Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

villa rotunda

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
hey folks. My first time visiting this site and as such my first post on this forum. hope i can offer you all something pleasing in my infancy. this is something i did last year. the triangle count is high, very high in fact. i have been thinking about trying to fix that. very high res, so it's thumbed. um... thoughts? modeled in max, levels adjusted, noise and sharpen filter.

villa02zi8.th.jpg

new: wireframe
villa03qz2.jpg

Replies

• roolie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little trick to make things look more realistic and a little higher poly is to champher some of the hard edges around the areas that are noticed more.
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it's interesting that you say that because lately i have been very concerned about that technique. i don't like doing it too often because the geometry gets so complicated and hard to keep straight. where do you think the model needs it most?
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say at the point of the walls to the sides of the stairs, they are close to the player and boxy atm, and I think the sides of the square mainbuilding. Are you going to use normal mapping? At the main square building part, someplace up you have some very small relief going, that could easily be done with normal maps instead. Looks good thought, promising!:)I like the greek theme you got going on in your building, but I might be biased:P
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, i see what you mean now. there are deffinetly some big open areas. once i get the +14k tri count down i will add some detail to the structures on either side of the stairs and some other places. also if i fix the geometry i shouldn't have much trouble unwrapping it.