Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    added begining of concept
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    she really does look like general corum's lady friend. tongue.gif great details on the armor, i'm tempted to say she is lacking on the "evil" factor, but this is only ortho. GOGOGO vahl!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    with all those lovely shapes I am sure this character is going to be damn fine.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    But will you finish it this time? Will you? WILL YOU?!

Yes you will or Frenchie's gonna catch a whoopin' real bad!
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Vahl dammit I was just concepting a character that totally looks like yours frown.gif
    Feck now I gotta put modifications...

Good luck btw tongue.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    updated concept in first post.

Snowfly : I'll try to stay away from rawkstar's awesome general, but thanks for the comparison, I'm really flattered laugh.gif

Spacemonkey : thanks man, I'll do my best laugh.gif

Ramucho : hehe, post yours dammit!!!

Adam : dammit dirty canadian...yah I'll try to finish...seems to be the crunch all over the place, like everyone is trying to finish their games at the same time (or like everyone is fucking late tongue.gif)

I'll try to make the evil side more obvious, also to break the symmetry, I just wanted to have a more or less solid base to start working on...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Shit man, she's looking fuckin sweet. Loving the style. Can't wait to see more! Gonna be bald or have hair?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    She's just too fucking cool, I'm just sittin here imagining that concept realised in a million polymesh and textured... :O
    This is definately on my "STALK" list.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    vahl! really looking forward to your entry this year man, this should be awesome.
    while i'd give my token exhortation to thumbnail and take your time considering different ideas, you seem far enough along on a strong concept that i don't think it's quite necessary. lots of groovy little details that i know you'll realize beautifully with a normal map... your big work at this point will be nailing down certain details, refining, and giving her the extra kick she needs to go from good to great. probably some more work on the head/headgear/face area, most likely. she needs a really evil but seductive face if you ask me (and you did, in a pm, remember? ok, so maybe not). anyhow, keep up the progress updates!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    updated concept

I'm glad you guys like her too smile.gif

Gauss : thanks for the comment, and I totally agree, she has to look evil but still seductive, that's definitely a must have. And I still have a LOT of work on that area, I was thinking about making her armor more like a bone structure/mutation, which is a big bump on the evil factor.

I'm quite bad at defining shapes in 2D tho, so of course, everything will be way more defined and balanced while modeling I'll probably change a lot of things until the end, plus, this year, I decided to have as much fun as I can, and more than that, I want to push the limits of what I can do.

That said general gauss, any advice, idea and suggestion will be greatly appreciated and taken in account (and this is valid for anyone willing to share it laugh.gif).

and for the weapons, she'll have two swords/whips, ivy like, just because I like them tongue.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome concept, man. I'm really looking forward to the final entry. smile.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looking radical man.. maybe polycount has a chance after all..

better make two just in case, you have a lot of slack to catch up for..
    laugh.gif
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY VAHL!!!!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    birthday boy!

its really cool, if a bit abstract, asymmetry her up a bit i dunno, kind of reminds me of paul richards' fantasy concepts.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    interesting color choices. I agree with more asymmetry. It would add a lot to the concept.

Edit: Oh, and happy bday =)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    concept updated
    thanks a lot, for the comments and the b-day tongue.gif

I totally agree about the symmetry, the updated concept has that fixed, I think

I also made the whole armor less busy, thus easier to read, the main shapes are still there though
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Updated the top concept again, with a better head this time, I also started a new direction, just to try new things, make the character more alien while keeping the abctract lines

I don't know yet which direction is the best, any input will be greatly appreciated
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Nice... I'm a big fan of the silhoutte in the second pic(lots of variation) but I really like the familiar forms in the first. Either way you go should be awesome.. maybe a combination of the two?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye vahl that first drawing looks very cool ,i love ur design style
    maybe u'r getting a little too busy on the torso.. keep ur bigger shapes solid, push your silhouette, and i think you're through.

and here comes an interval where i decided to just paint over it some ideas.. and got carried away.
    waddya think?

vahl.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The second concept seems to have something going for it. It's more original than the first one and it has a great shape. I think you should push that idea a little further and see where it takes you. Though I'd be happy to see you stick to either of the two.

-caseyjones
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    That last one really has something, though you need to refine it. But then again I'm a sucker for freaky concepts. :3

Keep at it, I wanna see where this goes.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks a lot guys

Shotgun : thanks for the paintover, it helped me to put the colored areas on the update, also tried to put some of your suggestions in, although I want her to feel quite agile still, as her weapons will be two sword/whips (think ivy from soulcalibur) so the changes are a tad more discrete than the ones you suggested.

