Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character - Roman Warrior

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hi fellas,
decided to show my latest wip here. I started working on this model few days ago and I´d really like to finish this one, because I´m pretty satisfied with the progress.

xport1on8.jpg

Here´s a detail on the face:

xportheadgrabswc6.jpg

The limit is 6 000 tris. Right now it´s 3070 (including some redundant tris around the mirroring)

I hope you like it - do not hesitate to add some crits.

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The face is more african than roman.
    Otherwise, you are better than me.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    looks pretty nice so far, the face reminds me of the characters from "Reign" with the large lips and strong chin , eye sockets are a bit large though. Also arms could use some more definition.
    Is this going to be a high poly, normal mapped character? I'd love to see more.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zenarion - I´m very surprised that you have recognized some african charts on the face. Originally it was the head for my wip of John Coffey (from Green Mile, really great movie!!!). I just edited the head, but I´ll try to remake it a bit more...

Cybroxide - thank you. This one is going to be Normal Mapped character, so I hope I´ll be able to add better definition to the arms using the normal map. The eye sockets are not final, of course. I´ll edit that area when I´ll be adding the eyes.
    I work on this one just for fun, but my goal is to make a good looking game character.
    Btw. I had to search google to find out what´s that "Reign".
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good so far. smile.gif
    Some crits. Sorry if they sound a little harsh, I think you have a good start:

-Helmet looks good to me. It may be possible to save a few more polies on it, but nothing extreme.

-Normal maps aren't going to fix the problem with your arms, you need silhouette definition. Switch your viewport to Flat mode and take a look, they're practically just cylinders. Grab some ref if you're not sure what to do, should only take a few minutes to get some tweaks done.

-The cuirass, for some reason, has me thinking the guy is a little overweight and had specially designed armor. Why is everything arching out with a downwards curve like that? I would think some of those plates would be flatter, or if they are bowed, at a different angle. Could be completely wrong, though.

- Thumb is well modeled but anatomically wrong. You have the polygons in place already to fix it, too. Look at your own hand (in multiple poses) and see what you can do with those bottom few looks to make it look more properly connected to the hand.

-Head topology is solid, and I like the nose a lot.

-Eyes are massive and the nose is a little too high.

-Jaw connection isn't quite right. You could just leave this to textures, but with how highpoly everything is I would think you'd just want to define it.

-Lips are meeting at the corner. I know somtimes this is the only poly-effective way to define everything, but naturally the bottom lip curves inwards in real life. If you're gonna animate this mouth you'll definitely benifit from changing things around, and personally I'd try and get it to look more correct anyway.

-Face is too wide? I can't say 100%, but I think overall the face is a bit too wide compared to the head. Normally I would think a little would show past the very front plane of the cheeks. This could be the big eyes throwing me off, though.
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the arms need some work, possibly define the deltoid some more. The arms look like average arms, if you used reference. For someone doing a lot of combat like a gladiator their muscles would be a lot more defined.

anmuaro.gif
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore:

thank you for the critique, I really don´t think that constructive critique like this can even SOUND harshly. I agree with your comments and I really appreciate that.

Now lets follow the points

- I never know how much can the normal map affect the model, but now I think that (if I understand you cleary) the main thing is to make a good siluette what means that normal mapping will not affect the shape of the siluette (videlicet: it doesn´t add any depth). Is it right?

Anyway, here are some grabs showing that the arms aren´t just cylinders:
    xportit7.jpg

- The hand is a bit (more) older than the rest of the model. In fact, working on the thumb was my nightmare for very long time in past. I´ll try to do my best and make it look more real.

- Cuirass: Yes, he is a bit overweight, but I don´t exactly know which part of the armor do you concretely talk about. Maybe you could sketch it into my viewport grabs, if you want.
    Btw here´s a picture I used as kind of a reference for my characters armor (except that helmet) for better idea what sort of armor I want for it.
    http://www.markchurms.com/Merchant2/graphics/caesar-d.jpg

- Finally somebody appraised the nose. I´ve been training modeling a nose for that long time, I spend so many sleepless nights, overspilled so many gallons of sweat and tears, until it became the strongest part of my models. smile.gif

- When I was starting this I didn´t think about animation of the mouth, but I think that I could try that...

- According to the head. The face is really bigger than the head, I didn´t realize that fact untill you didn´t tell me.
    Thanx

PolyPutty:
    Thank you for the reference picture. I´ll add some more definition to the arms. The reason why I didn´t spend that much time working around the deltoid is that it´s going to be hidden under the clothes, but I´ll remake it, ´cause in some cases it can get into a position (during some animation) when the deltoid will "peep out".

btw. what´s better for you, guys - Perspective or Fron/Side view? I always use perspective, but it distorts the proportions a bit (depending on how far from the model is the camera), so I don´t know....

I´m sorry for my english, fellas.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I think they mean his gut is too big, making him appear fat.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That big gut was an intention. I want to make him into a position of authority. Not usual warrior, but some kind of general or something.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Your texture is terrible, dude
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There´s no texture, dude
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was Jimmie's unique sense of humor at work. tongue.gif
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    His tits need some reworking. They look funny.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys. Here´s my latest update.
    xport1hi3.jpg
    I decided to make him more athletic so no big gut anymore.
    I have scaled down his head a bit, because I didn´t like it the way it looked before.
    I have also edited the arms a bit, but there´s still something I don´t like.
    The legs should be fine, I guess.

Here´s a head grab and silhouette.
    xport2uq1.jpg
    According to the eyes: Right now I think of making his eyes individually from spheres, so the final look will be very different.

Comments are welcome