Home Technical Talk

UT2004 jump tweaking

Here's the deal: we've got this idea for a level in Unreal that's based around acrobatics (jumping and stuff). We need to be able to jump from wall to wall. However, we don't know how to do that or even where to start. If we could somehow tweak the wall jump so that the player actually goes higher as they jump instead of just directly to the left/right etc., that would be great. I hope that makes sense. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you should be able to do this with just a species mod.
    The species type has a value for DodgeSpeedZ. This is a component that is added to the upward velocity on a walldodge.
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>//walldodge part
    if (Velocity.Z < -DodgeSpeedZ*0.5) Velocity.Z += DodgeSpeedZ*0.5;

</pre><hr />
    So you can try out a custom specie, or you can extend xPawn.uc and overwrite the dodge function with an implementation that better suites you.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok cool. So how/where would I go about doing this? I've never touched the Unreal script so I'm not really sure where to start. Also, I've got another question for anyone up for it. How can I make the player stick to a wall? We'd like it if the player could stick to a wall then decide where/when they want to jump. And it would be totally cool if the player could jump from wall to wall. What say you?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    oh jeez. heh.

Ok well if you are going to be altering the movement that much then the species thing isn't gonna cut it.

If you want your players to be all crazy like spiderman/ninjas, you're going to likely need to make your own custom player controller and extend xPawn.uc to alter the movement functions you want.

A couple of things I can think of for the pause then jump thing.
    You'd wind up writing a routine that if the player is in mid jump and collides with part of the level it sets their physics to PHYS_Spider or PHYS_flying until they hit the jump button again.

Its not going to be terribly simple to implement. But its doable.
    if you don't have much experience with scripting start here
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome.html
    also
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com

those are both good resources for learning the ins and outs of unrealscript, and of course just jump right in and start learning how the engine works by reading through the scripts.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Try to track down the team that did the Matrix mode for the first UT. It did a bunch of the stuff that you're planning to do.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    As far as making a player stick to the wall, you might be able to do something with spiderwalk. I know Tulkamir was just finished working on an unreal mod that involved a lot of walking on walls. He may be able to point you in the right direction if you ask him.