Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st real model post / head model/ zbrush practice

DarkSquirrel
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
DarkSquirrel polycounter lvl 17
HI All,

I don't believe i've posted anything in a particularly long while, despite being a member for quite a few years. I'm currently working on a portfolio and with that i'm trying to learn new techniques and expand my skill base as quick as possible. I can handle lower polygon models with ease , but my experience with higher polies is limited. So i'm simulateneously tackling Z-brush while learning the ins and outs of higher polygonal modeling. I did a head model for practice, it is of no one in particular and I started with a lower polygon base and built my way up by using the subdivision functions inside of Zbrush.
wip_front_goodrender.jpg
wip_3quarters_goodrender.jpg
wip_profile_goodrender.jpg
wip_back_goodrender.jpg
wip_smile_goodrender.jpg

Crits are far more than welcome.

Well i started this model yesterday at about 1 o'clock so it took me a little while to put it together (finished it last night at about 12). Today i'm planning on fixing anything you kind critiquers see incredibly out of order (which i feel is a lot, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly when it's your own work) then i'll advance to modeling a full lower body to better get a grasp on zbrush.

My plan thus far for a portfolio (i would be applying for a character modeling postion, high or low) to have at least 5 fully developed characters of different style and setting. Fully textured, modeled, normal maps, the whole deal. I'm curious though as to what else people look for in a portfolio, should i include, say WIP's such as this, sketches, concept art, models of a non-character nature? Also it's felt that that would be neccesary what importance is placed on showing these extra items in your portfolio, so i know how best to alot my work time.

Replies

• Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    WAY too much noisy/bumpy skin detail. The actual planes of the face and features are too soft and lost underneath all that grain.
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed, that mans pours are disturbing.
  • DarkSquirrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    improve_front1.jpg
    improve_side1.jpg
    improve_back1.jpg

alright, i did go crazy on the bumps, hehe. I toned it down quite a bit and still should more i believe. I also fixed some of the proportions, the eyes, neck and added some more neccesary wrinkles.

I still don't think it's quite there, but i'll continue to work on it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    still way to harsh i like a lot of the shape of this piece, but the texture still comes off as plaster or something. dig some reasearch up
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low levels are way too lumpy/random. high levels just look bad. Work out your low levels until they hae some really nice form before you even think about going crazy with the skin detail stuff. Which really i wouldnt even suggest you do, you need way to many polys to pull it off right and its much better done as texture work. Skin noise detail is never going to make a bad model good, keep that in mind.
  • DarkSquirrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK fixed a lot this time through, i think i'm nearing the end of this as mostly it was meant to be practice, from which i learned a lot. Of course i still welcome all crits ^_^ I enjoy learning where my mistakes are. The comments thus far have helped quite a bit, thank you for your input.

-Tones down the bump A lot!

-appropriate wrinkles added

-fixed problematic anatomy

-proportions adjusted

-better lighting

near_final_front_poly.jpg

near_final_poly.jpg

near_final_3quarters_poly.jpg

near_final_back_poly.jpg

well all crits are certainly welcome!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I like your lighting.. the model, needs more ref smile.gif
    the skin folds look more like theres some funky bone ridges under the skin
  • DarkSquirrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh something like this rooster
    likethis.jpg

at least i think that is what you were talking about.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The jaw line near the ear juts out way too much for me.

As for the wrinkles under the eyes, the skin, it's all sweet! Good stuff, man.
  • DarkSquirrel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK Nogan something like this?

fixed_cheek_front.jpg

fixed_cheek_3quarters.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The major forms are overdefined. soften the jawline off a bit and perhaps post it without the funky lighting.
    really hard to tell what is going on in places

The skull seems to be full of weird ridges.
    The front of the face is taking shape nicely. You seem to have done the hard bits well and the easy bits badly:)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the cheeks seem to be too guant and the lumps / ridges on the forehead and under the chin look too symetrical and uniform. Also like they say the jaw line needs to be softened and I reckon that ridge coming off the eyebrow line makes him look a little inhuman too...maybe soften that a bit too. The back of his head is all a bit lumpy. Just some suggestions