Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance War II - Noel Cower

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Nilium polycounter lvl 18
And so I mark the beginning of my horrors.

This is about the best I can do until I get hold of a scanner on campus:
quicky.png

Replies

• Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, let's get this shit rolling. 'Nother quick sketchy.

domcon1-t.png

Not sure if it's obvious where I'm going with this.

Damn hard to do this on a laptop -- for once I actually want to be back in my dorm room.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the front. Doing this really quickly, I apologize for making a post per update, but I can't be arsed clicking 'edit' xD

domcon2-t.png

Thing on his face is just a mask, not cyborg or anything. Think of the Predator's helmet for its function. It's for hunting, basically.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    sam fisher had gone mutant....

show us more smile.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks sweet, I like it. Kinda looks like he had an xbox modded into his head though smile.gif
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, while gauss is going completely fucking nuts, I'll pop in with some quick pictures and .. musings? I don't know if that's the correct term, but thankyewgoodnight I don't care.

First off, I decided to pop into Silo and make a quick model to get a feel for how I wanted the helmet to turn out. This isn't quite finished (obviously, I suppose), but the general shape and feel is there and I'm liking it.
    domcon-helm.png

Pea was also suggesting that, instead of a mask, the huge goggle be some sort of bony socket protruding from the skull. On the upside, this would make it a lot easier to avoid problems with the rules about use of tech (I'm still not sure what's too much for Polycount's side, so I'll go with what I have now and make amends as I see fit, since I'm still trying to nail an idea).

Another idea I'm tempted to try is a cyclops sort of set up, where he has just one large, monolithic socket like the goggle there, glowing green with glass. A bit like those sorts of ocean-exploration suits you see in old Scooby Doo episodes. Would be nice if I could remember what they're called. Anyway, the only difference would be that it's more of a lens, and would not open to reveal anything on the inside. Not exactly the most original idea (I can name at least two places I've seen something like that before).

Secondly, I drew up this quick thing just to get an idea of how I would do the torso. First sketch, so nothing impressive or anything, just a general idea of where I'm going with it. I might find something that physically attaches the two bodies without losing the flame, however. Flame is important, I likes it a lot.
    domcon3-t.png

Anyway, that's all. Let this get lost in gauss's motivational post-storm now, as it's important to get those other folks to haul ass. wink.gif
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I'd try out that thumbnail thing gauss keeps going on about and that Mop was using in his thread.

domthumbs.png

If there's one thing I've noticed about them all, it's that legs seem to get a minimal amount of attention. Need to work on that, I suppose.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you thought you'd slip by unawares, eh?
    not my fault if i happen to shunt 5 months of very little posting into one afternoon smile.gif

you know most of what i'm going to say by now if you've read any from this 'posting storm'--i'm glad you've taken a shake at the thumbnails, but that's not really a proper go, now is it? you commented on MoP's set of thumbnails so i know you know what a proper set of thumbnails ought to be like... quick, small, and suggestive of the big forms. don't get bogged down in detail, or highlighting or anything--in your case, i'd even say not to draw anything within the silhouette. just different black blobs; try to make the most interesting 10-15 black blobs you can. and please, restrain your desire to comment and annotate your thumbnails until after you're done--on this last one, your pithy little comments are larger than the drawings. though the drawings are just about the right size, even if a little too detailed. keep it loose, keep it fun.
    also in this case i think you've got a very good start with your head/ze goggles design, so now you need to think about doing the full body.
    if you've got what you think you want for a head design, an easy way to go about the thumbnailing process if you're a lazy bastard (and i know you are) is to start with a 3/4ths drawing of the head (no profile or head-on!), and then maybe ghost in a skeleton underneath it, and then copy the whole thing ten or twelve times in photoshop. now you've got your template to doodle away and figure out what you want the character's body to look like, easy peasy.
    but who ever listens to gauss, anyway? well after this storm blows over, i won't be around again for a while likely, so get the nagging while you can...

PS - "campus," "dorm room" ? noel done growed up! i feel like a proud parent... no, i guess the perverted uncle with a restraining order. either way it's real emotional ;_;
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, I've been watching for the past.. hours. O_o

Yeah, I'm going to get on the thumbnails more properly when I'm back in my dorm room. Working on my laptop with my tablet on my lap isn't as easy as it is for others. The squiggly lines in the profile/etc. shots? Not intentional, but the result of having the thing in my lap. Doesn't look bad, but still.

Skull thing is all well and good, but you pretty much nailed it in regards to the body. Totally didn't think about it until after I did the futzing around with the mask/helmet in Silo. Just another thing on the to-do list, along with coming up with other ideas for this than just the skull dude, much as I like him.

Oh, and in regards to me having "done growed up," it's not all it's cracked up to be. Mostly just me ending up where I was two to three years ago: depressed, anxious, and confused. On the upside, at least I have someone to spend time with that means more to me than most people. You know what I mean, I think.

Right now, though, I'm at home after a nervous breakdown about a week ago. Switching medication, avoiding wanting to kill myself, and sitting around crying for long periods of time, basically. I put those emo bastards to shame.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    since you seem more comfortable blocking some things out in 3d, you might like trying to block out a character in silo or whatever and then going over in with your tablet and trying to find some cool details to work with.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more thumbnails. Some I'm into, others not so much.

domcon4-t.png
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    There are some really nice ideas in your thumbs! A good 70% of them could potentially be awesome characters.
    Great stuff so far man.

-caseyjones
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy, but went looking at other ideas during that time. Decided to do a quick painted version of one of the thumbnails:

domcon5-t.png