Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Enviromental model: market stall

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
kypo polycounter lvl 17

Hello, its been a long time since i've posted on polycount but i'm getting a portfolio together and wanted to get come some thoughts on some of the work i'm going to include.

I started this piece last week, i'm pretty happy with it at the moment, tho the items on the market stall seem to stick out pretty badly. I'm going to pick up fable, and oblivion on the weekend and see how they handle items on stalls and in shops, but any ideas would be more than welcome.

2000482842434118055_rs.jpg

And the wire
2000422602411378282_rs.jpg

thanks guys.

Replies

• Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    cozy smile.gif me like. wood texture could have a bit mroe definition but its cool
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The rolled up cloth is waay low on resolution. Its a big detail, so you should give it some sweet lovin :>
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it =)

Crits:
    - The tiny mental bits should be baked into your texture. They aren't effecting the silhouette of the model at all.
    - Those few polys you save could go into the bags to round them out and help their silhouette.
    - If the ground is two custom textures (ignore this if they tile) but you should bake them into one and make it a bump.
    - To echo what Zenarion said about the cloth, it needs to be un-noisified and bumped.
    - Are you ever going to see the cloth unrolled? then you can cut out a TON of those polys and just do the ends with a texture.
    - If the roll is your night time security system you need to come up with something for the sides, they would be wide open at night. Also most of those types of shades would have a lock the shade attaches too.
    - If the shade is just a sun shade some kind of post stand detail would help frame the sellers area. you don't need to put the posts in (maybe leaning against the side) but some small blocks with post holes.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Sa74n: thanks for the big up : ) the wood is quiet low res, none of the textures are over 256, but there are a few of them. i'm going to be baking in some more detail so maybe i should up the res?

zenarion: agree with what your saying, i'm going to add some cloth to the sides to come down, so i'll revisit the uv's and crank some love into the res.

Vig: thanks for the input and crits.

-i never reallyed looked into the metal bits as being as textures but it would make more sence plus i haven't posted the poly count yet : S so this will help get it down.
    -the ground i'm not to worried about as it more more of a stand to but the model.
    -the cloth i do think needs looking at now, might do a paint over and see what i can come up with, whether it be a change to the set up at the min or maybe your shade idea.... i'm going to be using the model as a still in my porfolio so it'll never unroll.

thanks.
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do you go about baking details in, just painting them in the texture or do you turn them into a normal map? I am very interested in the process you guys are taking about.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What's your target game engine/hardware platform? Modeling every piece of fruit like that, and not to mention the end of the rolled up canvas (as Vig pointed out) wouldn't be smart in most situations that I could think of. Game Art is often akin to impressionist art. You're not able fully realize every single tiny detail in 3D, so you need to create a visual impression for the player. The polycount on that thing must be insane, and in most cases you'd be far more likely to have to model some kind of approximation of a big pile of fruit, as opposed to a detailed model of every single piece of fruit. The model looks good though, maybe the textures need a little contrast boost.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Daz about the fruit, modeling a fruit pile would be much lower poly than placing the fruit. However there are some engines that allow fruit to have physics and that MIGHT, MIGHT, be reason enough to leave it as each fruit piece.

Also think about what you can do with decals to drop in some random texture details.

For the baking of the metal parts, use the render to texture feature.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks again for the good input guys, i agree with the items on the stall, they stick out very badly to me when i look at the render so i know i would need to deal with them. I tired basing a normal map off the items currently being used in the scene but it gave some bad results. i was going to look at how dead rising had tackeled the problem, and maybe mimic some thing similar. Creating a fruit pile is also quiet a good alternative that i hadn't thought of, tho if fuit is causing me to many problems i might change the stand to sell tea pots : )
    Again thanks for the crits, will be back on the model sunday to get the changes under way.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work so far, any chance to see the textureflats so we can see how you unwraped it?

You mentioned Oblivion and I think this would look nice ingame, you might want to give it a shot. Modeling everything as separate items wouldn't be too weird considering Oblivions mass of "pick up able" items.

I'm with zenarion and vig on the cloth, you really want to check those wrinkles by the straps. Throw the model into ZB and get some wrinkles modeled up and get a nice normal map out of it. The tiny metal parts would also gain a lot from being modeled and added to map. Finally, I would suggest modeling the boards as well.
    However, I'm not sure howe well Oblivion handles mirroing such as you have on the front face on the stall when it comes to the normalmap, so it might be a waste of time...
  • The Umbrella Man
    I really like this, my only problem is the wood is all one single color, muted. And the fruit in the basket looks awkward in comparison to the very dark muted wood texture. I would either bump the color up a bit on the wood, or tone the eye pop on the fruit down, thats why so much attention is being drawn to it right now.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    hello,

just a quick update, i've made some changes to the style of the roof. Not sure if i like it yet but i guess its work in progress, it may just be that i need to change the lighting so that the new overhang part doesn't shadow the rest of the stand so much.

2003068984253195705_rs.jpg

Still not sure what to do with the wood, might have a play with the levels in side photoshop and see if i can draw out some more detail. i was thining of making the metal parts stand out more, maybe by pushing some more saturation on them.

I also found this texture which i'm going to adapted to replace the seperate fruit items on the stand. hopefully that will bring the items more in line with the rest of the model.
    2005496453231253460_rs.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOVE the new roof, very nice. The wood could pack a little more punch, some more normal mapping on them or AO-pass? You say you want to make the metal parts stand out more, I'd say take the 1-pixel brush and highlight some edges. Also get NifTools and take a look at oblivions models, yours seems to be in the same style, might be good to see how they did it. It helped me alot...they also use the highlighting, especially on a crossed metal fence, it looked beautifull and I was wondering why.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    would be cool if you projected the stripe color of the canopy into it's cast shadow.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, update time. Think this will be my last update to this unless any one picks some thing out that must be changed, so I can get started on my next piece. I would have liked to put more items on the model, especially as it’s a bit of a sparse market stall.

2003027915612474864_rs.jpg

Main textures

2003034755288662508_rs.jpg2003077647219663884_rs.jpg

2003013000657350610_rs.jpg2003035086408702988_rs.jpg

2003061905091233697_rs.jpg2003021750974994977_rs.jpg

thanks
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    would be cool if you projected the stripe color of the canopy into it's cast shadow.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to ask a quick question on how you would have gone about getting the canopy to cast a shadow like this?

thanks
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i have no idea. smile.gif light projection? glow map? vert color?
    there's always a way.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit*
    misread...silly me, consider this non-existant
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    LOL at Cory.

Kypo you know my opinion smile.gif

Edit:- Infact I think you should put a couple of those pots back along the back shelf.

John