Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dug up an old head, free style sculpting on her.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stimpack polycounter lvl 10
So I was feeling artsy and wanted to creat something just on a whim, and I found an old head I made for the generals challenge waaaaaay back when. So I loaded her up in zbrush and went at it. I have no direction at this point, im just pushing and pulling and going with what comes out. Let me know what ya think, and toss out some ideas for smaller details. I need to start on her dreads next, then its on to smaller details.

oh and the original design for the base mesh was drawn by richkid, just droppin credit where due.

here is original from long ago...
originalconcept.jpg

and here are some sculps...
yoods.jpg
yippy.jpg
yada.jpg

Replies

• richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    toss it out philly, dont live in the past. those were good times, but are gone now.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never!! when ur bored and dont feel like pushin verts around, diggin up the past is the way to go =) im gonna finish this bitch once and for all!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah not sure about this one Phil. I would say redo the whole thing if you are gonna rework it. Right now it feels too soft to me. It doesn't seem like a face but rather something made of playdoh.

When are you venturing back to San Diego? I'm stuck in Maine for another week and a half. It's like hillbilly hell here.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks like hes still defining the shapes give im a chance tongue.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks rooster! everyone else just haters =P ya i bet main does suck, im stuck in hill billy hell too, louisiana is wet and cold =(

ok heres a small update, i been hung over so i didnt feel like workin yesterday. Now that im back in the swing of things i keep finding verts randomly pulled across the mesh. I have no idea whats causing it but when i try to clean them up it just produces more then will crash my computer =( its fuking frustrating. anyhelp is appreciated!

1.jpg

shib.jpg

lkj.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and last post of the day...
    i refined the eye area, lips and adjusted some perportions that i didnt like. I think its starting to come together.

oh and to fix the little spike problem i was having, it turns out something broke loose inside my comp, so i did a little operation put everything back together and cleaned her. Now she workin just fine =)

shibi.jpg
    hootchi.jpg
    3.jpg

thoughts anyone?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    looks like a nali
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, I'm just wondering why you're posting big images with low-res pixels visible?
    Are you using the "canvas zoom" in zbrush, rather than zooming the tool itself?
    If you hold down ALT and click and drag outside the canvas, then let go of ALT, it should zoom in and out, meaning you can get close-up shots without it getting pixellated.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not too sure what a nali is.

pictures are pixilated b/c im just doing screen grabs, i have no idea how to render out of zbrush an image. I did your zoom trick (i use that alot) and it still pixilates, might just be my settings?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, weird, it shouldn't do that at all if the zoom is working properly (ie. when you're in Edit mode on your Tool).
    Screengrabs are fine, but it's definitely the "canvas zoom" which is making the silhouette pixellated, that shouldn't happen.

a nali was one of the creature/character types in the Unreal series of games, they were tall 4-armed creatures with heads fairly similar to this smile.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh found what your talking about =) im slow hehe.

i thought u were talkin about that nali, but wasnt sure so i google imaged it and i got boobs. oh well was just as happy =)
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small progress update, just b/c i like to post =D

it seems like this is taking for ever to get any little thing done, and its b/c im not using symetry, im doing both sides by hand =/ not the smartest thing, but its good practice! atleast thats what i tell myself b/c my symetry doesnt work.

i worked the ears, and i felt she needed some kind of design on the top of her skull...why u ask? i have no idea, was sippin my tea and it just came to me.

cheers.

oh and ignore the candy looking hair, i got bored =)

rock.jpg
    rockin.jpg
    rookin.jpg
    hah.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Damn I figured it out Phil. Now I know where I remember this chick from. I was drunk as hell in Sydney, Australia and this is what I woke up next to. I'll never try to out drink another Aussie Girl...