Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chaos - warhammer zealot

Hey all. Little something I'm working on in an attempt to get better at texture painting. It's sort of my own version of a chaos zealot from warhammer. Going with the mmo thing, I'm trying to nail down a base ungeared character then the gear. Just a fun little project and a chance to paint from scratch. Right now I've really only concentrated on trying to nail the face and skin. The gear isn't even started but I figured I'd post it anyway just to show what it looks like on.

I'm mainly looking for critiques on the texturing. It's really not wear I want it to be. I'm having trouble getting tone and depth. Any help crits would be great. Also, any tutorials that migh help would be appreciated. I've looked at Ancient Pig's and Poop's tut's, but any others would be great.

Let me know what you think.

zealot_01.jpg

and wires

zealotwires.jpg

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    looking good so far, mesh looks pretty tight. texturing seems decent so far also, keep going on it and post updates
    i'm not a big fan on the visible abs on chick models, unless the rest of their bods are buff as welli think it would be better to smooth out the tummy a bit
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I think you need to pick a lightsource and stick to it for this kind of diffuse-only painting. Your current lighting is a bit too "global" and flat. Imagine a source lighting the character from roughly above, and it should look ok in most situations. To help you visualise it, try creating a couple of ambient lights, stick one in front and above the character, and one above and behind (leave the ambient shade setting at its default 0.45). Hit 5 then 7 to see your character untextured and lit. You'll probably want a third, much weaker lightsource in a complementary colour lighting your character from below. Don't forget to fake some radiosity (bounced light) as well. Shotgun does a great job of this kind of old school painting : he's got some examples on his site which you might find useful.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Thats awesome, lovely polyflow and I love the texture laugh.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'm not a big fan on the visible abs on chick models, unless the rest of their bods are buff as

[/ QUOTE ]

Google up "figure competitor". Figure Competitions are the new, hot thing for female bodybuilders. Instead of looking like huge man men, they keep their womanly attractiveness. For reference that is.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    looks great! Wanna see more!
    btw: reminds me Pink a bit...
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks good man!
    critisim: texture need more contrast
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Good so far, I dont know what a Chaos Zealot is. Is there anywhere on the net to read about them? thanx
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the replys thus far guys. I'll definately keep updating for more feedback.

Winterlord: Zealot is a class in the upcoming Warhammer Online. www.warhammeronline.com I kinda took it my own direction just to have some fun with it, but I intend to stay pretty close to the costume design.
  • Psionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psionic polycounter lvl 18
    Might be worthwhile checking out deviantart.com, some of them goth chicks love photographing themselves wink.gif and it would be great reference for a chaos character like this...also maybe get some basic work done on the armour/clothing to help visualize the overall look as you go along??

Looking forward to seeing some more updates!!
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    I really like the stockings you've got going on there. Just add some more contrast to the skin and you'll have a nice little model there. One other thing...you might want to soften the lines on the sides of the nose a bit, right now they look like just that - lines.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Wow man, I really like the look of your model and the poly flow. got any tuts on how you build up your chars?

wanna make one? laugh.gif
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    If you bake some ambient occlusion into this, it will help to make it look less flat. Great model! Your mesh is nice and clean with great poly flow.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet thanks for the helps guys. I've been playing some more with getting more contrast out of the skin. I'm going to try an AO bake either today or tomorrow if I have time.

Bounchfx: I don't really do anything exciting to make my models. I just build a good model sheet either by drawing it or from a place like 3d.sk. I model the torso, arms, legs, and head seperate out of primitives shapes like boxes and cylinders. Then I sew it all together. Nothing special. Oh, and I usually try to put them in a relaxed pose that feels like there is weight to it rather then the extreme jesus pose. That's about it.

Update soon.

-Argyle
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    okay, but is there, like, a certain amount of sides/subdivisions you use when building these, or whatever you are in the mood for?

when I try to model characters I usually do I think 8 or 10, but I don't really have any set formula as I'm still trying to find a way that works good for me, the one thing that stood out to me about yours was the seamless edge flow your model had, and that's what I've been trying to achieve, I guess I'll obviously keep trying :P.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    What Quickel said.

The stockings and shoes look great!
    Nice mesh dude.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update. I've been mostly working on the skin still. I also did an ambient occlusion bake on it mostly just to test it out. I'll have to do it again with the gear on as well. The only part of her clothes I've really worked on at all is the shirt. I still need to paint out seams as well. As usual crits and help art greatly appreciated.

Clothed:
    zealot01.jpg

Naughty Bits:
    zealot02.jpg

-Argyle
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    I hope you get all of the warhammery details into her. Chaos has such nice ornaments :3 i'd also suggest a more gray purple skintone. To bring out more of the chaos in her.

I'm guessing that This is what you are roughly following?
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Very sexy, it looks much better as well. On a side note, nice ass.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's the concept I'm going off of mainly for the gear. I do plan on trying to get all those details in there, but I just wanted to nail the base model down first. I also decided against making her bald. More updates soon as I can get em done.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I have to echo Jaco's statement. The ass turned out nice.

I'd call it done at this point :P
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    her face is pretty chubby, in comparrison to the rest of her body.

i dig it for the most part, but something about it just doesn't scream chaos =/

where is the stigma?