The_bird : yah I tried to do that too in the last updae, especially on the helmet, I'm thinking of adding something close to the alien's spine on her back too, just to make her more interesting from the side

caseyjones, dfacto : thanks laugh.gif I'm definitely gonna work that alien thing more tomorrow wether I model it or not for the contest, I think it's an interesting alternative, and I don't want to miss something by not pushing it further. In any case the one that won't be picked will be my next project tongue.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Yes , now I realy like the head !
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    quick concept for the sword thing, the design may change tho
    ivy ftw

domwar2concept4Sword.jpg

now I'll spend more time on the second alternative (the alien thingie at the top)and then choose which one I want for the contest tongue.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Reminds me of Ivy's weapon from Soul Calibur. I LUV EET.

And yes I le noticed it!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    in my mind there's no comparison--alien direction is unfocused and largely uninteresting, while the female already looks ready to model with very well balanced detailing. gogogo! laugh.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Totally agree with Gauss, that chick is up there with the best concepts I've seen so far in this comp...
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    First one ftw!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    The chick at the top of the page is definetely killer, alot of interesting shapes and I'm sure you will pull out more of the love from the concept. Soo wanting to see more of what your going to do, now i have to sit back and wait:(

Spark
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    That sword is very Genesis survivor giarth. nice concept and design!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the kind words guys...I really had no energy to work at home lately, let's hope it's back now tongue.gif

headstart.jpg
    started doodlin' something, about an hour...
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    looking sweet so far Vahl. So now you're going to town in Zbrush? Im almost done with my base model, cant wait to start Z. Ill be watching yours.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    This must be Visor's wife.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    go vahl, I hope you get that motivation back your work is looking great smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking cool, kinda reminds me of slash from q3... or visors wife as Cheap said.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    clee101 : it's mud actually, but yah, the sculpting route is much easier for me as I can experiment stuff and correct it really quickly tongue.gif

cheapy and xaltar : I certainely got unconciously inpired by quake 3, plyed it so much tongue.gif and slash was my character...there must be something there tongue.gif

spacemonkey : thanks man, it's really hard these days, all my energy goes into work and I only feel like playing and watching tv when I get back home, but I'm feeling better since I started sculpting tongue.gif

Update on the head, I'll call it done for now, I'll probably come back to the neck bits to blend them more with the armor style, I'll see, starting the body tomorrow.
    headstart3.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking sexy, keep it up!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Fucking hell , how You do that . mad.gifooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking sexy, keep it up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with You !!! Her lips they are so soft - just to kiss ! crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Vahl , finish her , please.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I really like the shape on this helmet man !! Pure style smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks a lot guys ^^

some progress on the belt

domwar2progress01.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The head is looking intense dude! I love it. Keep it up.

-caseyjones
  • FistFullofSlap
    I'm coming for you all! The side of shadow had thier Shot, Vengance and LIGHT will previal!

The Slap was here! CGCHAT FTW!
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vahl, the sculpting route like you said mean that you already finished building your base model and unwrapped it? Or did you skip it and moved onto Mudbox and build as you go? Looking great so far.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    steady as she goes. looking forward to seeing her completed, quite certainly! smile.gif keep rocking, vahl.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    looking hot! I love it.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    clee101 : my base mesh was finished before the sculpt stage with seperated meshes where I had specific props and stuff

Gauss : thanks man...it's quite hard for me to keep going these days, work drains my energy...

wizo : thanks

I managed to get some motivation back friday night, so I started the body, still obviously pretty wip and sill symmetrical (not for long, though!

I'll certainely tweak the proportions at one point to make everything a tad bulkier...or not tongue.gif

domwar2progress03.jpg

I may have to tweak the head at little though...I'm trying to merge the alien idea while keeping the balance the original concept had.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome! There is no need for bulkiness, I love the sleek anatomical alien armour feel its got! More!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I like it all 'cept the shape of her bottom half. I picture the armour to be very sleek... and if her body was too, yowza. Right now its a bit bulky in the hip and calf area. The design on the armour itself is awesome.

Instead of the bulkiness I'm thinking a shape more like seven-of-nine would really help this character out:
    7o9.gif
    7o9.gif

Ignore the boobs =)
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do agree, the head is looking great, but the body seems to look alot different than what you have on your concept. The bulkiness is what stands out the most. Anyway, great sculpting!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    domwar2progress04.jpg

I'm going to redo the hed tomorrow evening (monday) see what I can do because it doesn't fit at all anymore, I'll keep the shape though, then shoulderpad weapons and texture laugh.gif omg I actually *MAY* make it in time OMG I'm gonna finish something personnal in less than a year!!!