Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A real-life 2d animation (not flash)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
Sup first post.

Check it out. An animation i worked on over the weekend. Just a short little pencil test of link doin a roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKo26duRmQ

No 3d stuff yet, I'm working on a few things right now actually. I'll post the concept sketches soon so you's guys can tear me a new one.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey wester.

Im going to be an arse and not give any crits since this isn't my thing and anything I have to say would proberly be wrong.

But what I will say is that this kicks a whole load of arse.
    I respect anyone taht can pull off decent oldschool animations with just a pen and paper. Seems to be an art thats slowly being overshadowed by flash and other 2d animation tools...real shame. frown.gif

Very nice work though.

John
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Woop, PC ought to have more animations overall. Nice stuff going on there and welcome to Polycount. smile.gif
  • technodookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    technodookie polycounter lvl 17
    The little bob he does after getting up is great. That little bit of reaction gives it a lot of life.
  • The Umbrella Man
    Theres really not a whole lot to say bad about that, you did a really excellent job. Did you use a reference for the movements or was it all out of your head?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    looks like he's doing a small hop after the tuck and roll. but his foot still sticks to the ground, making it unconvincing as either a small hop due to momentum or a compression to absorb the momentum. As it is now it looks like two unconnected motions shot in the same footage.

if its small hop the movements need to be quicker; and the foot needs to leave the ground for a frame.

if its compression then there needs 2 or 3 more frames toward the end to slow things down gradually. Assuming you're animating on 2s

its better to post quicktime if possible; you can't scrub frame by fram with youtube.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hey wester.

Im going to be an arse and not give any crits since this isn't my thing and anything I have to say would proberly be wrong.

But what I will say is that this kicks a whole load of arse.
    I respect anyone taht can pull off decent oldschool animations with just a pen and paper. Seems to be an art thats slowly being overshadowed by flash and other 2d animation tools...real shame. frown.gif

Very nice work though.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, agreed. But I believe that the fundamentals are essential in the commercial arts. You can't barge into 3d animation without getting what made animation, animation and kind of carry those essentials over into 3d.

well thanks
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit. I'll do some adjustments accordingly.

and yeh, i put too many inbetweens there where he's supposed to "stumble" from gettting up.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to go back to the roots of animation go back and draw on film. smile.gif

And surely you can barge into 3D animation without 2D knowledge, there are plenty of easy to use setups you can download for free for all major animation packages. The main thing is just to do it, which is easy for 2D animation.

Your animation looks pretty good, but I noticed the same thing hito did. The hop at the end doesn't feel right, since he corrects his balance by stepping forward only a tiny bit. When you're moving out of balance like that you need to correct for both the center of mass as well as its momentum. I think that's the main thing to fix, rather than timing.

Right now it looks like he stumbles against a glass plate that ends just under his arms. Apart from that, very nice work. Nice motion and very consistent in shape (which I find the hardest of 2D animation).

Indeed, quicktime would be nicer than youtube. smile.gif
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you want to go back to the roots of animation go back and draw on film. smile.gif

And surely you can barge into 3D animation without 2D knowledge, there are plenty of easy to use setups you can download for free for all major animation packages. The main thing is just to do it, which is easy for 2D animation.

Your animation looks pretty good, but I noticed the same thing hito did. The hop at the end doesn't feel right, since he corrects his balance by stepping forward only a tiny bit. When you're moving out of balance like that you need to correct for both the center of mass as well as its momentum. I think that's the main thing to fix, rather than timing.

Right now it looks like he stumbles against a glass plate that ends just under his arms. Apart from that, very nice work. Nice motion and very consistent in shape (which I find the hardest of 2D animation).

Indeed, quicktime would be nicer than youtube. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
    but i dont know hwo to set it up on quicktime laugh.gif

you really dont think it helps to knwo the basics before moving up? i find that hard to beleive. I'd think that once you grasp the fundementals of an idea, any other concepts are simple. Like squash and stretch, to give the animation a more "animated" feel, other than robotic like most 3d is.

thanks for the crit laugh.gif
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squash and stretch is a prinicple of animation which has nothing to do exclusively with 2D. 2D and 3D (both traditional aswell as digital) are media and while the workflow differs for each, it's all animation and the principles apply to all of them (to whatever degree you find it necessary to consciously apply 'principles' to your work).

