Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sky pirates!!!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Well it's got the Ye Olde England look you'd expect from the book. Kind of getting a Big Fish or Baron of Munchausen feel from it, so I expect it'll be absorbing to see in a theater...

The casting seems ok. I was hoping Yvaine would've been played by someone feistier. Michelle Pfeiffer is hawt!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Neil Gaiman is awesome, I've read a few of his books (not this one though)... definitely checking this out in theaters
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like another entertaining fantasy movie. I'll probably go see it.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...so I expect it'll be absorbing to see in a theater...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more absorbing to see it at the home theater. I commonly hear that "this is one you shouldn't miss on the big screen" but really what I find is that the theater is just a big pain in the ass. At the theater you have people that won't stfu, coughing in your air and are just generally very inconsiderate. At home you get to rest comfortably in your favorite couch/recliner/beanbag/etc, and you get to choose your intermissions for snack/booze/potty times.

A good film is far more absorbing when I don't have inconsiderate assholes interrupting the magic for me. What better way to cut the suspension of disbelief, nay, shatter the illusion than a nice anonymous SBD fart wafting across the olfactory senses. The anonymity makes it even more disgusting than if it were your mother's.

Call me antisocial but when large high-definition screens and audio are commonplace, there's really no reason to go to the theater at all unless you feel like being part of the excitement of an opening night of a particular film, or you just feel the need to hang out with a crowd.

IMO the only thing that the public theater has over the private one is that the blockbusters come out to the public ones first, but that's contrived just to pluck the pocket. $10 a ticket? Get fucking real.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well over here in SE asia, it's $4 a ticket. smile.gif Perhaps the theater experience is different here than it is over there? For the most part I haven't been through anything that I would call a pain in the ass...

Personally I don't feel the need to purchase big expensive appliances and stock up on snacks at home, partly because I'm saving up for a nice apartment (don't wanna be a renter for life), so plunking down the occassional few bucks is ok. I like seeing films in theaters, as do my friends, I have a bunch who are gaiman fans so we'll be going down to see this one at the thx for sure.

Any films I wanna get one-on-one with, I see on my laptop. My only expensive property, and it's a money-making one too. smile.gif

Anyway, I guess the home theater thing spoils you, that nice little controlled enviro with no distractions and the movie front and center. No doubt the way they're meant to be viewed.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Going to the cinema is an experience. Being able to share the collective emotion of the crowd makes a film all the more enjoyable. Sitting in a dark room in your house is just bland by comparisson, no matter how big your screen is or fancy your speakers are.

The acting in this film is kinda strange. It seems deliberately overacted, almost theatrical. Nevertheless, it looks like some fun.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to see it at sledgy's home theater
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    be careful not to cough and fart a lot
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

The casting seems ok. I was hoping Yvaine would've been played by someone feistier. Michelle Pfeiffer is hawt!

[/ QUOTE ]

DeNiro looks out of place in that movie, IMO. I'll probably wait until it hits DVD to see it, though.