Home General Discussion

the earth is growing?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI&mode=related&search

Sounds cool, but it also makes me think that we got hit by a big ass comet 70 million years ago that was mostly water. Where else would all this water have been before hand? A comet would also explain the sudden groth, as the comet would have its own mass that would be melted down and added into the core. Thing that bothers me about that is well wouldn't that be a end of all life thing then not just most life?

Either way i'm all for running a comet into mars, how about you!? Id love for mars to be green and blue a thousand years from now.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I don't think the Martians would appreciate it much! smile.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    First impression: "omyLOL"
    Second thought: "Continents starting out as one big one (Pangea theory) isn't new, but expanding planet? olol"
    Third: "But Earth's core is mostly molten iron, and things contract as they cool. Silly kids."
    Fourth: "Hawaii came to be by magma spilling through the crust..."
    Fifth: "Matter is constant and all that. Combined with contraction on cooling and you can't really get more space from a hot core. Rubbish."

3 minutes into it, but that was still way too involved. Fun though, thanks for the link TGZ smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Third: But Earth's core is mostly molten iron, and things contract as they cool. Silly kids."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not that it lends any credibility to this guy's theory, but I'd just like to point out that not everything contracts as it cools... ever left a beverage in the freezer? Water actually expands and becomes less dense when cooled, which why ice floats (one of the many "magical" properities of H2O that makes life as we know it possible).
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    This is true. In fact, don't freeze soda unless you like cleaning freezers.

I don't know much about this stuff, but does magma and iron contract when cooled? Any smiths around here?
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    pretty convincing...
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    "[The scientists] know, but aren't telling you, that ..."

I haven't gotten further than this, and the statement may turn out to be explained in a completely reasonable way, but I just have to say really quick and vulnerable-like, that whenever someone says something like this ... it's a struggle not to tune out what follows!

"Conspiracy of silence"? Why the devil would anyone consider this so controversial as to hush it up? Does anyone's personal fortune depend on the acceptance of Pangea? Is there some geology textbook magnate, sitting atop a mountain of Pangea-extolling tomes at $65 each, lining the pockets of noted scientists in hopes of getting them to keep shtum about this scandalous proposition? I mean really.

OK, now I'll finish watching the video. But I'll be grimacing a bit.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    thats what bugs me at the same time. Scientists like breaking new ground, Thats what they do.and in fact it will line their pockets in some way if they do.

And

"That would change everything in science, from the smallest particle to the whole universe"

HOW SO?
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, I love his implication at the end, that you either believe what he's proposing, or you must be a geocentricist. Dude ..!

OK, it's an entertaining idea, but I'm more inclined to see this as science fiction inspired by an interesting coincidence, than the idea that a guy who presents his findings through the filter of the Crackpot Style Guide, has come up with a truth just too offensive for modern scientists to contemplate!!!!!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

"Conspiracy of silence"? Why the devil would anyone consider this so controversial as to hush it up?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would suspect it's the same minded people like the church just a couple blocks from campus whose sign read "The Flat Earth Society" a couple of weeks ago... confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is true. In fact, don't freeze soda unless you like cleaning freezers.

I don't know much about this stuff, but does magma and iron contract when cooled? Any smiths around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it definitely contracts when cooled... I just wanted to add that little aside about water because water is f'ing cool!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    All i'm saying is, throwing a comet at mars would be sweet to see!

As a kid this totally would have made sense to me, because as a kid i wouldn't think about all the water on earth and where was that when the world was small?

Truth is there is a very good reason that the land we stand on is old as fuck and the sea floor isn't, its because it is being pushed under ours. As to why the land stays up and isn't going under is simple, thickness were thicker and stronger so it hits and moves under and melts again. Why the Pacific is bigger than the Atlantic, my guess is again a comet hit earth on that side a very long ass time ago it explains why all the old land is on the other side, if something with a lot of mass hit earth it would melt a section of the other half and push out the other side. A comet would give us more water and might just have been where life first came from.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I have always believed this and even brought it up with my Geology teacher in class when I was 13 years old.

it makes perfect sense.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Hrmm.

First, let me point some things out. I've seen that map with core samples that points out the various ages of rock types around the world. He gets the dates assigned to the colors completely wrong. If he is a real scientist, I question how he got wrong one of the most common maps in Geology.

I had trouble even following his point. I don't get what his argument is against the Pangea theory? He keeps saying you can't have subduction? I don't even get what he's trying to say. It sounded like he threw out a bunch of terms in an attempt to overwhelm people.

Also, why in the hell would scientists shove this theory aside as a conspiracy? Many scientists have hypothesized that the Earth may be expanding, but there hasn't been enough evidence to even call it a theory. He says that the expanding earth theory would destroy the foundation of science. How the fuck would that happen?!

