Home General Discussion

Why hasn't this been mentioned yet? Blender 2.43

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/

Now with many great new features: Zbrush/Mudbox like sculpting, Re-topo, Multi-res mesh and much more.

Has this messageboard become a cat posting chat board or what???

tongue.gif

Replies

• rooster
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, why didn't it show up in the search I made???

I smell a conspiracy to discredit me!!!!

Anyways it deserves a second thread tongue.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by default, the search function only searchs for threads that are newer than 1 week old. You have to remember to change the date range, which I think 99% of people forget to do (I usually forget, which is annoying because the delay before you can do another search is sooooo long).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You need to search for cats.

-caseyjones
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using the latest version for about a week. It kicks ass! The UV unwrapping is better than ever. (a very important feature for in-game modeling) The new sculpting tool is surprisingly robust. It probably won't win over any regular users of ZBrush or Mudbox, but its fantastic for anyone who already uses Blender. Scratch that, it might win over some ZBrush users. (its way easier to use than ZBrush, and its undo features are much better) For anyone looking to add some quick normal mapping to a game model, it is almost ideal. In conjunction with the multi-res tool (another very useful addition) it is very easy to create a high-poly model for normal mapping. I haven't tried the retop tool yet, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness. The texture baking kicks ass. It's true that it can't do tangent-vectored normal maps yet. But it does Blender's version of normal maps just fine, as well as other various useful maps. Most importantly of all, it can do a total map that represents all of the materials applied to a model. This provides a great way to bake the normal map, procedural textures, lighting, and various effect maps like specular and bump mapping into a single UV texture. A great feature for anyone who's better at playing with material settings than they are at painting custom textures.

Overall, the additions to this latest Blender release are quite impressive. Blender is an acquired taste. Those not familiar with it often have trouble getting into it. But it's feature list keeps getting better and better, and this really shows with version 2.43. Blender fans are going to absolutely salivate over the improvements made this time around.