Home General Discussion

stock tips

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
Since I've found that one of the smartest ways to invest money is to follow the advice of people on internet forums, does anyone have any stock tips lately that they feel like sharing with the rest of us?

How many of you guys play the stock market at all?

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i want to be rich too so cmon internet people tell me what to do. smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Buy hi and sell low, or is it the other way around...

Basically to make money off the market it takes allot of research and time.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    According to the Chinese guys that keep emailing me, you all should be buying oil stocks and stem cell companies. They email me atleast 20 times a day so they must be serious.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Sun Microsystems seems to have a trend of being fairly low in the spring and summer, but almost triples in the fall and winter. For awhile it was fairly steady at being low in August and peaking in December, but It seems to be shifting around now.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    put all your money in waffles, delicious and tasty waffles.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you put the cans on the shelf, labels go out...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    frozen orange juice.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Buy hi and sell low

[/ QUOTE ]Not using The God Zero as a stock broker would probably be my first piece of advice for you tongue.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sony

[/ QUOTE ]

I think waiting just a tad more till sony hits a real low point would probably be a good bet. A year back was probably the best time to buy. I'd be willing to bet it'll start steadily rising at a decent clip in the near future.
  • sharetips033
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Since I've found that one of the smartest ways to invest money is to follow the advice of people on internet forums, does anyone have any stock tips lately that they feel like sharing with the rest of us?

How many of you guys play the stock market at all?

Hi, i am also looking for some one who give me more detail of stock market. Also tips to invest.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i play a stock market simulation. http://www.investopedia.com/

you can get tips there as well as start off with "$100,000" to invest. follows the real market but you dont lose anything! or gain anything :(
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    spam bot necro post!

So, who got rich?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Ozymandias wrote: »
    put all your money in waffles, delicious and tasty waffles.
    WAFUURUU! WAFURUUUUU!!!
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    00Zero wrote: »
    i play a stock market simulation. http://www.investopedia.com/

you can get tips there as well as start off with "$100,000" to invest. follows the real market but you dont lose anything! or gain anything :(

cool. I do the same. I've been using wallstreetsurvivor since its partnered with e-trade. Fun to see how bad I am. :poly124:

http://www.wallstreetsurvivor.com/
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    I like reading the animation guild blog and they regularly give decent advice on investing for retirement (hint: they like index funds).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    So you're saying I shouldn't have just put my life's savings into his stock tip? :(
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    the irony is that investing in Sony right now is probably a good idea... they lost a lot of money with PSN being down.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    It really depends how much your looking to invest...

How much?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apple seem like a good investment... or at least they would've been a year ago.

May 2010 - £250
    May 2011 - £350

I think you have to buy multiple shares though right? I know little about it but it seems to make any kind of decent return, you need a lot of money to invest initially and are either prepared to wait a long time for a return, or gamble on quick share dealing.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    Been doing the stock market for a long time now.
    Yes you do need to invest a good chunk of change to see a really good return.
    I bought some Baidu stock last yr which is the Google of search engines in China.
    The stock split and picked it up at a good price.
    LinkedIn is set to go public May 19. http://mashable.com/2011/05/16/linkedin-ipo-3/
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    For those in Canada, you can setup a TFSA (tax free savings account), use the money in it to play the stock market and any capital gains is tax free.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, i just did that tfsa setup to trade with, its awesome. the most important thing you can do is do your own research and avoid "hot stock tips" people love to pump a stock up quickly then it crashes and you get fucked. look into sectors based on things people will always need, like commodities.

silver was doing awesome for a while, seems to be correcting a bit as of late but will probably bounce back up in the near future as the US keeps printing money and de-valuing its currency. if a change in the world reserve currency happens like there is a good chance it will, chances are anything US based will be fucked for a while. while stuff like lulu lemon might seem hot right now, if the US goes into economic collapse, people wont have any extra cash to spend on useless stuff like and it will tank hard.

look at what people are going to need in the long run, industrial metals are booming, copper and iron had huge jumps over the last couple years, at the current rate of consumption Tin is going to be gone in around 4-5 years, shit is just running out. there is also the energy and food crisis's happening and energy in particular is going to be a problem within 10 years at the current rate china and India is growing.

