Home Technical Talk

Some issues using Johny's seam elimination method

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
So I'm trying to use that super useful baking technique that Johny wrote the article for on Gamasutra. Heres the link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061019/kojesta_01.shtml

Well, its fairly simple, and I have followed the directions to the word but when I bake my channel 2, instead of seeing the portion of the map sampled from channel 1, I get a mush of color. The pixels ARE being sampled from the object, since the colors match and it responds to light direction, but it seems like its reading the UVs as if theyre all bunched up.
Now, in my top lvl Unwrap UVW modifier, the UV layout looks fine, so the problem doesnt seem to lie there, or with the Planar map below it.

Am I missing anything obvious that could be causing this?

I know that was a bit of a ramble, so let me know if something is unclear and ill try to explain it better.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, do you have any screenshots of the problem? That might help people to explain it if they've seen the effect before...

Have you tried turning off Anti-aliasing and Filtering in the Render setup before you bake the texture? That can sometimes cause problems...
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MoP

thanks for the reply. I tried the AA/filtering settings and that didnt seem to help. Those are set in the global render settings correct?

I made a grab to better illustrate.

question.jpg

You can see how the section is being mapped by the UVW unwrap. I labeled the unwrappers based on their channel in case thats where the error is (although i dont think it is).

You can see the output i get down at the bottom. Mostly mush, and nothing useful.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I had this same problem...put an edit mesh in the stack....I know it seems(ha punny) silly but once you put the eidt mesh modifier in the stack it should work no problem.

Here is a script I use with that tut..it automates the setup..
    Just run the macro and it will set up all the chanels and the edit mesh...you just have to have the faces selected in the edit poly first

Run the script after you select the faces that have the offending seam in them...after you run the script adjust your uvs, then set up your RTT

modPanel.addModToSelection (Edit_Mesh ()) ui:on
    subobjectLevel = 4
    modPanel.setCurrentObject $.modifiers[#Edit_Mesh]

modPanel.addModToSelection (Unwrap_UVW ()) ui:on

$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap.setMapChannel 2
    modPanel.addModToSelection (Uvwmap ()) ui:on
    $.modifiers[#UVW_Mapping].mapChannel = 2

$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap.setMapChannel 2
    $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap.scale ()
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you, my friend, are a genius.

Thanks a lot, that works like a charm.

Gotta love this forum =)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol , that might be my model , but who wrote that very usefull tut was peter Kojesta from exis interactive smile.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol whoops. I just assumed it was you cause of the model.

Credit where it's due. Nice model btw =)
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers for the script Low Odor, very helpful......