Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Digital Doodle

Hello there, since I failed to really make an impression with my first post, I'd like to get a retry. It's nowhere near what you guys do, but I want to get better by practising. Crits greatly appreciated smile.gifdoodlerl8.jpg

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    It seems very phalic...I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not really sure what this is. I would assume it was something you just started drawing not knowing exactly where you were going. I think its kind of cool and sometimes i do the same kind of thing.

If you would like it to look 3 dimensional you didn't quite a achieve that, I would say block it out with geometric shapes in the beginning it would really help. take 30 seconds to construct it with spheres and rectangles and it will tend to look better.

also you could add more color variation. Using a color scheme for your shadows and highlights would make a huge difference. and sharpen up some of the edges on your shadows and highlights to make it look less blurry.

I am not entirely sure if it was your intentions but this thing seems to have two very shafty objects on his face, maybe its just me being immature i don't know.

right on man keep on painting.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your replies:)!
    You are exactly right on that seankaremaker, it started with just some careless shaping around. I think it looks like a sort of bumpy plaquard, a relief now, and that's not what I wanted, I will try your suggestion with geometric shapes. I wondered where I should put those colours, i just basicly took some different Blackness values and sometimes i changed the hue abit, to some greenish of reddish tone.
    Well As I was totally focussed on the shapes themselves I didn't really paid too much attention as too wether they might look "shafty", now you say it, it does look a bit shafty, not intentionally done though.
    Thanks for your advice, I will improve it soon with more updates.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    I have to admit, that does look like a giant phallus coming from his nose region.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    and there's something wrong with that?

I'll wait until you update it to crit anything, as its mostly been pointed out already. Would be a fine candidate for the long-neglected Concept Tag...
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get more color in it you could use A color scheme for your shadows and highlights rather than a darker or lighter version of the objects local color. I would suggest trying blue for shadows and yellow for highlights or Violette and orange. if you make it subtle it will look natural while making the image look more interesting. If you really want it to pop try using some discordance in your highlights and shadows.

I hope this helps
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for that colour scheme tip. I have made the basic shapes with shading in colour now.
    doodlesimpleshadingcopysk4.jpg
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    I dont think that colour scheme is the problem. frown.gif are you trying to make a weiner tree? wtf....
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually I was trying to shade my doodle properly this time, it looked like a relief last time. When I created my doodle it wasn't intentionally created with these "shafty" forms. I guess you could see it as a sort of totem idol face, and this could be the one of fertility.
    Some crits on wether I shaded it properly this time are greatly appreciated, as I'm having trouble deciding what should be light and what not sometimes.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it happens, sometimes unknowingly and then somebody comes along and tells you it looks phalac, usually I would change direction at that point, but you seem to have embraced it, nice going man smile.gif, it takes some balls, which is exactly what your painting needs to complete it.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mikebart, I actually wanted to keep this form to make sure I could properly shade such a form. Looks a bit less weiner tree then before I guess, more like a creature trapped inside a wooden thingy, or something that houses there, like a hermit.

Another update, I'm ready for some solid critique:)
    doodle3ti1.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nother update. About to call it finished, It looks a bit colourfull and childish though.
    doodle4ow2.jpg