like I said, it all comes down to researching companies and paying attention to what is going on in the world. the main thing most financial analysts keep hammering on that i have read is dont just have your money sitting in US dollars in a bank account. chances are your 1.5%-2% interest rate you are making is nowhere near enough to even cover the cost of inflation, which they claim is ~3% but that has pretty much been proven by every financial analyst to be a complete fuckin lie, with the actual rate around 5-8%

I started reading/researching this stuff a while back and the initial feeling I got besides overwhelming rage, is that banks are complete cunts and there is no way you can rely on them to actually do anything to help you make significant returns, they are looking out for themselves and have been proven to be consistently screwing over their customers by gambling with their money.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Another few things to consider are how much money you're able to lose, as in, don't invest money that you can't bear to lose. Whatever you do invest, make sure to take into account the costs of your investment, for instance how much your broker is charging you to buy your stock, keep an account with them, and then sell that stock. Then there are also your debts. I have student loan debts, some with an interest rate of 6.8%, so this means that if I wanted to invest in the stock market, any money I did would have to eventually beat out how much debt it could have paid down in a similar amount of time.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    ok since fukushima germany has really made a fuzz about shutting down their nuclear power plants. where will they get their power from then? most likely short term! (much money short time) 5-10 years. they will need to replace their power with gas power, so who can supply them with that? Russia, put your money into russian gas.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I have always been a fan of insider trading. I made a boat load of money selling all my Sony stock on April 19th.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Tinned food and shotguns.
    Also, hitting up those nice Nigerian chaps that email me seems to do the trick. As soon as that cheque clears...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Gold

Clean energy

and

No one wants to tell their secrets because then those stocks will go low, those two are the general picks expand on that.
    Implants!!!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ok since fukushima germany has really made a fuzz about shutting down their nuclear power plants. where will they get their power from then? most likely short term! (much money short time) 5-10 years. they will need to replace their power with gas power, so who can supply them with that? Russia, put your money into russian gas.

actually we have so much power that we reached a new record for selling capacitys to other EU countrys.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    fyi - a spammer bumped this post, it's been deleted so don't attack SnowInChina.

If anyone bought a bunch of gold you might want to pay attention to the market right now, prices are dropping. (yes I have a perverse joy in the idea of the gold bubble bursting)
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Since the post is here anyway, Disney has been climbing up pretty well since buying Lucasfilm, even after the recent layoffs. Stock in my simulator app went from $25000 to $32000 in a few months.
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    I cant say I'm a pro investor but I did make a bit of money and learned a few tips&tricks. I will try to hare them:

1: It's not easy and not fast money [it might feel that sometimes but its not) it require patience. Make sure that you wont need that money in the near future.

2: Research!!! The most important part! You don't need a PHD in economics but read at least a book about it [or a few good articles/blogs]. One of my friends that is a broker told me to invest ONLY in something you understand. Pick stocks/indexes that you can read about and you understand what they do. Ex: Disney, Mc Donalds, ActivisionBlizzard. Pick companies that you can google and you understand there activity. I will never invest in some alternative energy company [even if ppl say there will be money there] simply because I don't have a knowledge of the market. Same goes for pharmaceuticals:) I followed ATVI closely ever year and made good money with every release ActivisionBlizzard made simply because I knew CoD, SC2, WOW expansions sell like nothing else.

3: READ the news! A simple interview or opinion of a well known broker/journalist can skyrocket or f** up a stock in days! I suggest spending 20-30 mins [while you take a dump] reading the newspaper or watching some random money channel. Do it for a few weeks to get the hang of it and understand how it works. THEN decide for yourself if u still want to invest and how much. Otherwise contact a real broker [they take a fee] and let them handle your money.

People that just want to 'invest' because they have the money tend to lose it pretty fast. Rather go a play blackjack or bet on sports.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe you want to invest in the same system that makes our careers so unreliable. So what if you invest in another sector, you're just screwing over another worker for the sake of a higher stock price.

If you do invest, as said, do it with something direct like gold. Not by putting it into corporations.

(That or bitcoin.... ;) )
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy: well, if you are going to go that deep, investing in Gold isn't an ethical thing either:

"The International Labor Organization, the labor agency of the United Nations, estimates that tens of thousands of children work in gold mining and considers any child labor in mining as a “worst form” of labor because of the dangerous conditions."

and as far as Bitcoin, that crashed pretty hard recently
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your absolutely right. That being said would you have choice where your purchased gold came from? Somewhat like the companies that sell diamonds from fair practice sources.

