Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

City of Heroes/City of Villains Environment work.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
Well I got approval to post some work I did. This is all stuff from City of Heroes/City of Villains.

With Issue 9 (next update) we're releasing an invention system. Essentially crafting. We've had the exterior of these Universities around the game for a long time, but now we've built an interior, which will be where people go to use the invention system.

University01.jpg
University02.jpg
University03.jpg
University04.jpg
University05.jpg
University06.jpg

Along with crafting comes Auction Houses. More Specifically a "Consignment House" for Heroes, and a Black Market for Villains.

Wentworths01.jpg
Wentworths02.jpg
Wentworths03.jpg
Wentworths04.jpg
Wentworths05.jpg
Wentworths06.jpg

BlackMarket01.jpg
BlackMarket02.jpg
BlackMarket03.jpg
BlackMarket06.jpg

Crits are welcome, but since this stuff is done and in game already, I probably won't be able to do much with them.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it.

Thanks
-Nick

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah! YOU'RE the one that built that Prime semi!

Hah, I've danced on that thing more than once! smile.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh. . .

:::looks over at producer glaring & punching his hands together:::

I don't know what you're talking about. . . it's just a red semi . . .
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's cool! just a red semi.

I tried to put him in one of our games, but that fell through.

I'll get him in our next game though.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just curious, why are there no shadows on the props and such? Are prop shadows too taxing on the engine because it's an MMO or something? I really have no idea, but would very much like to.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Nice post Nick. I already gave you crits at work on some of these. smile.gif I really like the visual push you've been giving City of.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erik, keep in mind this is an older game, not "next gen" And yes, basically we don't have cast shadows. We can do some trickery on certain objects, such as using a dark, blurry decal under things (like characters) but for the most part our lighting is pretty simple.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, ok, makes sense to me. I played CoV for a little while when it first came out. Very much enjoyed the character customization, but got a little bored being stuck in cities. Nice work though, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    cool stuff Nick, the black market is exceptionally awesome.

I'm digging your lighting in the library too, particularly in the "techy" room. The mix of colors and outdoor & indoor light give it a nice feel.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll try and post more stuff later, but it can be hard since I can't post until something goes live, and by time it goes live it's usually been so long since I've worked on it I'll have forgotten.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff,, i wonder if i can sneak Prime into Warhammeronline. that could be a bit tricky !
  • Dollmistress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's horrible that you have been allowed to turn Optimus Prime into a dealer of stolen/illegal goods for auction/sale by villains.

There is no way that creation is going to last long in City of Villains - as a simple easter egg he was harmless, but now it's confirmed that he is going to act as a villain "loot house" people are going to be miffed and close him down.

Did you think you'd get away with doing this to a fictional hero?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doll, I honestly can't tell if you're joking or being serious. Either way, creating a new account just to respond to this thread is amusing in itself. Thanks for the chuckle.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    very cool, good job.
  • Dollmistress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would never get away with dropping a Superman/Batman/Yoda/Gandalf model into the middle of an MMO. Especially where they were going to be used as a trading post for villains.

Cryptic Studios wouldn't allow World of Warcraft to use a Statesman model as an evil NPC. It's an insult to the character and their fans.

With the Transformers film approaching, along with a mass of new merchandise focused squarely on Optimus Prime, how do you think this model and it's intended use/context are going to remain unnoticed by Dreamworks Studios and/or Marvel comics?

Prime is a comic/cartoon icon. A heroic one. It's just wrong to abuse his image like this.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Dollmistress, any further commentary on this subject and further derailment of the thread will result in deletion of your posts and banning of your account. Please stop now.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as stated above. . . it's just a red truck. . .
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa, how do i missed this one.
    Great work, I never play this one, In MMo i prefer japanesee, korean and else manga style like Silkroad or Rappelz, but this looks cool.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Por, COH/COV is out in Korea too just fyi :P
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I played CoH for a while, still have my accound sleeping (just deactivated it for now) I always loved the environments in there (and to me the shots are not giving them justice) they really look awesome and run damn fast when crowded with ennemies ( I remember loads of missions with areas filled with 20+ ennemies, really cool)

good job man laugh.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vahl, you obviously haven't been in Grandville! LOL

Suffice it to say that we've had performance issues with COV. We've done a lot to make them better already, but there's always room for improvement.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think it all looks outstanding. I only have 1 crit though, which is bugging me. The carpet/throw rug in the 3rd screenshot is VERY low res, when compared to everything else. Even the normal carpet in the screenshot above it, looks better.

Other than that, amazing stuff smile.gif
  • lemur lad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just wanted to chime in and say it's been my experience in playing CoH and CoV that opinions like Dollmistress are not the norm.

I was pleased and excited to see "the big red truck" and I know a lot of people I've talked to feel the same.

