Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

little ol gas station

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
patchs polycounter lvl 11
Doing a little ol gas station. Could use some crits on it.

Replies

• tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    looks fanstastic, maybe post some wires.??
  • patchs
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah smilegif

Some stuff needs cleaning up on that.

• Carl Brannstrom
    Lol

I thought it was a reference photo

awsome.
  • Nogan
    freakin' awesome texturing job, mate!

My only concern is that the poly count on those barrels, fence, and tiny rocks in the background are too high if they're only going to stay in the background.

Other than that, good job!
  • seankaremaker
    The only criticism i have is that the background looks odd to me.maybe try lowering it down so the horizon line isn't so high. It could be that the dirt advancing towards the camera is too blurry when it is up close.

all in all though great work.
  • mikebart
    nice one, can we see a few more shots like closeups on some of those awesome models you've got there?
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    honestly, the background is ruining it imo. I thought you'd just found some pic on Google Images and stuck it back there at first. . . dunno if it's the perspective or the lighting, but something doesn't jive with the foreground. Otherwise it's fantastic!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I thought the background was some lo-res texture on a plane. DOF not setup right?
    Aside from that, looks fucking great!

-caseyjones
  • The_Synj
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    The station looks like next-gen game enviroments should! But yeah, that background looks like you just out a picture on a plane, fix that up a bit. 10/10 otherwise, great work, deserves to be in a profile.
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Where are you located, and are you looking for a job? also, do you know 3dsmax?
  • Savage
    How many tpages did you use and sizes?
    damn impressive mate.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Looks great so far, I really like the little debris you've modeled.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on man this is great. Would like to see more angles... and some flats if you've got them.

Also - what was your reference?
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks to high poly for realtime, and too low poly for cinematic
  • chinups
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice, i agree though, somthing has to be done with the background.
  • RussianKaliber
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey hawken, I would have to disagree with you on this one.

SO what is ok for next gen polygons, lets say for a tunnel style FPS?
  • StJoris
    This looks amazing! Only crit is some tiny tubes could do with less polys
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    this does look very very awesome.

I think as has been said some optermisation could be done.
    The tubes as StJoris said could be optermised.
    I also think the Barrels and the fence have an unessarily high poly density in them. Optermise them.

Aprt from that kick arse work dude.

John
  • EarthQuake
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definately not the case. It may be too high poly for 5 years ago, but this is easily rendered in any modern engine. Texture memory and draw calls are the big performance killers these days, 10,000 or so polys isnt going to really be noticable at all. Environments are very cheap to render, they dont need to be skined or animated and thats really what kills your performance as far as characters go, transforming all the verts.
  • patchs
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the comments. laugh.gif

Some stuff like the barrels are a tad high but wanted those to look super duper smooth for when I rendered it. If I was to take this into a game I would really knock a bunch of that down.

Changed the sky a bit. There was a little DOF that was blurring the sky out.

Gas10f.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey hawken, I would have to disagree with you on this one.

SO what is ok for next gen polygons, lets say for a tunnel style FPS?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you can save polys, you should, because you can use those freed polys to make other things. If he shaved 80-100 polys out of those barrels he could have A LOT of transparency mapped dead grass and weeds, more rocks and more clutter. I don't see the point in saying a 2k poly barrel is ok when that means the rest of the scene will lack detail.

Why blow your whole poly budget on a barrel when you don't have to? Next gen poly limits do not mean everyone gets to make 200k toothbrushes if the rest of the bathroom is devoid of detail. However you do bump into time constraints, if it will take you a day to optimize the scene and that is time you don't have, let 'er go as is. Since this is looks like its a just for fun project, I wouldn't touch the barrels.

