Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d environment

Davett29
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Davett29 polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone, I just wanted to send out my progress on the environment I am working on at home for my personal portfolio. I saw alot of references of gears of war environments and wanted to give one of their environments a try. I do not know how to light up environments well, so I am working on that. Here is what I have so far with my lighting. I would like to have dusk partials in the volume light but, right now it only has noise. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

dtruong_environment.jpg

Replies

• Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I can't really tell as the image is a little dark, but it looks like you have light coming from the damaged cieling from two seperate light sources; one from top right and one from top left. The rays of light would all be traveling in the same general direction. Raising the intensity of said lights would do wonders also. Keep us updated as with proper lighting it could look quite good.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Lighting here looks really flat, as though everything is lit evenly or isn't lit at all.

How many lights do you have in the scene? See what you can do with three.

The environment itself looks good, but over-simplified. TBH, it looks like a ps2 environment, but since it's clearly based on the GoW concepts, I'd expected it to have a LOT more depth and detail. Nevertheless, it looks pretty good.
  • StartTday
    Offline / Send Message
    StartTday polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with the previous comments, very flat. Also, a few things bug me about the image. Those pillars look out of place. Maybe add some trim to the ends of those so they actually look like support structures. The broken log in the foreground of the scene had me scratching my head. Doesn't seem to fit.

Also, since there are holes in the ceiling, why not add some puddles and water damage to the wallpaper.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...since there are holes in the ceiling...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cisnky.com/images/blog/ceiling_cat.jpg
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you adjust the lighting, as already said, this will look like PS2 - which isn't bad! I'm willing to bet, however, that you'd like this piece to be impressive when shown and if you're looking to work on current-gen titles for 360, PC or PS3 than you're going to want to push this further.

For this particular scene you could easily push 30,000 to 50,000 triangles - and if its built efficiently it's going to look insanely detailed.

Idea's for iteration: Consider extruding the main shapes of the walls that are on either side of the stairs facing the camera and all other walls that look like it.

Cut the shapes you have in the ceiling out of actual geometry.

All of the bands that wrap horizontally around the pillars could be actual geometry. I wouldn't just extra them though, build them separately and have their geo intersect with the pillars main cylinder.

Make the garbage on the ground actually 3D. You'd only 4 triangles each to do this effectively.

Break the pillars up more and add bits of rubble around the broken one(s).
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    in addition to all the other comments.

The arch at the back of the scene doesn't look right. It looks like it was built with symmetry turned on then the intersections rotated and extruded. This causes the arch to lose it's uniformity. If this is in the ref then by all means go that route but a lofted arch would hold its shape better and give you a better shape.

Also with lofted arches in max you can adjust the settings to suit your poly budget.

The other arches in the side halls suffer a similar problem but its not as noticeable.

Great work btw! Keep pushing it.
  • rlostfrost
    Offline / Send Message
    rlostfrost polycounter lvl 17
    i think it would help if you posted the reference up..i would add more depth by increasing the polycount, for example the arches should demand more polygons for a more rounded feel. add damage to the pillars, maybe add more debris on the floor..everything's looking pretty good Davett29
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    The broken column seems weird to me. It might be the lighting, but it looks like a straight 45 degree slice.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Something that struck me as a little odd on first looking at your room is that you've got all this Greek/Roman style going on throughout the room and then you've got a Japanese motif on the wallpaper. You might be better with something that fits in with the rest of the architecture.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    well i say you did a good job i recognize the concept.....a john wallin piece
  • Davett29
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I was trying to figure out who did these concepts. I looked him up and that is him! His freaking paintings are off the chain! Now I can actually credit him for the concept instead of saying gear of war, which everyone is tried of hearing. Love his work.

I will post his painting along my 3d image when I fix some things up.
  • ohsomogilicious
    throw some reflect on the floor and really sex it up, looks good. i feel its inspiring
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I was trying to figure out who did these concepts. I looked him up and that is him! His freaking paintings are off the chain! Now I can actually credit him for the concept instead of saying gear of war, which everyone is tried of hearing. Love his work.

I will post his painting along my 3d image when I fix some things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

COOL!!! I CANT WAIT TO SEE THIS FINISHED!!!
  • Davett29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I wanted you guys to check out his website. It has the painting concept I am making and it also has all the rest of the concepts that he made for gears of war. I think after this is done, I may do one of his outside environment concepts to practice outdoor lighting ect.

http://www.johnwallin.net/site/main.html

There are a couple of environments in there that never made it to the game. His paintings look sweet though!
  • Davett29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here is the update. I added more geometry to the roof, walls, ground and pillar. I also had one of the artist at work help me setup up my lighting. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

dtruong_environment3.jpg
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    give it some polygons man! That pillar looks like it was sliced by the ninja-matic9000, get some crumbling rock in there!! More rocks and rubble from the busted-ness of it too smile.gif

I think it'd be worthwhile as well to take some screenshots from a different angles, in addition to the angle the concept was drawn from.

nice texture work in there! keep it up! smile.gif
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    render/bake a ao pass!
  • Davett29
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    render/bake a ao pass!

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that?
  • Mark Dygert
    Moose: I think that is pretty close to the angle of the concept?

Daveett29: Ambient Occlusion, you use the render to texture feature. It would help a wee bit, but I think you're just putting more icing on the cake at this point. Looks great, very close to the concept, nice work!

Crits:
    - You might want to keep tweaking the lighting to soften the sharpness of the light spot on the floor. Also might need to put in other light spots for the other holes, or visually explain what is blocking the light from making spot lights on the ground. I wouldn't copy the concept exactly when it comes to lighting, its kind of messed up and all over the place. Keep your lights logical and more based in the real world and it will come off looking better than the concept. (Its close already).
    - On the concept the main all at the top of the stairs has a large decorative window in the ceiling, that is shinning a lot of light on that area, dragging your eye right to it. I don't think you need to model the ceiling window but just adding light(s) like its there might pull off the same effect.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    http://www-viz.tamu.edu/students/bmoyer/617/ambocc/

That's ao(ambient occlusion).
    Imho it makes things look much better.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, i know the concept... my meaning was shots "as well as" the existing shots that are right-on the dot to the original. funny wording ftl.

Point being to see some angles that arent from the same perspective as the concept, since the stuff in there is nicely done, and very representative of the concept smile.gif
  • Davett29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I still need to do alittle more tweaks that vig suggested but here is a quick update:

dtruong_3denvironment.jpg