Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skaven- blender sculpt practise

Hi there. Just learning blender and try to improve sculpt skills. Something about 2 hours of fun smile.gif C&C welcome
skavendt2.jpg

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, HELL yes! grin.gif I've played around with the new sculpt tools a little bit. But what you've done is incredible! What kind of rig did you produce this on? Is it chugging terribly, or is it handling the higher polycounts decently? When I'm up around level 5 or 6 on the Multi-res, the viewports start to chug, but the actual painting still performs acceptably.

As to your model itself, I really like where it's going. You seem to be handling the seams especially well. The overall design of the model looks like a cross between a rodent, a bat, and a wolf. At this stage of its development, I can't really think of any criticisms. It looks like you know exactly what you're doing.
  • madman
    hehe thanx smile.gif this screenshots are from 4th level (225 k faces) of multi-res, i added some details on level 5 (1mln), but blender crushed ;/ but there is nothing to grumble- its free and sometimes i working on meshes more than 1,5mln and there is no problem- just bad luck.
    about the design- this is totally freestyle, i just subdivided box and try to have a lot of fun wink.gif
    cheers
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work, and a good way to show the Zbrush & Mudbox snobs on this messageboard that Blender is up to the task tongue.gif

It shows that you started with a box though, the ears really have a poly-density that it too low compared to the rest. I guess you should have either "retopo"ed the mesh somewhat earlier or given it more thought before starting to sculpt wink.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow i didn't know blender could do mudbox like scultping smile.gif. Thanks for showing your progress.
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Woohoo Madman strikes back wink.gif
    Sweetness wink.gif Keep it up lazy bones smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow, that looks impressive. I may have to try blender my self
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very nice model and also very nice demo of the new tools!

Would it be possible to have a very short intro to Blender's sculpting options? I've tried the app several times but always gave up for whatever reason. It would be nice to know the very basics needed to, say, create a box, navigate the viewport and sculpt/increase subd levels.

Cheers!
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
    Not about sculpting so far I am afraid, but it should give you a start for the more general things.

Concerning sculpting: It is really as easy as it gets. Create a box/quick outline/what ever with the regular tools, them apply a multires modifier (press the add multires button, and add levels of subd.) and switch to sculpt mode (there is a place where it should say object mode and other modes can be selected). If you do so there are two new tabs at the place where the mulires button was which are pretty selfexplanationary smile.gif

Oh and in Blender you select things with the right mouse button, and pressing the spacebar opens a onscreen menu.

I hope that helps.
  • Michael Knubben
    Pior: position your mouse-cursor over the top edge of the viewport (ie. bottom edge of file/edit/etc... thing) and drag down. There are options there to set select to LMB instead of RMB, turn on pottery-wheel rotation, rather than trackball (sickening!), which both help a lot for getting into it. Beyond that, i can't help you.
    Prepare to get frustrated, i guess.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah talk about a stupid way to hide the preferences confused.gif And you are right on with the trackball thing, forgot to mention it.
    But other than that Blender really isn't as bad as some people say it is wink.gif
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for the info you all. I started to download bits of info here and there... I always really wanted to give that app a go but it always ended with frustration because of the docs I didnt have. Time for a change!
  • Michael Knubben
    jkm: it could do with an interface that was rebuilt from scratch by people who... um, just makes that 'people, full stop'.
    The file manager is another one of those oddball things. What is it again, mmb to open something, doubleclick does nothing, etc..?
    It's been a while, but that's the way i remember it being. I get the whole 'not wanting to rely on one OS' way of doing it', but which os works like that? Windows doesn't, Mac doesn't, and no version of linux that i've tried does.
    I'll admit that the only reason i care is that i really, really want to like Blender. I read blendernation, and i try every new build, but the workflow and interface tend to ruin my enthousiasm for the tools.

On paper Blender easily competes with max,maya and xsi, but in reality, not so much. Pior: i have a blender-manual (paper) that i could send you sometime, if you're really getting into it. Allthough it's the older one, and i think you can even get that in a pdf now.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    As a longtime user of blender, I have come to experience that blender has lots of strong and weak sides.

The scuplting tool has lots of great tools, and it's as simple to use as mudbox, HOWever, Blender can only push a very small amount of polygons compared to mudbox and zbrush, so it makes it hard to use it for what it is there for.

ps. I'm also always hoping for a change of mind with the interface.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I tried sculpting in blender and was surprised at how good it was. There were a few minor problems 1. the camera sucked 2. once I was finished sculpting I couldnt figure out how to do anything else in blender...I couldnt even figure out how to select a polygon...now thats some bad interface design. It would be great if it was designed better.
  • Jarrod1937
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    is it just me or do images randomly disappear on these forums? an image i posted worked for me, then an hour ater i can't see it in the topic, now madman's image is gone too.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at least there is some light at the horizon for both the interface and the performance issues while sculpting. The former will be better in the next version because it will feature customisable controls, and there is some talk about changeing the interface at least somewhat. The latter will probably be fixed by this years google summer of code.
  • Vylaroth
    [ QUOTE ]
    HOWever, Blender can only push a very small amount of polygons compared to mudbox and zbrush, so it makes it hard to use it for what it is there for.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Windows that is. I've heard people achieve 4-7 M polygons when running Blender on Linux.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    HOWever, Blender can only push a very small amount of polygons compared to mudbox and zbrush, so it makes it hard to use it for what it is there for.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Windows that is. I've heard people achieve 4-7 M polygons when running Blender on Linux.

[/ QUOTE ]

On what hardware?, doing what?, in what framerate?, it has to be workable, sure, I can subdivide the mesh up to that amount, but It's not in any way possible to work in such a horrible update-rate.

I won't compare blender with mudbox though, since the latter is a special-built tool, something that blender wont ever be or come near, or wants to be.
  • Vylaroth
    I'm not aware of all the details (I'm not installing Linux until Ubuntustudio is released) but at least maqs can work at same amount of polies in Linux with 256 MB that I can get in Windows with 2 GB of Kingston HyperX 400 MHz.
    Linkey

Haven't tried LetterRip's suggested tricks though, I might get a bit higher too.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a little something that I've been working on in Blender. This is actually my first sculpted piece, as I've never gotten my hands on any other poly-sculpt software.

head1.jpg

The overall model is upwards of 800,000 triangles. At that level, the system starts to chug a little bit. (enough to be noticeable, and a little annoying) I'm using a Pentium 3.2 GHZ processor, 2 GigaBytes of Ram, and a Radeon X600 3D card. Running under Windows XP. I have a PowerMac G5 at home, I'll try to run it on that later.

Overall, I've been pretty pleased with Blender's new sculpting tools. It's true that it can't really push the number of polys that Mudbox or ZBrush sport. But its still quite capable, and can even be used for shaping low-poly models as well as high poly. (being able to push and pull verticies instead of moving them individually is a big time saver)