Looks great, I love the detail you put into the pumps, really amazing work. =)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    For this type of scene alone i wouldnt think that 2k polys barrel would be problem, althou i agree with what you say .
  • dj snyder
    Offline / Send Message
    dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
    Very cool. The background doesn't actually bother me, but there's something about the boarded windows on the right that I don't quite buy for some reason, I don't know if it's because they're stacked so thick or because of the textures or what, but it looks kind of odd.
  • EarthQuake
    the barrels are really the only thing in the scene that screams out as wasteful, hardly enough to say that it is anywhere close to too highres to run in a game. but yeah, the barrels are a bit excessive.
  • Mark Dygert
    I think there are quite a few things that would need to be optimized if this was game art, since its not, we can all shut up, unless of course its effecting his render times which I bet its not =P

Things to add to the list of optimization:
    Fence boards
    Hanging light sockets
    Cords going to and from the overhead lights
    Siding on the building (add a piece of trim on the edges and use a 4 board texture, alternate the UV's on each board to break up the tile)
    Beveled edges on most of the broken concrete
    Telephone Pole
    Wire receiver on the roof
    Water spout by the garage
    Window boards ("could" be done with single planes, at the bare min the backsides could be deleted)

I don't mean to bash the work, just pointing out there could be a lot more waste that would cause the scene to chug.
  • erik!
    I think Vig pretty much nailed it as far as optimization goes. What's holding those boards up? Are they nailed, screwed, glued or what? Can't really tell from your render. Maybe the camera is too far away, but right now the boards look like they're magically stuck together. It's just nitpicking really. Also, what's your lighting setup like? I suspect a directional light of some sort, but I'd be interestid to know what else you've got in there. Keep rockin'.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    agree with optimisation stuff- fantastic lighting though and very nice textures

if those were nailed (and I would assume so) you'd have to be a hell of a lot closer to see.. are you expecting massive tent pegs tongue.gif
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    Looks sweet man, nice job cool.gif
  • patchs
    Offline / Send Message
    Shouldn't take long to lower those at all. Keeped the modifier stack on most of those higher poly objects. Was going to plop it into roboblitz after seeing a hotel someone on here was putting in it that looked neat. Once i get some free time. The plywood on the windows are being held up by super glue too.

Vig you missed the mesh smoothed rebar smile.gif

Using Vray as the renderer. Just have a direction light in there and a lightprobe I shot in the desert for the skylight
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why blow your whole poly budget on a barrel when you don't have to? Next gen poly limits do not mean everyone gets to make 200k toothbrushes if the rest of the bathroom is devoid of detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm a bit blunt but this is the point I'm trying to make. Next gen doesn't mean we can all get sloppy, EVERYTHING should be optimized ALL the time.

Sterling work btw, I too thought it may be a photo on first look.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great... My only comments would be to agree with Hawken and Vig as well as add;

the hanging rod confused me... it reads as a support beam at first glance... but upon further examination is clearly just a broken hangy poll... i would suggest reataching it or lieing it on the ground or something... it draws too much attention to itself and looks like a floating support beam. IMO

also it's confusing to me why you would board up a wood wall... i would probably do something to make it look like you were clearly boaring up glass windows... the amount of wood you have seems excessive... boarding a window is designed to either keep peoeple out or protect the glass... it doesn't look like anyone would care too much about the glass and that much would wouldn't be needed to keep tings out.

the garage doors seem strange to me.. first because they're both the same materials just one is smaller... not uncommon but it looks strange to me... I would expect to see either a different material for the door... a regular door or no door there... the doors don't look like they would open either... and my last ocmment about the door (i promise) why would you nail criss crossing boards to the front of a garage door half-way down it? if the intent is to stop the garage door without using a pad-lock... i'd think they'd want to nail the boards to the top of the garage door to keep it from sliding up seeing as though the door can't really slide to the side.

The background does look like a lowres photo... but in a way that's kind of a complemint smile.gif... it doesn't work well with the scene however... neither does the composition of the background really.. i'd suggest removing the mountain and the hill and doing something with the sky backdrop that makes the clouds look more ineresting as a quicky fix.

P.S. I only comment because i like your work. Good job! This is one of the first env pieces i've seen on polycount that has made me say.. "wow, dat's coo"
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    ITs cool stuff. I also though that the first post is a reference, haha.
    And yes, a little too much poli IMO is in there. Otherwise is great.