Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ahaha nice ! great way to start up !
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    btw, that's what you get for going into battle wearing blue jeans.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a mountain of problems with normal maps. Also problems with R2t, seems to be something wrong with the mesh as the lighting/rendering setup works on other objects, and fresh UV set does not work correctly either.

Well this has been a long haul for me with some major disappointments. It's a shame since I entered with the sole purpose of learning normal maps. Though, I won't quit. I will do a quick lousy traditional diffuse tonight when I get back from work.

Blah... I need to figure out what went wrong and come again at it next year.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Fear not EricElwell, this is looking neat and has tons of potential for a sweet portfolio piece. Great work.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jap.. pls finish it someday!!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    This is a pretty cool concept. I like it.
    I actually like the vertex color version better than the textured stuff.
    That's not to say your texturing isn't good.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the vertex color thing as some kind of FF7 vibe to it...
    hope you'll find time to re-experiment normals on this model man you were on the right track.
    as far as the texture goes, I think you could use some extra details here and here to break the monotone look of it.

don't give up man!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, yeah, I agree with the texture. Really, all I did was a vertex color bake, pits'n'peaks bake and a day of photoshop hackery. It's very obvious on areas like that left arm, where the light direction is flipped. Haha, actually, I worked on the texture on Monday the 26th which shows how far behind I was. but yeah, I hit a point at which I realized it was total nonsense to try to do that. There's no way it'd hold up against the amazing work you guys have been doing. The bigger issue was that I entered this competition, really just to have a project that required normal maps. I figured the huge texture sizes and 6 week time frame gave me plenty of padding to learn, but I really biffed it. There were a lot of other factors, but ultimately, I just don't know what I doing with baking normal maps. There were also some whacked out problems with the mesh. Which I will post some stuff about later. So I will look into this more closely when I have time, practice normal mapping on simpler shapes, and come back to finish him off proper.

Thanks for the support guys, it's really good to hear after feeling like I wasted those 7 weeks.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    *cry*

I love this concept and it totally sucks that it didn't make it in! You should finish it and make it a PPM for UT3 or something!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    finish this thing as intended on gameartisan!