Kudos on some very good work, and I'm sorry someone felt the need to trash this thread when the Official message board for CoH is (barely) where that belongs.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. I also like how you reduced/hid repetition on textures like the book racks. Are you guys using vertex-color for the interior lighting? Or was it baked into the bitmaps? Looks like maybe the latter.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Nope for COH/COV we use vertex lighting, nothing but point lights, and only on interiors. God I wish I had access to spot lights & cast shadows! LOL
  • SilentMobius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SilentMobius polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely work, as a CoX'er myself I like the "Red Semi" and it's interesting as a amateur to hear about the limitations of the CoX engine. But can I ask?
    What on earth happened to the shaders used for the medium LOD model for Wentworths? the roof just "pops" in a really nasty way as you cross the threshold, its like after face reduction a totally different shader is being used, its really jarring.

Here's an example:
    http://www.silentmobius.entadsl.com/screenshot_2006-12-04-19-45-28.jpg
    http://www.silentmobius.entadsl.com/screenshot_2006-12-04-19-45-30.jpg

Or was the LOD work out of your hands?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Silent, thanks for the comments. It's nice hearing from people who actually play the game :P

As for the roof, the reason it looks like one LOD is using a different shader is because. . . well, it is.

The Same way you can set up LODs and have a farther away object use a less expensive mesh (less polys), We also have a way of having that farther object use a less expensive shader (i.e. no normal map/fancy reflection, etc.)

I'll take a look at it on Tuesday when I get in (monday being a holiday) and make sure it's not popping, but essentially it comes down to whether you'd rather have fancy shaders on everything, no matter how far away it is, or if you want your game to run right LOL.

Recently we've actually discovered that bumpmaps in general are causing a big hit for some reason. If you've been to Grandville, one of the main reasons it runs so horridly is actually all the Arachnos shaders, not the polycount (which is also fairly excessive).

Hope that sheds some light on stuff, and I'll take another look when I get into work.

Thanks again.

-Nick
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff, man smile.gif
  • 4_Thirty_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a long-time CoX player (wave 3 beta), every issue brings me great joy. If only you could've heard the joy in my voice when I first saw the Abandoned Tech area for Faultline... Everything looks wonderful, and I'm really looking forward to the new issue. :3

Question, though... Do y'all at Cryptic use 3DS or Maya? Or is it a proprietary piece of software?

Just curious and all.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HA HA Glad you liked the abandoned tech area. That was my doing as well. It was fun to F*ck it up after having to deal with it so much! LOL

We use Max for all our modeling/UVing and then export to our own proprietary engine/editor for zone assembly.
  • 4_Thirty_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing it redone after running through the original oh so bloody often was a breath of fresh air. The reskins/redos of the mission maps are always welcome, and I'm crossing my fingers for more. smile.gif

Thanks for the reply, by the way; I'd contacted Cuppa, Cricket and Lighthouse on the official boards at various asking that same question. Getting the answer from the source seems a little easier. laugh.gif

Keep up the fabulous work.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL ya Those three are really helpful, but they're on the NCSoft side, and disconnected from the studio. Well, the only one left is Lighthouse, and he's inhouse now. So if you ever have questions, you can ask me, or PM Lighthouse and tell him to go ask Nick if he doesn't know LOL.

There's some cool stuff coming in I9, but I can't think of any terribly cool mission customizations. . . Oh, wait, there's at least one that you'll like. ::grin.gif::
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update now that I9 is released.

The Abyss, the Villain side home to the Hamidon (raid content) is in now. I made most of the parts, and assembled everything.

Abyss01.jpg
    Abyss02.jpg
    Abyss03.jpg
    Abyss04.jpg
    Abyss05.jpg
    Abyss06.jpg
    Abyss07.jpg

And for the few that were tremendously upset with me for putting in a red truck, rest at ease. . . it's now blue:

BlackMarket04.jpg
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, man. The Optimus Prime truck was a cool homage to Transformers. There's no use crying over spilt milk. Anyone who got upset about it are just hassling you because they can. Ignore them.

Other than that, the environments look great. I haven't had the pleasure of playing City of Heroes/Villains, but it's looking pretty intriguing. I'll be watching this thread. smile.gif
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great Nick. Good job.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe. I remember my wife asking where the blackmarket was in Cap, and I told her to look for the big red diesel truck. Then she gets there and she's like, 'Is this it?'. And then I'm like oh, yeah... I thought it was gonna be red.

;p

Then later that evening I got rocked by the Hami.

;(
  • 4_Thirty_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent stuff. The Abyss looks great, though it'll be ages before I get a villain high enough to raid Hami there. laugh.gif
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Hi matey, looks very impressive. It will even more if U could put some light in there.
    Impressive like always smile.gif
    Cheers