Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me learn to paint Textures pleas? 2 [shell]

Maus
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Maus polycounter lvl 18
First I wanted to say
Thank you to every one that gave constructive criticism and links to texture painting tutorials on my first post, I really do respect your help, thank you.

Now to busyness
I made this because I am frustrated. So here is a shell (yes a naked shell, so get over it):
shell01renders.jpg

Here its UV lay outs and texture:
Shell01TexturUVs.jpg

If you have any suggestions or links to good texture painting tutorials, I could really use your help now?

Thank you so vary much

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Shell looks okay, but kinda' hard to read with all that detail.

As for tutorials, you know how to draw/paint, don't you? It's the exact same skill. Just paint.
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool. are those fully hand-painted textures, or are they bits from a reference photo? because if they're hand-painted, then it looks good to me and i'm afraid someone at my skill level probably doesn't have much to offer.
    otherwise, learning to texture entails 90% observing your references/real life and 10% picking up useful techniques from the old masters you'll find on the internet. at least that's what i've found. recently i've been painting in 'hard light' mode in photoshop; this means that lighter colors dodge up to white when painted on top of each other, dark ones burn down to black and midtones increase saturation. this means you can get a lot of color and value in your texture from a fairly small palette, which is handy.
    another good tip is to make a habbit of flattening the image every hour to force yourself to make progress; it's easy to get lost adjusting some small detail instead of moving on to the rest of the image. both of these little tricks are things i learned from folks here on polycount, and they work pretty well for me. there's people here who could teach you volumes more than i, but i thought i'd throw my chip in for what it's worth.

i hope we are more helpful in this incarnation of the thread, i'm terribly sorry about the last one. by the time i read it, it was already overrun. didn't think you'd still be watching it for helpful crits, so i opted not to post at all.

good luck with everything.

oh! one more thing. on this shell texture specifically, i would put some color variance in the spines that run around it, either on the spines themselves or as a ring around each of them. this would make them read from other angles; since you have a noisy texture to begin with, it's hard to see them anywhere but in the silhouette. just a little more mid-frequency detail. you've got loads of high-frequency detail though. as suprore said, perhaps a little much.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to polycount, for real. I'm not entirely sure what sort of tutorials you're looking for, but you can find some great general-purpose photoshop painting tutorials here that will help you if you're just trying to get more comfortable with digital art.
    http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery

There used to be quite a few texturing tutorials linked at the main page, but i'm not sure if anyone has those thinks anymore. They're all still on fileplanet somewhere i'm sure.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Bake a GI Lighting Map into the texture, to add shadowing to it. Otherwise its great.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think everything has been said, more color variation, and the shell needs some volume lighting in there so everything doesn't look the same. Looks nice.

Alex
  • kukk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    shell01texturuvsek9.jpg

Sorry, just had to post it. Nothing serious meant :P
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, this would have been hilarious with any of our regulars.
    HIL-ARE-I-OUS, i tell you.
    Maybe not so much with someone who was slagged of fur-real, and who is new.

Or have i just got a stick up my arse?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    no, pea, you're in the right.

Kukk don't be a dick.
  • hetsch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is funny, because kukk actually means dick in norwegian :P

Anyways, I'd have to agree with systmh, it's hard to read the model since it has no sense of depth imo.

I think poop has a tutorial over at his site which covers that.. http://www.poopinmymouth.com/
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just one thing I noticed wich isnt texture related, on you're model where the spikes intersect with the shell you could weld those vertexes, it just seems a bit of an unessesary waste of polys.
    nice work though.

shell01texturuvsnj7.jpg
  • kukk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Which is funny, because kukk actually means dick in norwegian :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep... it seems I never get away with it wink.gif
    (Though that's not the reason why I use this name)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    wow, good catch mike. I can't believe I missed that. I guess I didn't really pay attention to the model much.