Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance WarII - Jerry

Hi there,
<font color=" red">*11/3/07 Updated Below*</font>
I've been lurking these forums for quite some months now, seeing all the great stuff being made on the boards. But this is a time of war and i felt my calling.

I'd like to introduce myself a little bit: My name is Jerry(pretty obvious), i'm from holland. I'm 18 years old and im going to school (multimedia field, websites and stuff). About a half year i took interest in 3d mainly and 2d too, and i'd like to get better at it smile.gif.

Now as you might understand i'm pretty new to the 2d and 3d world so my experience is pretty limited. I'm here to learn mostly and trying to make myself better. I will do my best and fight the scum.

Now i've seen the advice to make thumbnails, and i've been at it. I see i'ts pretty horrible at the moment so i try to make ALOT more of these to get this technique down a bit. Some tips are appreceated smile.gif
thumbs1.jpg
thumbs2.jpg
thumbs3.jpg

thanks, Jerry

Replies

• jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i did some more. More to come coz it still takes alot of time for me to make these.

*image moved to first post*

Cheers. cool.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't see anything. Your hosting might be down.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    i like the number 4 one! and 13 and 14!
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 4 is a bit of a ripoff from halo (The Prophets). So i probably wont go that way. I like 13 myself but i'll be making some more, maby work 13 out a bit. Thanks for the input.

Mightypea, i'm pretty sure it works but i'll try to upload them on my other space smile.gif (my other space seams to be having trouble so i will just keep them up like this. If anyone else can't see, pls say so.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *image moved to first post*

Ok i made some new thumbnails and got tired with it, mainly becuase i dont like them that much. I think i should work towards a more solid concept now so i'll make some bigger drawings now.

Jerry
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i still like nr. 13 from your previous post better than the new ones laugh.gif, although number 3 from you last image is cool too.(bit basic.)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call me crazy but I really like the crazy voodoo mask guy you have in the first image you posted. The one that has a separate head sketched for it. It might be too small and too sketchy to make out but it looks like a cazy old voodoo man with a big back pack to me. Toss him a walking stick a few dangly charmes, a sniper rifle and or a bunch of TNT and I think you might have a nice entry =)
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi vig, i was kind of lost on direction and you just put me on the right road. I didnt even think of a voodoo mask when i made it but i really like the idea and i'm gonna make me a voodoo/shaman shadow. Maby with a big voodoo doll as a weapon HA! That would be pretty cool crazy.gif.

So i went too google me some inspiration and i will be sketching some stuff tonight.
    inspiration.jpg
    edit/
    domwarconcept3quiky.jpg
  • Dread_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dread_Reaper polygon
    Oooh, you could do some really messed up stuff with the voodoo concept, depending on how dark you wanna go with it. But yeah, definately keep the mask. Everything is cooler with a mask.

I think you might also be able to get some really original designs if you incorporated some sci-fi elements as well. But that's just a suggestion.

-Dread_Reaper
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo shaman shadow, AWESOME! I'm Glad I could help. I think you gathered some really good reference.

Make sure to keep him 31st century and I think it will be rockin!
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok again i'm no concept artist, i'm trying though confused.gif
    I upgraded the size of my thumbs a bit.
    bigthumbs1.jpg

Probably more to come, ideas are very welcome, state your favorite bits and maybe i can mix it up to some evil guy. Then the big challenge of a fuly rendered drawing but i'm not there.. yet.

Jerry

*noticed old drawings are gone, will replace in a sec*
    *done*
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the number 2 weapon and body and the number 1 head, i really like the original idea
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i've have been thinnking about my concept alot, and i have had a very hard time coming up with any sci-fi bits that would fit the topic because, both shaman and voodoo find their inspiration in nature.

I have been sketchin on paper and in photoshop and this is a design i kinda like. i want to get started on modelling in one or two days so a constructive reply is most welcome.
    (don't mind the mask design, just a doodle)
    test1.jpg
    crazy.gif
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started making a base for my guy and here's where i'm at. I'd like some input mainly on edgeflow because this is my first human model.

low.jpg
    fron_back.jpg

cool.gifJerry
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    keep crackin', jerry. sorry i can't help you out all that much with modeling advice, since i've been something of a slouch in that area myself, but you've got a start. keep posting updates and keep asking your fellow pcounters for pro-tips! smile.gif
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i'm having trouble that might keep me from finishing, i can't do a decent normal map mad.gif. I have been experimenting and all it ends up on is nothing. I tried the mudbox output, and the max method, but both gave me crap.

I think the first fair question is: is this model smooth/good/detailed/whatever enough to do a normal map on?

Ok i took some images of whats going on, i have updated the model with feet and fingers, well please see for yourself.

normalhelpthumb.jpg
    big

<font color="red">Updated with highpoly, this model is only for testing, when i know how to get a normal map working, i'll start on a good highpoly. Btw i might not be putting te map in the right place, i make a material and then in the bump map slot i add a bumpnormal and there tha map, is that ok? </font> grin.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i dont´t know your mudbox model .. so i can´t realy say anything about that
    but you have a lowpoyl model and you have a normalmap and i think the only problem is, you can´t display it

so if your max don´t wants to display it try xNormal
    http://www.xnormal.net/

edit: wich version of max do you use?
    if you put the map in the bump map slot this should work.. ähh i guess.. but it could be, you have to push the modifier to 200 or 300 to see the map clearly
    and why is your lowpoly model unsmoothed? give it all the smoothinggroup 1

if this does not help hope someone other knows more or try xnormal smile.gif

edit2: if you use max 8 this is the way
    http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=32119
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the help rollin, i got it to work finally, the whole normal map thing put me off working on the model so i'm not sure i will finish. I made progress though, and i'm pretty happy with this being my first human model.

It might be a little hard to detect but the normal map is on there crazy.gif I used a video tutorial form 3d-palace, and it turned out i didn't use the correct settings and the colors were switched.

Progress:
    progress1.jpg

I would appreceate some C&C, thanks
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i have a problem, caused by my inexperience mad.gif

As you see below in green, are alot of different objects. I know i can all attach them to each other and then unwrap them. However, i have been busy making the highpoly versions for every object and would like to normal map them. Would i be better off making one texture sheet per object or should i all add them together and map al the objects in one time (this might give me a hard time, seeing there are alot of overlapping elements, would that work out with the cage?).

help_uv.jpg

I hope someone with more experience on these things could help me, because i would like to finish
    crazy.gif(little time i know smile.gif
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UniqueSnowFlake polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Jerry,

I like the progress your making and the drive to finish off your character smile.gif

I read through your post a few times and hopefully this will be helpfull:

When I did my character I attached all my parts together (low poly) and unwrapped it. This way you get all your mesh onto 1 texture layed out and can save as much texture room as you can.

Once you have done this, you can detach each of your objects and make your normal maps for them. I usally do this just so you don't have to mess around with hundreds of verts on the cage, making things easier (In my opinion).

The down side to this method is you will have to go into your 2D program and attach all your normal maps togeather into one big one (which really isn't that much of a drama.

Hope that helps a little.. smirk.gif

good luck with the rest of him smile.gif
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks uniqueSnowflake, that is exactly what i was looking for. I would have thought the detaching would break the uv's. Anyway i'm off unwrapping now laugh.gif, thanks alot.