Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Low Poly Character][dsmax]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sama.van polycounter lvl 14
Hello!
I'm looking for some critics on my work, then Pior (community member) showed me Polycount Community.
For presentation, I'm currently work in game compagny, but I don't practice lot 3D.
I use 3dsmax 5, and only basic fonctions like "extrude/cut" for modeling on "edit Mesh" mode.
On character there are 2x512x512 diffuse with 100% self illumination. Polycount is 2010 for character and 390 for weapon.

You can see original 2D character on this link :
http://pds.egloos.com/pds/1/200507/06/21/b0008721_0543628.jpg
Antiegoist is one Korean Artist, and I keep an eye on his work. ( http://antiegoist.egloos.com )

Thanks lot if you have some tips, or any critics on bads thing I maybe did (you can critic my english, I need to win some XP too...:D).
I actualy need to learn news color tips, then if you have some URL...

Thanks again,
sama.van

Last thing, tell me if I must minimize screen size... <_<.

sama.van_WIP_PunisherMaleVersion2_07_03_15_00.jpg
sama.van_WIP_PunisherMaleVersion2_07_03_15_01.jpg

And some random screens :
http://sama.van.free.fr/version4.0/3D/An...07_03_15_02.jpg
http://sama.van.free.fr/version4.0/3D/An...07_03_15_03.jpg
http://sama.van.free.fr/version4.0/3D/An...07_03_15_04.jpg

Personnal WIP page... If you want...
http://sama.van.free.fr/community/viewtopic.php?t=11

Replies

• EarthQuake
    oh cool, great first post. lovely style and texture wok.
  • tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    awesome character man, the 2d is much better than the 3d though...maybe the proportions are off a little.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    no room in the back of his head for a skull, its far too flat
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve...

Textures are ace but i'm not too big on the 3d.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The texture is looking nice, but it looks a little unfinished. I think it could use another layer of extreme highlights and deep shadows (just in a few spots, or with a very thin line width) to make the texture look perfect. Some cast shadows painted into the texture would be nice, for some areas like under the jacket on the torso and on the top of the pants under the straps.
  • allyx
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Ninja about the texture looking nice, but unfinished. The shading for the materials all over the texture looks the same except for the face. The face looks good, but the lighting doesn't match his exposed part of his torso. For example his jacket looks like its leather and the thing on his wrist is metal, but it looks the same the cloth on his pants.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    CRJ 2007-03-15 PON>TVX
    :P

I think the texture style is fine as is and does not necessarily needs even more highlights. However I agree about materials looking simimlar. Things like the pants could use sharper tone transitions in order to make them look less platicy and more like dry denim fabric.

About the face - I'm not too keen on the original facial features from the concept hence I like the fact that yours is a bit different. However there is some odd shading going on on your texture which makes the character look a bit young and sad. Tu peux poster un gros plan?

Very nice model, see you around the office!
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice model man, i thought you're chinese, great style.
  • zOffTy
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    coucou sama wink.gif
    I'll push a little bit more the contrast
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great job! Did I meet you while there in Paris last week? I really like the colors, and the design is top notch (even though it isn't yours). The flames on the legs are the best. Next model do a concept of your own as I'm anxious to see what you can come up with.

poop.gif
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks all for critics!

- poopinmymouth : Yes, it was me tongue.gif ! I don't have really personnal idea... Professional work drain all my dreams, then I only know I love some Asian Style. Then when people authorize me to use their draw, I can practice a little on great design. Then my next should maybe this one
    Last thing, your favorite was this one ? You said 4-6... (you maybe don't remember what i'm speaking about...)

- Sectaurs : You right!

- Ninjas : "a little unfinished" : ok, i'll try to do my best this last week end for add this hightlights and the deep shadows. same for torso details.

- allyx : Actually thinking for solution on color renderer problem.

- Pior : Thanks! For head I taked some screens for you! Don't hesitate to take your red pen... If you went looked at my gallery, you maybe seen I have some difficults on head...
    sama.van_WIP_PunisherMaleVersion2_07_03_16_01.jpg
    sama.van_WIP_PunisherMaleVersion2_07_03_16_02.jpg

And don't forget this morning "la r
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    Cool! Great work with alpha maps, I don't see that often.
    Most of all, I like the gun!
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    Oh... I noticed the eyes now. Why are they so flat? They could be a lot more eyeball-shaped...
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Lovely texture work, and the model looks pretty good. He's very flat when seen in profile though. He needs a little more curvature to his spine. I think you could pull out the shoulderblade area and his arse a bit more, and possibly the upper chest. Not too much, as he's not some uber, overly muscular guy, but a bit would help. I also agree that it needs some faked cast shadows on the texture, to help separate some of the forms a little.
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    As lot of critics, I added some shadows and hightlights on model.
    You can see diffuse on this *.gif.. sorry for gif compression frown.gif

sama.van_WIP_PunisherMaleVersion2_07_03_17_00.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    At first i thought it was a shame that the same colours didn't appear all over , and that there was such a clear seperation of colours, and now i can clearly see why.
    While ofcourse they're three different garments, the colours seem to clash, and i believe this may be due to things like them not having a unified shadow-colour, or highlights in the same colours etc...
    I can't possibly fault your painting-style, because it's very nice, but if at all possible i'd review your use of colour, and maybe get the saturation even on the entire model.
    One thing i like to do when i'm using multiple textures for one character is to paste all of them into one window, and work on them that way to get them to fit together.

Keep it up! You're obviously inspired by the asian style of rpg's and such, and you're making it your own.
  • daghen
    Offline / Send Message
    daghen polycounter lvl 18
    salut sama !

nice model and good work on texture ..to have seen some of your other model i have to say than your good for the asian scheme style character

keep it the good work !
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    Last post on this thread!
    I finish this model for now, next should be best!

Thanks all for critics, that help me lot on the end.
    Last url for final screens and difuse there

You can see 3D model too if you download this webPlayer first! (16 bit render)

this night I played last day for betaClosed of Granado Espada (singapour)...
    I love given work on this game, some screens on this links :
    http://sama.van.free.fr/GranadoEspada/07_03_19_Part_A.rar
    http://sama.van.free.fr/GranadoEspada/07_03_19_Part_B.rar
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    1y.jpg

sorry for the late-postage
    i think pea is correct about lack of unity in saturation. what i think is missing in your rendering is a cohesive light source. as it is, the patterns of lights and shadows seem somewhat arbitrary. my orange underlight serves more as a way to suggest to you how you could push the form. the lack of dark (drop) shadows and "finish" highlights, as was mentioned, is one aspect that is missing due to the lack of a clear light source.

while i didnt change your folds much in the paintover, i think the general structure of the folds could be improved. the front view of the pants doesn't seem to work very well to me.

so on your next model i'd suggest keeping a clear light source consistently effecting every part of the model, with drop-shadows and highlights reflecting it. as your light values tend to lose saturation with tint, try rendering with more color and less white.

this looks excellent, all in all. keep it up ^^
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    wow wow wow thanks! I already seen you post today at my compagny and try something like this on one NPC... And you right, that gives crazy render...
    \o/" Thanks!!