Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Big chunky bastard (now with more lowpoly fun)

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looking really nice ! make it fallout like in terms of perspective. also i would try to outline the characters maybe ?
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work lowtekk, but i have a question.

Can you tell me why you create characters with low spec like this, do you like low limitations or your simply under tight budget when working with them ?
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Johny. laugh.gif I'll be shifting the camera lower, so it's more of a 30-ish degree downward angle, instead of the 45 degrees in the previous shots, so it's closer to isometric. Not entirely sure about outlines, though. I did originally throw on an outline, but it ended up making the sprite look very heavy and chunky, since the thickness of the outline ends up being a good proportion of the size of the sprite. I've still got outlines on separate layers, though, so I can mess around with that further down the line.

snap.crackle.pop, thanks man. smile.gif Truth be told, it's a bit of both. The DS has a fairly strict poly budget (hardware limit of 2k visible polies or 6k verts), which is the reason for the almost idiotically low tricount of the original character models. However, I actually enjoy the hell out of working around these limitations. smile.gif

Did up a pistol stance last night but forgot to post it:
    male_idle2b.gif

Gotta do up the remaining 7 directions before I get cracking on alt poses and animations. The sprites will be paperdolled, so I can swap stuff in and out (that's something I'm quite adamant about).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

male_idle2b.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

These are too tiny, too see anything. frown.gif
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, sorry, I had gotten kinda used to the click-to-zoom functions on some pixelart forums. Here they are at 200%:

male_idle1f2.gifmale_idle2b2.gif

Sizewise, they'll be about 1/6 the height of a DS screen (32px).
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a bit of time doing up SW and W facing poses (second pic is at 2x):
    male1.gifmale2.gif

and a quick rotation showing the three facings so far.
    male_StoW.gif

threw 'em on a shot of the enviro, just for kicks. Still haven't redone the enviro textures. I'll probably have to zoom in a tad closer, too, since they look like oversized people now.
    mockupshit7a.gif

edit: zoomed