Home General Discussion

digital graffiti

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/20/graffiti-research-labs-l-a-s-e-r-tag/

Very cool idea, id love to see normal building put up projectors and use blank sides of buildings as big adverts.

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    fckin awesome idea... but of all the things to say after seeing that, you'd love to see that used for advertising?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the first thing that came to mine was playing an RTS but you can make money off that...

For a very short time one of the buildings in spokane would play movies on its side. It got shut don because it didn't have the rights to do so. But i hate billboards because they take up space and this could play commercials using the space thats already there and is unused.

I'd love to see a game played by four players each on there own side of the building. But that would hurt after a bit of playing.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uhhh, I don't even want to know what such a high powered projector costs, and how often you have to change the lightbulb in it.

Besides that it is pretty cool wink.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    green lasers = terrorists
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JK well more than likely its only around 2k for the projector and 200 per bulb and using it at night every night would mean a new bulb about every other month, so about 1.2k a year to keep it going.

Thats not bad at all if it was for ad's and you were selling your ad space for like 2k a month for a 15 second ad played every 1-5 min. You could be make a shit load of cash that way. Even if you had to replace the bulbs faster you would still be making way more than the running cost in just one add.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    JK well more than likely its only around 2k for the projector and 200 per bulb and using it at night every night would mean a new bulb about every other month, so about 1.2k a year to keep it going.

Thats not bad at all if it was for ad's and you were selling your ad space for like 2k a month for a 15 second ad played every 1-5 min. You could be make a shit load of cash that way. Even if you had to replace the bulbs faster you would still be making way more than the running cost in just one add.

[/ QUOTE ]
    most projector lamps last on average of 2000, and there are projector models with lamps that last 4,000-5,000 hours. so at the most using everynight for a year (365) and running it for 8 hours a night means 2,920 hours. so only one lamp per year at that rate if you get a good projector. a good business class projector with 2,500 lumens or more would suffice i'd say, depending on the weather, distance, and size i guess.
    my projector can pumpout a good, birght image at 170 inchs at night time with 1,000 lumens.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case that would make a shit load more money than i said.

I really am amazed that someone hasn't already used something like this to play games on it, think about playing wii sports or gears or war on a building! 1080p at 100 ft tall FTW!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty sweet, they got the laser to read really well and the projection works awesome.
    So many possibilities!
    But yeah, gaming on the side of a building would be pretty rad. Just go down to a drive-in theater or something and use that huge ass screen. Atleast you won't have windows to interfere with the image.

-caseyjones
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here in America drive-in's don't exist anymore cool as they were, something about people just walking near it to watch movies. But we have plenty of white flat building sides in most all city's.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, they still do, just not as common anymore. They've actually been making a small comeback.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Actually TGZ, there's one not too far from Kirkland.

And also the projector that they used is about $5778.22, with a lense.