Home Technical Talk

When normal mapping assets what is better ?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
Question from a newbie

Should i build an highpoly model first or should i start with a lowpoly and then refine everything and convert to a normal map ? im asking because im stuck at just thinking about it and i cant really makeup my mind around creating a N.M

I think i got the normal map virgin syndrome, can someone point me out in the good direction ?

Thanks confused.gif

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    99.9% of people will tell you to make the high poly first, myself included. then you can make the low poly using the hi as a guide
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think you should just keep doing what you are doing now, its all art and thats all that matters! in fact i bet a lot of people don't know as much about normal mapping as you do, so that pretty much makes you skilled by default

Good Job!
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    99.9% of people will tell you to make the high poly first, myself included. then you can make the low poly using the hi as a guide

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can make things easy for yourself by reusing some parts of the high poly base mesh in the low poly, after optimising of course smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I've wondered is how do you build a low poly model around your high poly if you're working with millions of polys? If if you go down a few levels and export a version to build from you usually still wind up with a seriously laggy modelling package.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Level 2 or 3 from zbrush is pretty much as high as you'd need for a base high detail model to work around. Since you're aiming at keeping the silhouette close to the high poly model, the silhoutte on level 2 or 3 is pretty much exactly what it will be on the highest level, it's just missing the micro detail.

If you have lag problems then you can break up the high res mesh into parts and stick them in different layers, so you only need to have one bit shown at a time.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I also tend to save copies of my hipoly model early on in the modeling process. Before I've added smaller details. I can then use this to make the lowpoly.