Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Post: Low Poly Heads (amongst others)

Hi guys, first time posting, big fan of the community,

Here's a few things I've been working on, been using autodesk 3DS now for about 6 months a few hours a week,at home and 3 hrs a week at a local college, thought I'd sit down and get to grips with some low poly models, The topolgy is off and the smoothing groups are a rush job, but every one I do (left/right = oldest/newest) gets better(slightly) and obviously faster, ('bout 2/3 hrs each, hair is a placeholder)
Heroes1.jpg
Heroes1wf.jpg
also got some ultra low poly things from a few weeks ago:
rpgdes.jpg
and I've just started getting into mudbox, unfortunately my laptop doesn't allow for many iterations smile.gifso heres a few sketches.
mubx.jpg

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Excellent first post, welcome to polycount.

Considering the amount of polies you devoted to the lips, I think you definitely could have afforded a bit more detail to the noses on those heads, and maybe a bit more to the eyes.
  • Ramj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I totally agree, like I said, I'm getting better and whilst doing the third model I found that I really *do* need all the loops around the mouth, didn't really carry it through the face though, and noses scare me laugh.gif, so my next project, a severe study of noses.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Very very nice. I really like the mudbox stuff.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I am probably just projecting my own fanaticism with the show, but I'd guess those 3 heads are from left to right:
    Peter Petrelli: Milo Ventimiglia
    Hiro Nakamura: Masi Oka
    Claire Bennett: Hayden Panetierre

The little low poly room interiors look great!
    The characters are a little flat texture wise. You could probably do with a bit of shading, particularly under the faces/jawline.
  • Ramj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm suprised you recognised them, but you're right, and I can sympathise with your fanatacism, its sooo goood.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Welcome to Polycount smile.gif To your credit, I instantly recognised the characters from Heroes, and that is really impressive work with just untextured low polygon heads. As you've probably noticed if idling the forums, there's a lot of people who don't even manage that kind of likeness even with meshes around the million mark, digitally sculptured, and sometimes even textured.
  • Ramj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a big fan of high poly work, even without much experience I can't seem to get into it, I love the Handheld/low poly scene , and if I got into 3d much earlier I would have loved to have worked on games which had such a strict limit, now the work is getting so realistic and so high poly, I feel some of the appeal for me personally has been lost, I'm going to strive to make models as good as I'm seeing around here (I wish!), and see where it takes me.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Low poly is love
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The mudbox sketches are pretty neat (cool to see that even just starting out you've got a good mix of smooth and sharp). The lowpoly heads, though, are really solid, and the handheld-spec stuff is great (love the b/w dungeon cell). The only thing that stands out is the vast difference in texel size between some of the objects and their environment, chiefly the crates in the house interior. It would probably look better if you either upped the texture size for the interior, or dropped the size of the crate texture.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looking realy cool those heads ! the meshflow could be better thou wink.gif keep it up !
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Low poly is love

[/ QUOTE ]

and mixed with a bit of bill pixel textures with viewport grabs, you can't go wrong!

Love heroes, recognised them instantly.

If you ever go to texture, please make alternative future versions!!
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    i agree with the others - these are nice. and you've only been at it a few months!?

i know people that have been doing this for longer than that and they lack the same sense of anatomy. nice job.