Bitcoin actually in the longterm is getting higher.

Either way I fully stand behind my sadness of the shortsightedness used to justify stock purchase here. This willful ignorance has helped create so many of the worlds woes with the push of making the stockowners investment value worth more and more for the shorterm over anything else the company might otherwise decide.

Next time layoffs occur I better not see any of the investors here claim sadness or frustration with the situation.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Either way I fully stand behind my sadness of the shortsightedness used to justify stock purchase here. This willful ignorance has helped create so many of the worlds woes with the push of making the stockowners investment value worth more and more for the shorterm over anything else the company might otherwise decide.

Stocks are the best long term investment you can make.

Invest in an indexed ETF (example: http://ca.ishares.com/product_info/fund/performance/XIU.htm) and leave it alone for 25 years.

I used to do things like short oil for fun. :poly124:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol @ demonizing the entire stock industry. Stop putting money into your IRAs people, its unethical!

Seriously though, investing in stocks on your own takes a lot of knowledge, time, dedication, risk, etc. You're probably better off working with an equity firm that has professionals dealing with the day-to-day aspect of it unless you really know what you're doing.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. Actually it is EQ. Even more so than regular stock invesment if you don't know where your ira is going.

Ryan, thats not my point. Stock is one of the most unethical ways to invest as well. Its extremely delusional to invest in such and then wonder why our career is so fubar.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way to ethically buy gold, if you help drive up it's price you are helping to make slave drivers rich.

*sent from my iPad, LOL*
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. Actually it is EQ. Even more so than regular stock invesment if you don't know where your ira is going.

Ryan, thats not my point. Stock is one of the most unethical ways to invest as well. Its extremely delusional to invest in such and then wonder why our career is so fubar.

So what is the alternative? Bonds aren't really worth putting your money into, moneymarket accounts pay about the same as the average savings account at your corner bank(ie: total shit) even if you have a huge chunk of money to put into a CD the interest rates are pathetic. Simply saying "stock market = evil" without suggesting a viable alternative isn't really productive.

I think blaming all of our industries problems on the stock market is extremely naive. We've got tons more issues than ceos laying people off to appease shareholders. Although this is a problem, it wouldn't stop being a problem overnight if game studios were no longer publicly traded. Take away the stocks and you're dealing with private investment, with the exact same problems.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Invest in things that you believe have value. Renewable energy, for example.

You need to take steps to be independent if you believe your career is fubar.

Investing in stocks gave me the funds to start a new career and not be dependent on games for 100% of my income. Working on games part-time is a lot more fun.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natural gas seems to be blowin' up - but don't take my word for it, do some research.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Your absolutely right. That being said would you have choice where your purchased gold came from? Somewhat like the companies that sell diamonds from fair practice sources.

Bitcoin actually in the longterm is getting higher.

Next time layoffs occur I better not see any of the investors here claim sadness or frustration with the situation.

Its my understanding the gold prices are dropping.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-are-gold-prices-dropping-2013-4

http://www.usagold.com/cpmforum/

http://goo.gl/EfoU0

You might want to buy and wait for prices to go up or just wait it out and see if it keeps going down.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    So what is the alternative? Bonds aren't really worth putting your money into, moneymarket accounts pay about the same as the average savings account at your corner bank(ie: total shit) even if you have a huge chunk of money to put into a CD the interest rates are pathetic. Simply saying "stock market = evil" without suggesting a viable alternative isn't really productive.

I guess a better phrase than evil or unethical would be non ethical and unmoral. You cannot shrug off the number one goal of a public company is to create higher investment return for the stock holders. Period. A public company cannot think long term as stockholders want more, not static or slightly less. Even if such would allow the company to be in a better position.

Much of the worlds economic distribution and environmental come from this result. Send the work overseas even though in the long run your creating a skills vacuum back home. Produce energy as it stands without being allowed to investigate and research new methods. Market and overprice ineffective drugs versus researching and producing cures. Fight against pollution control even though it reduces your workers output.

Absolutely, private companies can play this same game. But a private company has a choice. They have leaders who can try to see for the long term survival of their company without becoming a giant conglomerate.
    I think blaming all of our industries problems on the stock market is extremely naive.

