Home General Discussion

Im a Noob to Forums

Hi guys,
This is my first ever post on a forum and was introduced to Polycount through Jesse Moody and Don Ott. I heard that there are a lot of cool people on here and a great opportunity to get good crits on my work. I am about to finish school at A.I. San Diego and have a lot of schoolwork left to do so that I can get my grades and graduate so whatever crits I get from you please dont be offended if I dont implement them immediatley seeing as I have school projects. I'm looking to get into the industry as a 3D prop artist and make some new friends on polycount.
Let me know if you'll be at GDC and maybe I could pick your brain!
So if you have the time PLEASE go to my website and tell me what you honestly think I should do to eventually get a position as a prop artist in the game industry! Thanks guys. Later. Judd Roy website

Replies

• Grey
    Oh yeah, sorry forgot to mention that I dont have a demo reel up yet, sorry about that. Thanks.
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome aboard dude....most people post website pimps over here:
    http://boards.polycount.net/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=2
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    welcome smile.gif pleased to meet you.

Looking at your website, it seems like alot of your normal maps were created used the nvidia filter (i could be wrong). I would demonstrate that you know how to model high and bake the normals to the low model. Also, your textures thumbnails are tiny, I would like to see them a bit bigger to see your texturing skills.
  • Grey
    Thanks alot Lee3dee. I will make those changes as soon as I am able. And you were right, I used the nvidia filter on some and crazybump on others. I will bake the higher onto a lower, on the next prop I make. Thanks again Lee3dee for taking the time to help me out.Have a good one.
  • Grey
    Oops, thanks gavku. What can I say...what a noob I am! ha.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    you're here because of me i am the coolest person on the forum look at my large amount of cool points of cooly cool (HINT: IT'S THE NUMBER NEXT TO "Posts: ")
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome. You seem to be off to a decent start. Your avatar is especially nice for a noob. I don't think you'll have any problems here. The guys around here are very good about lending quality advice. Just remember the basic manners that apply to any message board.

1. Don't start too many threads. This is a classic noob mistake. They get on the boards, and become drunk on their ability to create new topics. Nine times out of ten, the topic you want to start has already been created. Look first. It's always better to post in someone elses already created topic, than to start a new one of your own.

2. Language. Keep it clean. Most people consider it alright to drop a little "french" here and there. But don't go overboard, and never direct profanity at other forum members. That's sure to offend sooner or later.

3. Watch the spam. If you aren't getting the attention you think you deserve, don't constantly spam in an attempt to get a response. If you post compelling content, someone is going to have something to say about it. If you provide new content within a thread bump, no one will complain. Fresh content (screenshots, model progress, new UV map, etc...) is considered justification for a thread bump, and no one will get upset so long as you are making progress.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    hah! Welcome to the forum bro...

While I don't post nearly as much as I should, I still troll this place daily. One of these days I might dish out something worth listening to!
  • Grey
    Thanks for the tips Kain, I appretiate it. Never done forums before, and after reading your post they make a lot of sense. Have a good one man.

HI DON, good thanks for showing me polycount. See ya tomorrow.