Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance War II - dfacto

dfacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dfacto polycounter lvl 18
Reserving a spot in hopes of motivating myself to defeat teh lazy.

One shadow assassin type comin' right up! Probably.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the defeat of teh lazy starts now, and you know it! i know you just posted this thread, but i've admired your work for a long time, dfacto, and i'd like to see you put together a quality entry this year.
    lest we forget and fail to learn our lessons from last year: as i recall, you had some promising designs going, but then you kinda lost momentum in waffling around with some design changes. so let's get the thumbnails underway earlier this year and get you on track for "teh win", as the kids say. come on now!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *wrenches himself out of lazy mode*

Phew.

I have a lot of ideas for this years comp, but they're all half baked at this point. There's on that I really do like though, and it's an old idea that I've been kicking around my head for years now. I'm not sure I can pull it off, but I think I'll at least try to concept it.

Basically, it's a Shadowmancer. Like a Necromancer, except he controls shadows in ways that defy physics and common sense. Not only does this literally tie the character to the prompt, but I think it's a cool idea too.

The concept I'm aiming for is the idea I've had for the character for a while. He is standing mostly obscured inside a ball. The outside is a shaded choppy pseudo organic looking metal, while the inside is pitch black shadow with no lighting at all. He's standing in there looking out with a smirk, hands close together in front of him with fingers pointed down and outwards, while two bladelike tendrils come off of the outside of the ball and follow his fingers.

I started on the ball, but I got kinda sidetracked. Soo... I present to you: PC torment ball!

pctormentballjp4.jpg

Deep in the belly of the evil planet Polycountus Prime the diabolical slave servants of the Mods worked without toil to perfect the body of their dark God, Green Smiley Face. Harnessing liquid evil and arcane song texts from the 1980s they completed the temple of their master: A fearsome visage of torment, ready to devour the foes of Polycount. And it did; each soul devoured by its ruinous maw forever torn from the mortal plane, and only the eyes of the damned were left to peak out through the otherwordly teeth at the world they would never touch again.

etc etc. :P
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadowmancercopynp6.jpg

Working on the ball some more. I really should do the character, but I'm having a blast messing with this thing in photoshop.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadowmancer2cs0.jpg

I am loving this concept, but I will never ever do it justice with a model. I think I need to think of something simpler...
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    That looks really cool actually, but id have to say it seems like itd be better as a personal project. Im not quite sure this would be the entry you would want to commit to for this contest. It is a really cool concept tho. Kinda like a god climbing out of a planet or something. confused.gif
    nice work anyways!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's probably gonna end up as a personal project. I did some sketching for another freaky idea along the same lines, but I think it might also be best left for a later time. Or not, I dunno. I like the idea, but I'll have to see if I can get it looking menacing enough.

shadowmancersketchesah6.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    as I told you already, I love the ball thing

your last concept is on a very nice way too I dig the mask thing smile.gif really cool
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck modelling, this concepting shit is a blast!

radianttempcopygx5.jpg

Vahl: Thanks. I like it too, but it's not very modelling friendly imo. Dunno.