2D helps your 3D animation a lot, and the opposite is just as true.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    Wester, I came from a traditional animation background which hammered into our minds the exact idea that fundamentals drive everything else. My own take is this - drawing in general is extremely important. Being able to control a writing instrument on a 2D surface is important both in concepting future 3D works as well as being able to texture paint. I used to teach as well and while it is not always true (I don't need a lot of people hammering me on this one), people that tended to draw poorly (such as not understanding anatomy) made the same mistakes in 3D.

While traditional animation will help you think about timing and weight and follow through (amongst the famous principles of animation), I don't believe someone will be stronger or weaker from studying it before or after getting into 3D. If the principles are the same (which they are), then its all a matter of how you are applying it. My recommendation is if you enjoy doing 2D animation because of its artfrom then by all means go for it. If you're doing it because you think it will make you stronger in 3D then I say maybe it will, but you're holding off getting into the 3D for probably the wrong reason.

Nice Emile Cohl work, SkullboX. That dude supposedly died of burns when his beard caught on fire.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    BTW, the roll in your animation is nice, but he's leaning forward too much in the end. I have quite an appreciation for seeing the work that goes behind traditional animation here though.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wester, I came from a traditional animation background which hammered into our minds the exact idea that fundamentals drive everything else. My own take is this - drawing in general is extremely important. Being able to control a writing instrument on a 2D surface is important both in concepting future 3D works as well as being able to texture paint. I used to teach as well and while it is not always true (I don't need a lot of people hammering me on this one), people that tended to draw poorly (such as not understanding anatomy) made the same mistakes in 3D.

While traditional animation will help you think about timing and weight and follow through (amongst the famous principles of animation), I don't believe someone will be stronger or weaker from studying it before or after getting into 3D. If the principles are the same (which they are), then its all a matter of how you are applying it. My recommendation is if you enjoy doing 2D animation because of its artfrom then by all means go for it. If you're doing it because you think it will make you stronger in 3D then I say maybe it will, but you're holding off getting into the 3D for probably the wrong reason.

Nice Emile Cohl work, SkullboX. That dude supposedly died of burns when his beard caught on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way
    i really want to get into 3d animation. but i havent had the class yet/computer is shit haha.

im only doing so many 2d animations because it's the only resource open to me at the moment. so im trying to close to perfect it.

thanks alot for the help.
    im still a young'n and in teh learning process smile.gif
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My animation teacher once said "at the end of the day, when you view a 3D animation, you are viewing it as 2D". The principles are the same for all mediums of animation including stopmotion smile.gif

Haven't had a chance to look at your anim as I'm at work and can't view youtube here, I'll take a look at lunch though and drop you some comments then smile.gif

good to see another animator here smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The looks really nice dude, though the stumble at the end after the roll seems a little odd for me. It may be possible that its just a little slow?

Actually... just watched another 5 times. I think what makes it seem so odd is that when Link gets back up, his hands are behind him which shows that he wasn't rolling fast enough to continue with the stumble forward.
    Ideally, you'd want atleast one hand infront stopping him from continuing the momentum and also lifting him up.
    I'm not animator, but that's just my opinion. Hope it helped and welcome to Polycount.

-caseyjones
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    no way
    i really want to get into 3d animation. but i havent had the class yet/computer is shit haha.

im only doing so many 2d animations because it's the only resource open to me at the moment. so im trying to close to perfect it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were only saying it's not necessary to start with 2D, but 2D practise is great and if you've got your animatons skills down in 2D, 3D will be a lot easier from the start. If 2D is the only thing available right now, then more power to you for working with it.

In the end it's all about what you're trying to get across which can be done using either medium. 2D experience gives you a great headstart either way, so keep it up. laugh.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    its lookin dope wes! keep on animatin man! i love this 2d stuff!