Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Carny pack

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
richkid polycounter lvl 13
sooo, for one of my classes they want me to model 3-4 character models based off of the theme "seedy carnival". fun stuff, i started this one yesterday around noonish. id say i have a total of 5-6 hrs into him thus far. im planning on keeping the texture painting to a minimum and let the normal maps do most of the work. So any crits and comments are most welcome like always, he still has another day or two worth of work so get those crits in before i start up on the next one.
carnygrab.jpg

thanks, and peace

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    great model!
    but here are some things i would change:
    The lower body looks too thin and too boney. smile.gif
    also the hips could have more meat. wink.gif
    the sleeves looking too tight
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. His arms look to thick at the deltiod-peck area, and the wrinkles on the shirt are too large, almost like those found on towels, which is contradictory because the shirt looks extremely tight around the arms and waist.
    Wireframe?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    texture looks ultra muddy...
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    cool gav. I agree though, the texture looks really muddy. I think the shader that you have been using has been making alot of your textures muddy to be honest. but I know you like it haha=p anywho, the sternal mastoid could be more pronounced on this as well...just general reshaping of the neck and even the shoulders to an extent.

the hands look nice though, yet the thumb looks weird to me kind of I think its cause you need an extra kink near wear the wrist and thumb bone connect. right now it looks like a straight edge from the wrist to the first nuckle of the thumb.

and I agree about the wrinkles, you know better=p

keep it up man
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yo, sorry i havnt posted back up in a couple of days, ive been busy with school stuff. Put another hr or 2 into the dude, check it, still got a bit more to go.
    CarnyGrab2.jpg

thanks for the crits guys, keep em comin
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    cool gav. blah blah blah the sternal mastoid could be more pronounced blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF Darcy did you go grab an anatomy book for that one? I'm just playing with ya buddy. Gav it's looking good. But heres my crit.

-Pants and whole thing is way too shiny. Hell my action figures are still in the package and aren't that shiny.

-The guy looks a lot like you. Was that on purpose?

-The clothes are still really tight. I am not sure about the wrinkles like mentioned before.

-Show us some different angles so we can poke some more.

Thanks buddy
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    haha you ass Jesse. thats straight from my big ass nagon you jerk! lol.

yea I agree with jesse too...hes to shiny...in fact it looks like Jesse's belly when hes sitting at home on his fat ass with his shirt off and eaten Kentucky friend chicken bones spread all over his greasy fat belly!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ahh you got me...shucks...but its not the KFC man.. It's all that grease from the California Burritos and salsa pouring out onto my Love Engine.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so its been a while. I stylized up the character a little bit at my groups request. I switched over to jistyles new iteration of his shader which is waaay better, it doesnt muddy up the texture as much.
    CarnyGrabwire.jpg
    carnyGrabTooneds.jpg
    carnyGrabToonedF.jpg
    carnyGrabToonedb.jpg

now, before the crits start flying, these are the areas that i have not touched upon yet.
    seems
    detailed normal map for hair and cloth
    anything in the fingers
    pants pocket and belt details

other than that he is fair game, let the burn session begin
  • 3D-j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im down with the style. id like to see how you will keep it through out the project. I know that you noted that you were not done yet. I can see you still have some areas that are significantly brighter then others on the head portion of the texture. It maybe the lighting on the neck from a light within the scene? And if it is a light its catching the arms a little weird. The upper arm looks alot brighter then forearm. Are his hands suppose to be really dirty? Maybe a closeup of the head could get you some other good crits. I can see a little bit of the seam on it. Looks awsome, keep up the work.
  • 3D-j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, it must be the lighting. Just went back to the first image post and that one looks better on the arms and neck.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah man, its not the lighting, its just that the core of the body is not as tanned like the forearms and face. i think thats what you are picking up.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    isn't the ribcage that is showing under his shirt supposed to be a bit higher? especially in the front bit?
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Really like the style you're goin with here. Keep at it.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff gav... your style is really improving.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, the next wave of carny is under way, i still need to post up the end result of the carny worker, but for now, here is the midget barker.
    Midget.jpg
    MidgetGrab.jpg
    MidgetRender.jpg

i did him during one of my classes, so i would say maybe 3hrs in so far.

rock and roll boys
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the newest shot.
    midgetupdate2.jpg
    midgetupdate2grab.jpg
    so other than a couple of little accessories, i would say that the model is done. there should be a flat texture one up by the end of the night, or in the morning, depending on how distracted i get by shiny objects and day dreams of the dominance war.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    not sure why people havent responded to this yet! its pretty fukin kewl, deffinately not the norm model i see around here.

only thing id consider changing would be the shoes dont really read as anything, they kinda feel like socks. ur concept is very loose so im not sure what you were going for. Also there is an edge in the forehead where it makes 2 tris, you could turn one of the edges and it would clean that up a bit beter =)

keep rockin out, hope textures come out rad.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the start of the normal, not much into it yet.

MidgetUpdate3.jpg

crack em apart kids
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creepy mofohe will be sexy once he is done
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the creepy carny Gavin. I like the style and somewhat character-ization(?) of them. speaking of "creepy mofohe" ciscojavier is also a "creepy mofohe"! ha.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the first character, excellent weight and form in him. the skin in between the thumb and the index finger could be more rounded and less in volume. It's a really minor thing, the character as it is now is quite perfect to me.

Looking forward to the small guy smile.gif