Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance War II - nfrrtycmplx

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
Bling zing!

Mr_Fixit_SKetch01.jpg

Hope you like it... feedback appreciated.

thought i'd put together an entry this year... there's lots of cool stuff goin on in the forum, good luck everyone!

Replies

• nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *** sketches go here ***
    *** Backstory not important right now ***

• nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re-wrote the backstory... it's still probably lame, but it's better
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    nice concept... dig the proportions. smile.gif
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks Maul0r... you may not realize this, but it's me "War|ord" p0wn
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeaaah... less typey, more drawey. i might be willing to read that backstory if you had just managed to roundhouse kick my front teeth out with a concept, but right now all i've got is an almost-loose molar.
    the visuals must tell an interesting enough story before anyone's going to want to actually read even a paragraph or two. keep working on it.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks gauss, that's very helpful. I'll keep the backstory to myself, in the mean-time critiques of the actual work are appreciated. Currently don't know where I'm going to ultimately take this one... I'm not a character artist by any stretch of the imagination smile.gif
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More drawey...

Mr_Fixit_Sketch03.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just out of curiosity, could a guy get some crit on the work he's doin? at this point, anything would be helpful... preferably something more than, don't type so much smile.gif
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Since the Polycount thing seems to be techie thingies i would suggest techifying him. Right now he's kinda the caveman who has eaten some strange mushrooms. I love the design for the character. If you could try to go for the Tech-caveman look that'd be awsome smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    aww, i want to read the backstory. damn you gauss! I'm kind of confused why he has a strange ghosty coming out of him, which seems to be in the opposite style as he is.

I like the proportions in the second picture a lot better... his head is all kinds of badass, but the large proportions make him seem cartoony and silly.

I wouldn't say polycount's thing is techie... but he'll definitely need something bigger than that stone knife. Blunt objects would work well against big robots as well as soft ancients... so give him something B I G. Like, swing a dinosaur around by the tail big.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I don't know about the polycount thing being techi, but I do plan on doing some things with his vest to make it fit the time-period better... do some thumbnails of vests tonight or something.

The ghosty thing is explained in the back-story that I removed... I'm going to make a tighter backstory, and i've been playing around with different ideas... but the ghosty thing is the spirit of a child he knew in a POW camp... He was then possessed by the ghost of the boy and that is his weapon...

The ghost provides him with strength he wouldn't have otherwise.

I like the idea of having something big as his weapon... I'll do some thumbnails/sketches of things that could be used as that weapon.

Cheers, thanks for the comments!

The final style of the character is still in flux
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Fixit_Sketch04.jpg

sketched up different ideas for the vest, this is the one i liked most... any thoughts?
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    I like his evolution smile.gif
    If you wan't to keep that torn-caveman look you could rip his armor a bit. that'd look cool smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the face on this guy. The tumor-head is a nice touch.

That thumb on his left hand is really confusing me. I'm assuming it's a thumb, anyway. Its like this strange bulbous protrusion coming from the bottom of his hand.

And he doesn't have an upper arm! His forearm just directly attaches to his shoulder/tricep.

This character reminds me of a gnome-ish incarnation of Norwegian industrial star Mortiis
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on. I should fix that hand smile.gif it's pretty bad smile.gif Thanks for pointing it out to me,

The arm was supposed to be the hand goes directly into the forarm... but i guess that doesn't read well.. i've gotten enough comments on that aspect of it that I should fix it smile.gif

Thanks guys, Cheers!