He kept saying you can't have spreading and subduction. Of course you can! That's EXACTLY what happens with the tectonic plates. You have divergent boundaries, convergent boundaries, and transform boundaries. The plates split apart and spread away from each other at the divergent boundaries, but then somewhere across the world on the other side of the plate there is a convergent boundary where one of the colliding plates rises up and the other is subducted into the upper most part of the mantle to be recycled back into the lithosphere. Heated rock in the mantle creates convection that drives the process of the moving plates. The heat drives the plates together, and drives the recycled rock down to where it will be metamorphisized. The earth's crust and uppermost mantle rest on the very hot mantle that isn't fluid, but it is very ductile so it allows the crust to slide around. Since continental crust is thinner in density than oceanic crust, it rises on top. This all explains exactly how the continents move around. I don't understand where the problem is? There are mountains of evidence to support this.

Maybe I'm missing something from the video, I'll watch it again later. For now though, it seems like a bunch of crap smile.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    While I can believe the possibility of an increased size over time due to a loss of density (Volcanic residue is actually very light and spongelike and still hurts like hell when your ten-year-old older brother pelts you with it), what makes me doubtful is the way it's presented: With no motive for a coverup and spending the whole ten minutes showing one meaningless video over and over (I can make a square blend into a circle, does that mean they're the same?)-- how much time is spent explaining his real accusations (that plate tectonics as we know it is for some reason impossible and wrong)? None. Which is how much I believe it. Seven years old too, guess most people agreed ;P
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Asthane: there isn't really any loss of density with volcanic residue. The composition of magma is determined by which intrusive rocks were melted. If the magma makes it out into the open it becomes lava and the only difference is that the rock will cool faster, not allowing for crystals to form so that the texture is finer. It is still the same exact composition as the rocks that were melted to make it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    He says that the expanding earth theory would destroy the foundation of science. How the fuck would that happen?!

Well, it violates quite a few fundamental laws of physics so of course it would destroy the foundation of science if accepted. Just like a perpetuum mobile would. However, the foundation of science is pretty well tested and there's a really high chance that if your theory would destroy it, it's your theory that gets destroyed by people who don't make the same mistakes you do.

Also water expands when cooling because of its polarized structure, it has quite a few unusual behaviours because of that shape (e.g. surface tension). Few substances behave like that and an iron core wouldn't exhibit the same behaviours.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

"Conspiracy of silence"? Why the devil would anyone consider this so controversial as to hush it up? Does anyone's personal fortune depend on the acceptance of Pangea? Is there some geology textbook magnate, sitting atop a mountain of Pangea-extolling tomes at $65 each, lining the pockets of noted scientists in hopes of getting them to keep shtum about this scandalous proposition? I mean really.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think this theory is complete rubbish, and all the things he mentions can be perfectly explained by tectonics, I do have to say something about the scientific community (which I guess I am a part of).

Most scientific knowlegde is accumulated over time and thus there is usually a broad agreement in the scientific community once a certain step of knowledge is achieved.
    But if you propose something that is not in the main line of current research it will most likely destroy your reputation in the usually very small scientific community in that particulary field ("every one knows every one" world wide today), and that will very likely cost you your job or at least a lot of money/future job opportunities.
    The history if full of examples from scientists who did that and had to fight often decades before their theory was actually broadly accepted, and they often lived a very humble life compared to those getting all the research money/good jobs even though they were wrong.
    So yes there is a strong monetary incentive to stay "mainstream" in science.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    everything is growing hence all the giant trucks and SUVs and fat people everywhere... or maybe its just texas...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    everything is growing hence all the giant trucks and SUVs and fat people everywhere... or maybe its just texas...

[/ QUOTE ]

no... it's pretty much everywhere in the usa now O_O :\
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    maybe the center of the planet is filled with coke. space is cold, and as people have mentioned, soda in freezers explode! Space *is* cold, right?!?!

I think we're all missing the *real* point here. The planet is going to explode, and someone is going to have to clean up the mess.

or maybe, when the planet expands, its going to pull the moon into us, and from our mess, create a new, and more powerful galaxy of mountain dew-a-cola-epsi-fago-monster-madness-machines!!! yah!!!!!!!

ok, going to watch the video now.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My god, I have never seen so many Humvees in my life since moving here. Humvees in Texas are like Toyota Prius's in Portland.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

i would suspect it's the same minded people like the church just a couple blocks from campus whose sign read "The Flat Earth Society" a couple of weeks ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

Were they singing this?:

flat earth society is meeting here today,
    singing happy little lies
    and the bright ship humana is sent far away
    with grave determination... and no destination
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's mostly texas tongue.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]

Were they singing this?:

[/ QUOTE ]

/applaud

that full moon is rising, for sure.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Were they singing this?:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wuv you.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    maybe the center of the planet is filled with coke. space is cold, and as people have mentioned, soda in freezers explode! Space *is* cold, right?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

So Dr. Evil is threatening to throw some Menthos into a volcano?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [quote
    Were they singing this?:

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... you expect me to step inside such a place as one to display that phrase.. silly kub, churches are not for snemmys tongue.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Were they singing this?:

[/ QUOTE ]

Shit, now I gotta dig out the Bad Religion CDs.