Home General Discussion

Truth in Video Game Rating Act

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=4115

The idea is simple and makes sense but one thing that erks me, DVD's don't have to be re-reviewed when they add scenes not shown in theaters and don't have to change the rating on the case to reflect whats now inside. So then why would game devs have to show them everything that they might or might not put in the game. Also if they asked the ESRB to play all threw a game and find every little part of it that would take weeks to review just one game so games would be back loged for months before they could come out.

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    This is why the RSAC owned while it existed. They played through the games and didn't give age ratings.

Hell, they've even marked Quake for having profanity because of the word "asshole" in the manual. How thorough laugh.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i guess everything is geting corporate and cold reviews.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wheres Larry Flint when you need him...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Well, he won't have my vote...

A side note: gametrailers employed the Angry Video Game Nerd?!? Stupid move.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thinking that'd sure take a while to rate MMO/RPG's.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    DVD's don't have to be re-reviewed when they add scenes not shown in theaters and don't have to change the rating on the case to reflect whats now inside.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually I'm pretty sure they do if they want to keep the rating they had in theaters; most of the time though they just release the 'UNRATED!!!' version rather than go through the whole process again. And unreated versions probably sell better anyway.

The annoying thing is I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions on selling DVDs to minors no matter the rating (except at like Wal-Mart, but that's not a law or anything), the only restrictions to seeing the movies exist at the theaters. And none of those restrictions are laws.

Frank the Avenger
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The annoying thing is I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions on selling DVDs to minors no matter the rating (except at like Wal-Mart, but that's not a law or anything), the only restrictions to seeing the movies exist at the theaters. And none of those restrictions are laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because choosing a movie that may have titties or violence in it is infinitely less horrible an outcome to certain parents than their children playing videogames where they choose to see titties or act out violence. Come on man, don't you see the obvious difference between the two!!!??? Its so obvious...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    BTW whats up with the whole tits and kids thing? Why is it that people are so freaked out about kids seeing tits, not like they haven't before. Well some might not have bottle fed kids and all. But come on!