a317000000000000.wmv[/url]
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Well with an announcement like Starcraft2 the internet in Korea must have stopped completely.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    some 'better' quality youtube gameplay videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KnmnFxHoE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1RxXko-AnM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=050akGtHDM4

I think this will be a good time, blizzard has a proven track record of quality games so even if SC2 is more of the same with a little bit of flavor that's enough for me. I can't see them changing it too much anyway with it's huge following in korea.

Can't wait, just wish they'd have given some info on how far into the project they are.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    That cinematic...just wow..holy jesus. That was awesome.

As for the game...from the stills, I was a little let down. However, after watching the videos...it just looks beautiful. Everything seemed to flow so well, and the effects were just off the chart. Starcraft was never about the graphics, it was about the gameplay....and thats why it is still a huge force today.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    i think the screens look great even if they are pretty cartoony, and I'm sure the game will be pretty fun to play too. it's nice to see that blizzard continues to not follow the bleeding edge of graphics and instead hopes to appeal to every consumer possible. too many devs following the hardware hype machine trying to push graphics all the time. the only other company i can see on this sort of development track is valve.

too nice! laugh.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I never got into SC, but this does look pretty amazing. You know you have a hell of a product when the sequel is coming out 9 or 10 years after the original and fans are this excited.

On the topic of using last-gen tech, hasn't that always been BLizzard's way? WoW wasn't terribly cutting edge even when it was in beta, and Diablo II was of course still just a 2D game despite shipping in summer of 2000. That approach clearly hasn't hurt sales and I don't think it's affected quality much, either (though I'd love me some 3D Diablo..)