Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

East's mixed bag

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
East polycounter lvl 14
I thought I would start one of those threads where I post some loose stuff I make, instead of starting new threads for every bald-headed bust I make. I realise I am new here, and I will share some constructive thoughts to other people's stuff, as soon as I feel I have something interesting to say. So much awesome work around here that it both inspires me, and makes me feel rather insignificant. A lot of the time I just think, "what could I possibly contribute..?" smile.gif

So, the first thing I have is this here bald guy with a plate at the back of his head. It's made out of a base mesh I modeled in Maya, inspired by Pedro's awesome Ben character (maybe you can see the influence). He was fleshed out in Mudbox to the best of my abilities, and while doing an asymmetry pass I got carried away and added a metal plate at the back of his head. Hence the name.

I wasn't going for total realism, but something you might call exaggerated reality, or some such. No references were used for any musculature.

plate.jpg

Replies

• verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work, I just thought a render of him with a perplexed look and an extra bolt in his (eventual) hand would be awesome. I can't wait to get MudBox myself.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Had some time today to figure out where to go next with this character. Thinking of making some kind of futuristic soldier out of him, and this is what I've got so far.

marine_wip_01.jpg

Right now I'm blocking out the shapes. Pretty much nothing of the shirt will be visible the way I'm figuring it out at the moment. Hands will be covered in gloves, so I will be modelling them separately. Anatomy of the arms isn't exactly stellar, but most will be covered up anyway.

I'm still messing with scale on the low mesh level, trying to find a nice balance in proportions. The legs look a bit short at the moment, but they are cut off halfway down the shins as high boots will be over most of them. Pants have lots of detail left to be added.

Right now I'm thinking of whipping up some concept art so I can find a direction and stick to it smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    HOT!

Dont know why but i love the arms.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Unsurprisingly I grew tired of working on the above character and haven't had time to do any new personal work lately, until a couple of days ago. I started using arshlevon's Baseman, slightly modified to suit my needs. This is what I've got so far:

soldierman_wip_01.jpg
    soldierman_wip_02.jpg

Right now I'm working on getting the folds on the clothing worked out just to get a basic flow going. Nothing too detailed as equipment is going to change it (for example the way the knee armour does - still haven't adapted the right leg to it).

The head is temporary and will be replaced once I get around to it. Right now I'm focusing on the body. Next step will be to do some paintovers over the 3D model to see what kind of gear will work..
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice.
    Arms and hands look great grin.gif
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Hands and arms are always interesting to sculpt. I kind of wish I had used some reference material because the tripceps are a bit messed up, among other things. I also forgot to turn on symmetry across X when fixing the left arm, so right now it looks better than the right arm. I wish Mudbox had a mirror/symmetry function so I could easily transfer the position of selected vertices on the left arm, to the right arm..

Other than that, Mudbox is by far some of the best money I've spent. Only second to the Luxology modo license (which I wouldn't trade for any other modeling package in a million years).
  • Vidar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vidar polycounter lvl 17
    Erhm... Mudbox does have a mirror function laugh.gif

Just select a couple of faces on the side that you want to mirror to the other side of your mesh and chose Layers > Mirror > X.

Good luck, hope that helps!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I decided to actually look for that function right after I had posted, and found it. Kind of embarrassing, having worked with Mudbox for so (relatively) long now without knowing about that particular tidbit. Thank you anyway for pointing it out without making me feel like a complete idiot (I did that all on my own) smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i love that knee armor pad=)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe, the armour pads have unfortunately changed to a more simple version. They were too bulky, and as I'm trying to keep this guy somewhat agile-looking, they had to be simplified. They will be getting more detailed, though. Just not more bulky.

So, I started added some equipment and a few placeholder containers. Skipping the concept stage so far as it's just not working for me at the moment. There's some straps and buckles missing here and there, and I need to make it clear that the collar of his shirt is in fact an extra padded one.

soldierman_wip_03.jpg
    soldierman_wip_04.jpg