Home General Discussion

Nvidia Human Head demo

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Looks pretty damn nice, would have preferred to see more exaggerated examples (as well) for the sub surface scattering. I kept looking at his ears for the most obvious sign, but couldn't spot it there.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-nvidias-amazing-human-head-demo

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Its all in the nose. Nice, but i think a bit too subtle.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahahaha.

Funny that nVidia is using a technique that AFAIK ATI first used, that is, using RTT and then blurring them to simulate SSS, there is an ATI paper on it/skin rendering.

As for translucency, such as behind the ears, what they are doing doesn't cover that.

This is just a really high-resolution texture (4096 I would guess) and a really high-poly model. I normally love these sorts of demos, but there is nothing new here that a semi-competent shader programmer can't do already, using techniques and samples from shaders that have been out for a while now.

Alright, I just read through the 120-page nVidia paper on this, it is basically the same thing but improved (they mention this in the video). There are some cool things here but nothing new, or groundbreaking, or outside of the box... they're just doing what has already been done but was too expensive to do (6 specular calculations for one highlight, for example). The tradeoff in resources isn't worth the gain for years to come, though... if it were between parallax occlusion or this, what would you choose?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    now...let's see some real time hair!

It's still impressive even if it isn't anything new.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    if it were between parallax occlusion or this, what would you choose?

[/ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif It doesn't matter cause either one would get ditched during optimization.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Lets see the face do some expressions, god dammit!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'd like to see them do it with a less red face. They textured him to look a bit sunburnt, which hides any problems they might have with the translucent look. It falls apart on their adrienne demo. I like the blurred light map, but it needs some color changes based on light being recieved dangit!

poop.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    another muscleplaying in action.
    We must prepare money for a new computer that he impersonated a decent amount of frames per second in this demo.