It is naive to say all, which is why I didn't.
    We've got tons more issues than ceos laying people off to appease shareholders. Although this is a problem, it wouldn't stop being a problem overnight if game studios were no longer publicly traded. Take away the stocks and you're dealing with private investment, with the exact same problems.

Yes, and No. A bank wants to be repaid with interest. Its only goal is to make sure you survive long enough for such. A private investor is an individual, which means they don't necessarily have to demand the absolute highest return if the owners can show reasons. In short, there is a few humans at the other end. Not a large mass of anonymous investors with different shares amounts. You the Ceo can only take one thing away from these masses as a whole. MAKE MORE MONEY! That is your job the board hired you for as representation from the stock.

So is your answer is if you can't beat them, join them? If so, sounds like an excuse not to change and instead have a blind eye to the rest of the worlds problems caused by said system.

Can you the individual change the system? No. But you don't have to limply follow it either.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy: You still haven't actually suggested an alternative, you're just ranting about "the system" and "the man". I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but you're running in circles complaining without offering any solutions.

What form of investment would you advise someone to put their money into? That is the point of this thread.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Renewable and environmentally clean manufacturing or energy production.

Whatever company that develops the Coup de grace for fossil fuels will be rich beyond what several generations could spend. The likelihood of that happening is increasing with each ?day?(year) and we should as predicted be in the largest energy generation shift by 2050. 2050 seems to be the magic number for most development models these days, but around that point will be the peak of clean energy, at least that's theorised.

So yeah, clean and renewable sources of energy, resources, production ect are the Long term way to go.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyanB wrote: »
    Invest in things that you believe have value. Renewable energy, for example.

Renewable/Green or even Goggles "do no evil" are sentimental feelings outside the scope of what buying their stock will do. At the end the manager (ceo) will have to make decisions that create the largest revenue in the shortest time period no matter the long term cost.

Whether that be sending RnD and production overseas, or using cheaper or un safe materials to make the profit per unit higher.

You need to take steps to be independent if you believe your career is fubar.

Not my career, our career. The only way to have some level of security in this industry working in AAA especially is to be a B level or higher executive (but not Ceo, though most make so much severance and have so many fingers in pies, they won't have to worry if their kid has to have an emergency operation).
    Investing in stocks gave me the funds to start a new career and not be dependent on games for 100% of my income. Working on games part-time is a lot more fun

Fun for you. At the cost of the people who almost assuredly got screwed over along the way for your investment to raise.

Think what would happen if a company had no shareholders. They could more easily save, reinvest, and even offer more job security/benefits for their employees. Oh, I am absolutely sure some owners wouldn't look at the big picture and screw the employees over. They however wouldn't have people like you. I also agree though they couldn't expand as fast without that share support (which to me is a good thing because of the strings attached).

The only type of share holding I personally believe in is employee only private sharing.

Someone (EDIT: Earthquake) asked then what is the way to invest? Here is an example. You won't make much but you will be making a difference. Those sites that list business plans for like a small community in Africa who want to purchase a milk cold storage unit to get their product to market after it normally would have spoiled. They just need that small loan to purchase the 10k unit from a bunch of small loaners like yourself.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone (EDIT: Earthquake) asked then what is the way to invest? Here is an example. You won't make much but you will be making a difference. Those sites that list business plans for like a small community in Africa who want to purchase a milk cold storage unit to get their product to market after it normally would have spoiled. They just need that small loan to purchase the 10k unit from a bunch of small loaners like yourself.

Yay a real suggestion!

Micro loans are cool for a variety reasons. I would love to know more about them. Do you know what the average return on this sort of thing would be? I've thought about micro loans before but have always been too lazy to seriously look into it.

One thing to keep in mind with return rates though, if your return on investment is lower than the average rate of inflation, you're losing money. At least from a basic economics standpoint.

Also more general microloan Q's:
    Any organizations you've worked with that you would recommend? I don't really know where to start.

Any licensed brokerages that you can do it through? Most profit matching retirement funds that you get through an employer are going to be limited in regards to where you can actually invest the money (and opting out means leaving a lot of free money on the table, for instance my wife's employer matches $2 for every $1 she puts in, which is awesome).

What sort of risks are involved?