Home Technical Talk

Question: Max 9 and the physique modifier ?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
Im reading the tutorial for physique, and i can't find the "initialize" button.

here's what i do:
1) I select the mesh (object)
2) I go in the modifier rollout
3) I apply the physique modifier over my mesh

Now where is the initialize button ? i looked under every tab there is in 3dsMax.

Im dying to know, thanks smile.gif

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    select the mesh
    click the little man icon (attach node)
    click your root bone
    the initialize window pops up.

05-1202278342T.jpg
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn i see now ... hahaha

Poor me, all of the time was pushing attach node and waiting for something to happend, you have to select the pelvis (rootbone) ...

thanks to you, i got it now smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    haha snap.crackle.pop when i first started with max thats what i did. I was like shit how long does this take to do. Silly times...
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Is there some kind of limitation that prevents you from using Skin?
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is Skin a better choice than biped ?

im using biped because of the ease to rig a mesh, i don't really have any information about Skin, each time someone animates a character in Max its mostly done with BVH and biped
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BVH is a mocap format.
    Biped is a skeletal rig system.
    Bones can be used as an alternative to Biped (or with Biped as secondary bones).
    Skin and Physique are vertex-weight modifiers.

Skin is preferrable by most (all!) animators. Mainly for the better UI, more 3rd-party tools, and faster performance. Physique is legacy code, not been updated in ages.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Eric's got it. You can use Skin in conjunction with Biped, instead of Physique + Biped. Skin is better than Physique.

Biped is biped. It's got some nice features, but also some limitations compared to a custom rigged bones solution. But for dealing with Mocap, it is a fairly simple process using biped.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always taught biped was the "thing" to use under max, some gamestudio only use this for rigging, i only use it because i saw someone make a presentation 4 or 5 years ago. However there's a few thing that i would change if i had a say over it.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Max's bones, rigging, and animation tools are totally different from what they were 5 years ago. Biped is still an option but you are in no way restricted to using it for character animation in Max.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can get some good results either way you go, bi-ped or custom bones. You can also get some really crappy results both ways too. It just depends on how much practice you have using the given tools.

Most of the time I end up heavily customizing a bi-ped to the point it's not really a bi-ped. For me it's still faster than creating everything from scratch and I can use some of the bi-ped features.

I think you'll come to learn that max has 2-5+ ways of doing the same thing, one isn't "ALWAYS" better than the others but one could be really good at one thing. Be careful when you hear someone say "thats the only way to do it in max!" Chances are, it's not, and they haven't looked into the other methods yet.