Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters for animation

Here's the first of two characters for a short animation I plan to make eventually, someday maybe.

Concept:

img055.jpg

Model:

praylien.jpg

praylien2.jpg

I'll update when it's relevant to do so...

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great! cool concept and the head looks cool!
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    I like it. The concept is somewhat confusing (not in a bad way) because it's got "fairy wings" which are generally marks of friendlyness/good characters, while the head has strong "I will eat your soul..." sort of feeling. Good and evil together. The legs in the concept drawing are the weakest part of the design and seem tacked on. The modeling you've done so far is very nice.
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree about the legs being the weak part - the whole concept looks very insect, and the legs don't really fit in very well with that (my opinion only), the way stretch back seems to unbalance the concept a bit for me

I think it would look better having double kneejoint legs instead - that way you can still get a similar kind of movement in the animation, but I think the model overall would be more balanced crazy.gif
  • Nato_VanDookie
    Yeah...The legs were pretty much just tacked on...I got the head, torso and arms to a point I liked...but couldn't come up with anything for the legs. The double joints sounds good, I may give it a try.
    Also, this character's anatomy, or at least skeleton, is based slightly on a praying mantis...
  • Nato_VanDookie
    Progress update:
    praylien3.jpg

I did some minor tweaks to the clawed arms and, of course, added legs...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    great! i like the feet! one crit: the legs now seem a bit too long in comparison to the rest of him.
    keep it up!
  • Nato_VanDookie
    Concept update:
    img056.jpg

Just changed the legs and inked it...

Also, second character's concept:
    img057.jpg

This is the main character really, the alien is the bad guy. I was having a real hard time with the head and legs, but I think I solved those problems well enough...I know he's crooked, but the model will be better...
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    the robot guy looks an awful lot like GIR from Invader Zim fo rmy tastes. I think the bug guy is coming along nicely though
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    No, the robot looks more like Bender from Futurama! smile.gif
    Very cool designs.
  • Nato_VanDookie
    [ QUOTE ]
    the robot guy looks an awful lot like GIR from Invader Zim fo rmy tastes. I think the bug guy is coming along nicely though

[/ QUOTE ]

Several people have said that, but the only part that was even slightly based on him was the door on the front...
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I like the style. It's awfully difficult to be original today. Even by chance you are bound to make something that looks very much like some other work. Don't worry about it smile.gif
  • Nato_VanDookie
    It's just really hard(personally) to give a robot character, I think he has character now, but he doesn't really fit the style of the alien character, almost like they're from two completely different universes,which, technically, they are....
    The original model, that started the whole idea for this animation (that I'll make someday maybe),fit better with style, but lacked character, I'll post up a picture later because I may revert back to it...
  • Nato_VanDookie
    Ok...So here's my progress so far on the above robot:

Roboto1.jpg

roboto2.jpg

And here's the robot that inspired an animation...

robo1.jpg

robo2.jpg

The second has more style(and polys, but less character...hence my problem...