Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art Test- Crits and Suggestions

Hello everyone,

I recently completed this environment art test for a company. I had one week to complete it, and it had to be an environment of an alleyway, any theme or variation of an alleyway was acceptable though. I was considering putting this environment as is on my portfolio website, but I thought that I should perhaps do another pass or two over it to really refine things, as well as get the needed crits and comments from other polycounters. grin.gif

The scene is mainly constructed out of tileables not going over 512*512, just diffuse and specular. It is also, naturally, constructed out of mod-able pieces so that they can be reused to build other buildings with different textures on them. I will likely do my own paint-over of the scene (which I will post here after a few crits and suggestions.) So please, feel free to rip it a new one, I really want to hammer this one out before I put it up on the website.

EnvironmentScreen1-800thumb.JPGEnvironmentScreen1-Wire-800thumb.JPGEnvironmentScreen3-800thumb.JPGEnvironmentScreen5-800thumb.JPGEnvironmentScreen6-800thumb.JPG

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is there a reason you went with repeating textures rather than unwrapped modular set pieces? I like it, but I think uniquely unwrapping mod pieces would have gotten some more unique details out of it.

What engine is this for?
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Alleyway Art Test eh? Hrm...I hear Los Gatos is nice this time of year. :]

It has sensible use of polys and good textures. The only thing that stands out for me are the obvious seam issues shown below:

environmentza6.gif

I'd also get rid of that shot altogether, the gate in the foreground is too "in your face", in my opinion.

As far as presentation goes, there doesn't seem to be a single shadow being cast.

As a whole, it's a good piece, only a few minor things that need tweaking, in my opinion. Good luck on the job! :]
  • Grey
    Hi Andrew,
    I first want to say what I like:
    -The texture work on the stone gate in the back.
    -I also like the little area where there are broken flower
    pots and debri and the boarded windows. Though the area could use more work to make it dirtier.

Some things to think about:
    -The seams as already mentioned.
    -The ground plane is way to clean. Some grunge and trash would enhance it.
    -The same brick on all the buildings make them all look like one building and therefore each doesnt have its own character. I also think Unwrapping them and giving distinct textures would make them look better, but I dont know the limitations of the test.
    -And work some more on your lighting, there are barely any shadows..and when most people think of an alley, there are usually shadows present, creates an squished feeling on the viewer and makes it more believable.

Hope that helps out. Have a good one and keep it up!
  • RussianKaliber
    Did you ever get the job?

I wonder if the company you did the art test for knows about you puting it up here.

Cause I clearly remember the "Confidential" sign all over the directions wink.gif

Good luck anyways