Davision3D polycounter
...a mutated hairless Mouse. smile.gif

mouse-comb.jpg

crits welcome

Replies

• Vylaroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good but isn't he missing a crotch? I like the exaggerated muscle structure. grin.gif
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    We're gonna need a big cat! Looks good. Som parts could use some more work, like the ribs could use some curvature and the back looks more like plating than musculature, looks a bit rushed. Keep it up smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mighty mouse on roids! hahaha its great! I really like the model. It has a lot of character and the head/face is really well done, ears too. Nice sculpting work!

Crits:
    Looks like you used muscle anatomy reference which is good, however you forgot about skin and fat which is almost always stripped away in muscle ref. It looks like he has a negative body fat ratio, rats are lazy scavengers who carry quite a bit of fat for such a small animal. Also note, when body builders have this level of muscle detail (they really don't get this well defined, they would die first) they are actually at their weakest. If your rat is going to be a warrior he wouldn't starve himself for days and be at the point of almost clasping, all the time. Body builders do that for a week ramping up to a competition and it is very damaging, but looks impressive.

Muscle bulk and definition do not always = strength. I would suggest put some fat/skin back on him in some key areas.

Tails, WHY does everyone make tails jut out from the tail bone at a 90 degree angle? Its an extension of the spine/tail bone. Just because we can stand a character up right doesn't mean we get to break their tails. I don't buy the excuse its for rigging either, at a 90 degree angle it just makes it hard to weight correctly where it counts and can cause stretching when you relax the tail.

Check the skeleton of just about anything with a tail if you think I'm nuts.
    skeleton1.jpg
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    It's Splinter and Arnolds Baby!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx all

@ Vylaroth
    The crotch is on his back wink.gif

@ nkoste
    I definitive work on that

@ Vig
    I agree that nobody can archive such a muscle structure. Maybe i overdone it. wink.gif But its a mutated Mouse, he had to suffer some crazy experiments for that muscle structure. It should be stylized and i dont really care about that this big muscels are not working for a lot of strength.
    I will smooth it out in some areas, to show at least some skin above the muscels. smile.gif Maybe i will put some tech stuff at it to show that this are not natural build muscels.
    Damn, i should know that tails are an extension of the spine.

@ ThatDon
    How thats suppose to work? laugh.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    mouse-comb2.jpg

The flat round things are connectors that are left from the experiments. The other attachment is for pumping drugs into the body to keep these big muscles working.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it seems you've covered all your bases. damn you!.. until we meet again! L:
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    nice ! the muscles are a bit too exagerated, and i think that they could be a tad smoother ( look into wrestlers muscles ) Also that thingy in the back its the most cliche thing we usually see in a model...

keep it up wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the muscles, depending on how he textures it, he could need that level of definition. If he adds hair (painted or alpha) to it, that will make the muscles harder to read and will balance out the definition. Which is a reason all body builders are hairless wonders. IF the character is going to be a regular no hair type, then I can see adding in some stretched skin across some of the muscle creases. Still keeping the crease but adding that stretched skin for some added detail. Might as well start tossing in a few veins also =P

I really like the tech bits, awesome work! Good idea too. I forgot to comment on his spine before (or lack there of) but you covered that and then some =)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would love this character, if he was the same size as a mouse in proportion to man laugh.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx

@ killingpeople
    tongue.gif

@ Johny
    I think i will try to smooth some less important muscles.

@ Vig
    No hair for him, there is still not a solution to make good looking hair in games. frown.gif
    Stretched skin across muscel creases is a good idea and the veins are a must do but that all means subdividing once more, hopefully that wont bring along some big problems.

