Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first character- displaced hunter/fighter

Well i thought I would start by posting the concept, its nothing fancy but it gives an idea of the style i am going for. i put it together from a drawing in my sketchbook quickly in Photoshop.

junglesketch.jpg
I am working on the base model right now, and having some trouble with what to do with edge loops on the head.
I will post some progress on the model probably tonight.

Replies

• seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    body.jpg

I made a head for this guy but i trashed it and decided to start over. i decided to shoot for around 2000 tris, the headless body is just over 1000.

does anyone know where i could find a tutorial head modeling med/low poly?.
    I am downloading some but its taking a while. I want to work on this some more tonight.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not much of a character modeler, but I know that for anything you do, you should watch out for detail!

Also, the character's 3 vertical lines down his spine aren't really needed if they're so close. You could put them together into 1 line until it reaches his pants. Some people might disagree with me on this, but I've been told that having quads and tris on a character isn't that bad.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, its my understanding to avoid using triangles wherever the model will deform heavily but its fine to use them. ill give it a shot taking those out, i guess the real test is when i try and rig the character.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah, its my understanding to avoid using triangles wherever the model will deform heavily but its fine to use them. ill give it a shot taking those out, i guess the real test is when i try and rig the character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind, anything low-poly/real-time is going to be tris in the end anyway, so there's really no such thing as 'avoiding triangles' tongue.gif
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, in understand that, what i meant was in during construction process. I know that before anything goes into the engine pipeline it is trianglulated.
  • dj snyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
    Nice! His chestal region looks kind of squarish though.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    do you watch naruto by any chance?
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dj snyder: yeah thanks man, now that you mention it i could work on the shaping of the chest a bit.

rooster: No, I am not really into Anime, he looks like something from that?

maybe his hat? I based it off of a Ushanka and i put a snow blind on the front of it that can flip down to give him some primitive sunlasses. Maybe its the big sword sheath?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    oh not really- the sword just reminded me of one of the characters swords is all smile.gif
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head.jpg
    body2.jpg

i am closer to having this model done now. i Think i will paint the texture for the most part but I found some good references as well. there are a few things that still bug me about it, mostly the feet. I Also keep on changing the face.

He is at 2000 triangles right now, I dont want to add much more geometry if any. Im not sure if normal mapping would be the way to go with this character. If any one has any critiques or suggestions i would be happy to hear them.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Sean!

Model's looking pretty good, but you know me, I always find something wrong ;D

First thing that struck me was how flat the guy is, his chest and abs need to stick out a bit more, even if he is skinny, his shorts also seem to be baggier in your concept. You can also remove two edge rows running down the center of his chest as they're not doing anything for his silhouette, also you can move the two edge rows, running along the center one on his back, outwards towards his arms and use them to define his back a bit more without adding geometry. If you could post a side shot I can do a paint over if you'd like.

edit: I just noticed that you may also want to have that edge row running across his butt continue all the way across his pelvis, it will help with deformation.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Julius,
    Thank you very much for the Critiques. I will work on these ASAP

i think i can understand how to fix his profile, it just needs to have a more dramitic shape to it. I make the mistake of modeling in perspective too much, but looking at it directly from the side certainly shows it needs work. i will find a different way to structure the shape of his pectoral muscles and i didn't think about running the lines on his back that way but it certainly makes sense.

here is an image of his profile as is, ill work on it and then see if it matches up to what you have in mind.

side.jpg
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Sean,

I think the tpose is a little stiff. Just like you might not place the arms on a direct 90 degree angle relative to his body for deformation purposes, this guy might end up having some animation problems with such a stiff neutral pose.

construct.jpg

Specifically, things like the knees might go nuts when trying to rig him for IK.

His pelvis looks like it's been pinched near the thighs, and some of the edgeflow throughout the model looks kinda messy. Particularly on the ankles and on the middle torso. Straighten some of those loops out so you can get the most out of them in the silhouette. Varying heights on your defining areas could end up looking strange.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi James,
    thanks for the critique, Ill work on it to make sure i fix some of the errors. Im sure my next model will reflect progress and be better. I find that i can achieve more shape by not having the horizontal loops just go horizontal in some areas. I am not entirely sure if that is correct or incorrect. i am going to shape his overall posture so that he looks more dynamic.
    some things are a little hard to get the volume and shape that i want by having them go straight horizontal, i have tried to keep them uniform and horizontal in areas such as the knees and elbows ect that will have to bend.

on areas like his calves i have tended to try and get the shape by turning the geometry off axis. i decided to keep a pretty limited polycount so it has been a challenge for me to try and get some shape of muscle groups in there without compromising his ability to animate.

I am however pretty inexperienced with this so i am sure i will see once i rig the character if it deforms. I do certainly agree abut you point about his ankles and feet, im probably get around to fixing this on Monday when i get back.