Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My portfolio site is up

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I have my site up and running.

http://www.rms3d.com/home.html

Im mostly looking for West Coast opprotunities. CA or WA area.

Thanks all.

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, we'll start with the good. You have a lot of obvious images of your work on the front page. That is good. You always want to have some manner of image on your front page that showcases your work and grabs the user's interest. Never make them work to see something. Especially if you're looking to be hired. Your work also appears to be pretty solid. Your texture work is very convincing, and your environments seem well-built. I'm no authority on weapons, but the guns seem great to me.

Now for a bit of criticism. You don't have any link to your personal information or a downloadable resume. If you're looking to get hired, you definitely want a link like that on the front page. It can be smaller and unobtrusive, but it should definitely be there. An employer shouldn't have to e-mail you just to get your resume. It should be available immediately. As to your work, you should really have some "production" shots. And by that, I mean I would like to see more wireframes and texture sheets. (it's fine to put watermarked logos over your texture sheets if you're worried about security) This would be especially necessary for your environmental pieces. (where low polycounts are more essential) Your site's structure is also very simple, although I don't think that is actually a weakness. You might consider adding one or two links to your primary nav bar at the top of the page, just to make it a bit easier to get around. The "Back" link at the bottom of every portfolio page is a good idea. It's a natural progression for scrolling down through the pictures.
  • buddy the designer
    Nice stuff You got there, weapons look very nice excluding some uv stretching here and there, I'm not fan of your environments. The only problem I see with your folio is (excluding what Richard Kain said) that there is basiclly no handpaint or even partially photosourced models in there, what I mean is that if You'd be given to model some prop/weapon/anything that you can't photograph in real world the quality would be really lower than the one you shown with weapons.

Some Wires and UV/textures would be nice to see in there.

Good luck.
  • RussianKaliber
    Guys,

Thank you so much for pointers, and your advises.

I will definitely put my resume up tonight.

As for environments, those pieces there are done in my free time that is usually very limited. Only if I had more time 

And as for photo textures. I have a huge texture library that I built using my digital camera. I have Metals, Rocks, Concretes, Wood, Walls etc.
    So actually you would be surprised what you can do with a base photo to start with if you don’t have real good photo opportunity for a specific object.

That’s actually 80% of my work like that. If something I have to make I got no access to, I will start with a photo base (Metal, Concrete, Wood etc), and start adding/painting detailing depending on the piece I have to create.

It works well.

Thanks again guys

Cheers

Roman
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think you've got a great portfolio put together. My only crit would be to add your resume as R Kain mentioned. Potential employers will want that paper reference for later.

btw, I'd love to know how you did the tank treads. I've been trying to find a good way of doing that without stretching... preferably without building the pieces over and over again and linking them together wink.gif
  • RussianKaliber
    updated with my resume smile.gif

Thanks again for advises all
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    RussianKalibur, you have some excellent works on your site. They're easy to navigate too. No crits from me smile.gif

notman, to get treads like that you would build one link and instance it along a closed curve, adjusting the numbers of instances to get the spacing just right. I don't know what package you use so I don't know the term for it, but you'll figure it out smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I might be retarded, but I didn't not see polycounts and texture specs readily available.

And if they are in there and I missed them... well, it should be retard proof!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    communist invasion! WATCH OUT!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    That's some kick ass work and I also liked the simple site design. Just add your model, texture specs used on each and your texture sheet, and put your name and contact info on each of your images. Very inspirational, I hope to see more!!!

Alex
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    another comrade ! I really like your work mate, keep it up smile.gif

ps: you need to organize your resume better
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Nice showcase, but I think you could put a little time into the "Market" ribbed roof. It seems so flat without any specular highlights for something metal that is bent. The sand bag texture could shaded more with creases and visible stiching seams to make it more realistic.

Another thing about the roof is that the build up of the rust would actually be on the bottom of the incline and in the crevasses. The white metal sheet under that roof part is way too clean in comparisson to the one next to it and the rust streaks do not seem natural.

I really love the weapons and its good to see you working on something different than fire arms.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    notman, to get treads like that you would build one link and instance it along a closed curve, adjusting the numbers of instances to get the spacing just right. I don't know what package you use so I don't know the term for it, but you'll figure it out smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm using 3ds Max. I've tried what you suggested, but for some reason my axis always gets borked :/ I'm obviously screwing something up then. I don't want to hi-jack this thread though... just curious if he used a different technique that I haven't tried smile.gif