@ almighty_gir
    ...as a mouse in proportion to man?...the mutated mouse is in proportion as big as the man and the man is in proportion as big as the normal mouse! laugh.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sub-D in certain key areas not the entire thing, if you are worried about pushing too many polys.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of these guys:
    bikers.jpg

I agree about the crotch thing... perhaps some metal undies? Could be designed to sqeeze his nuts if he gets out of control wink.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Smoothed it a bit, streched the skin, made some veins and i made something for hideing the crotch, but it just seems too eyecatching to me. frown.gif

mouse-comb3.jpg

@ Vig
    Good idea, but it worked with less smile.gif

@ Maulor
    Who are that freaky guys?
    Sqeezing nuts is too nasty for me! laugh.gif
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice indeed, keep it up

tim
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Consider revisiting the abs/core. They look more like packs of fat lined up than a strong, defined core. Also, the thighs are too small, especially from the side, for the overall proportions.

Let Mr. Olympia be your guide
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jhA3KKfEslU
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx

@ cholden
    Im working ob the abs...now smile.gif. The thighs should be like that. The vid is a very good ref.

Btw: Does someone know if a mouse has muscels in his tail? smile.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    no they don't appear to have defined muscles in their tails, only at the base
    Mouse muscle ref ala google

and covering the crotch isn't really necessary. Mice don't have free floating genitalia like humans anyway.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I made some tech strengthening for the tail and the low poly is finished except the tail.

mouse-comb4.jpg
    (The high poly is not fully subdivided)

I allready marked the the main seams of the UVW. I hope this placement will result in less ugly seeable normel seams.

@ Vailais
    Thx
    American kids are not allowed to see that either. wink.gif
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    is that low poly model also the base mesh, if so try to keep it all in quads next time..
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    lookin' good!

btw those guys are the Biker Mice From Mars! smile.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Hell no Evil, that would be a mess. Thats the Basemesh:
    mouse-base.jpg

thx Maulor
    Biker Mice from Mars! laugh.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    It was a lot of work to mutate it to the low poly. Finally here are some screenshots with normal, AO and basic color:
    mouse-lowcomb.jpg
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    very nice normal map. I like it.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great! now texture!!! :P
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx

...and here is the Texture smile.gif
    Not finished yet but i think some crits&commments in the progress would be very helpfull.

mouse-tex1.jpg
    (The tech thinks are not touched yet and mainly details on some parts of the body are missing)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks sweet! push the contrasts a bit more, right now i like the diffuse only picture better than the one with normals...
    the ears really look good :P and i like the slime coming out of his mouth.
    good luck! keep it up!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Too much shading painted into the diffuse. Combined with the normal map it's just making everything black.
    Too much specularity on the skin is giving it the Doom 3 "plastic wrap" look.
    Needs something to offset the green bit up top, it's pretty unbalanced. Green highlight on the crotch, maybe? laugh.gif
    Could use something to break up the skin a bit - give it a little noise. Blemishes, dark spots, etc. Looks more like really short fur than skin right now on the arms/legs/head.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I think your on the right track by deciding to paint the diffuse a bit more. I would actually up the ambient on the normal mapped model tone the normal map down just a hair, and actually get a really good spec map going. the Spec is the weakest part right now. Looks sweet.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Cool action figure you have there.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx
    I think normal maps tend to make everthing hard and dirty shaded which is a very bad thing for skin. So, Im useing a skin shader now and i reduced the shadeing in the diffuse and also reduced the specularity, but im still useing a dark diffuse as the spec map:

mouse-tex2.jpg
    (Hard surface stuff is still very wip)
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin really cool man, those arms look awesome. Only thing I don't like is the green acne on his stomach. It looks natural on his chest but it seems unnatural on his abs. Super minor stuff man and probably just personal preference, keep it up!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Here is the final:
    mouse-tex3fin.jpg
    (Using Diffuse, Specular, Specular Power, Normal and Skin weight map.)

Crits and Comments are welcome

P.S. thx Nate
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats awesome, nice work! I love the ears.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    really nice.
    i like his ears, are there some kind of skin shader?
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice! can we see some texture flats:)?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thx

I used the Mental Ray SSS fast Shader.

Here are the main textures:

mouse-dif.jpg

mouse-normal.jpg

mouse-spec.jpg

I found out he looks also nice in white smile.gif, so i made a white version with some small changes:

mouseW-fin.jpg